Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Intrigue!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Kobold

Post Pay to the Order of:

~~~
(cont'd)

"Sorry to be so curt. The name's Nestral TGaza; Rogue Guildmaster, and Grandmaster."

"Now for the business at hand..."

"I'm listening..."

"Sharpen a blade for this one, you'll need it."

"Someone is late on their payments ..again, so I'm afraid I'm going to need to send a strong message..."

"Take this note. I need you to run over to Rebby and Janam's, outside of the Theater of the Tranquil. Do this at once!"

(I nod.)

"Sure. I can run over to Rebby and Janam's..."

I accept the note and hurriedly depart from the dusky hidden enclave that I'd stumbled upon. It made sense that she was a Rogue Guildmaster, that *almost* explained everything; it certainly removed any question as to the dead bodies laying about...

As I head over to the Theater with my newly found mission, I can't help but wonder about the strange barroom conversation that had led me to my current, yet markedly odd situation...

Upon reaching the theater, I notice a peasant woman struggling to fill buckets of water. I offer a hand, but she seems to casually ignore me, so I swiftly duck behind Rebby and Janam's tent and slowly draw a weapon without raising suspicion...

I choke up on my grip and pull the tip of the spear against Rebby's throat, catching him off guard with a choke hold from behind. I fashion the note from my bag and hold it in front of him to read as a small bit of his blood runs down the length of my spear and coats my knuckles.

"I believe you are expecting this?"

(Rebby acknowledges my question to the best of his limited ability...)

I release my hold and Rebby frantically showers me with apologies as he motions to Janam to "pay up." Janam hands me a small bag full of money and insists that it will never happen again as I head back to Miss TGaza with the payment...
~~~
Last edited by AkashicRecord; 11-02-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Kobold

Post "Freeport's Finest..."

~~~
(cont'd):

"I knew I could count on you."

Those were the first words I hear upon returning to Miss TGaza with the loot.

"Wasn't even a problem... except for this..."

(I show her the blood on my hands and spear.)

"I'll make sure that Lucan gets the good word."

"You're dismissed, unless there's something else I can help you with?"

I again considered asking about the dead bodies, or even asking her about the escaped Iksar prisoner from Firiona Vie... something... anything other than just simply walking away...

For some reason I'm unable to come up with anything as she tosses me a single, measly copper piece and sends me on my way. I hustle back to the Militia House a whole penny richer...

Just inside the barracks, Guard Fikus yells over to me, promptly getting my attention:

"Valon was looking for you over in West Commons earlier... Oh, and tell Colin I said, 'Hi.'"

(I nod in acknowledgement.)

A sweet, savory aroma emanates from the mess hall, so I slip in for a quick bite and depart for West Commons to see what Guard Valon could possibly need of me. (If it's another set of Orc Pawn Picks, I'm going to freak.) Unfortunately, there wasn't any Griffin Stew on the menu...

Knowing that I'll probably run into at least one griffin, I cast an Invisibility vs. Animals spell on myself for a more effortless passage through the Commons, casually remembering how that particular magic had already saved my own hide on more than one occasion.

Immediately inside the front gate of Freeport, some argument breaks out between that big pickle-peddling ogre and some rather seedy-looking clientele. During the scuffle (while no one was paying any mind), I manage to grab a few bottles from the ground. "Paladin Pickles" were written in some incredibly bad Ogre handwriting.

The quick trek through East Commons into the Western side goes without much hassle, and I head directly to the Toll Booth.

"Fikus says, 'Hi!'"

"Hey, it's been a while! You doing well?"

"I'm good, but I could use some time off..."

"Dellin can probably pull some strings for you, but I have a task for you first."

"I need you to hunt the Dervish Cutthroats--"

(I interrupt him and dump out dozens of Cutthroat Insignia Rings onto the ground and remove a few from my own hands...)

"What the?!"

"Well, you certainly earned *this*...

Guard Valon hands me a Reserve Militia Token and I immediately know what to do with it...
~~~

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Freeport's Newest... And most certainly, "finest.")
Old 11-03-2017, 06:44 PM
Kobold

(The proper name of the token is the "Militia Armory Token." Sorry for not catching that typo.) :P
Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

A+ Keep 'em coming! Love the pictures.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkashicRecord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(The proper name of the token is the "Militia Armory Token." Sorry for not catching that typo.) :P
Neat I never seen this token thing either. Wonder what other quests you will find. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Kobold

Post "A Wisping we will go..."

~~~
(cont'd):

...suffice to say that I finally managed to receive my Reserve Militia tunic, and I have to say that the blood red color complements me quite nicely... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Took you long enough..."

"...just kidding."

Armorer Dellin comments as I flip him the token.

"Don't get too much blood on it; or should I say, don't get too much of the *wrong* blood on it."

He goes on to inform me that I've earned a large amount of time off for a special reprieve. I'm asked what I want to do with my time, so I give it some thought:

"Wisps."

"I want to kill wisps. Will-o-wisps."

"That incessant <buzzing> gets on my nerves! How do they even BUZZ!?"

"Haven't you ever wanted to just ...bash one right into the ground??"

(Armorer Dellin gives me a rather odd look and furrows his brow.)

"That's pretty sick 'T'... Real sick..."

"You know, I heard there's a bounty on bandit sashes. If you're going that way..."

"Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll bring you back one."

I tie up a few loose ends around the Militia House before heading to my bunk to pack for the trip. I plan to head out at dawn and take a rest over at High Keep, depending on how the day goes, of course... I carefully place my new "uniform" in my footlocker, making sure not to scuff even a single chain link.

On the way out of the barracks, a delicious aroma wafts over from the mess hall and smells distinctly of Karana carrots and fresh galangal.
~~~
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

I really like how you've captured the feel of being part of an "evil" faction without being cartoonishly evil, it's more of a brotherhood of thugs who don't think they're thugs. Great writing, please keep it up!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like how you've captured the feel of being part of an "evil" faction without being cartoonishly evil, it's more of a brotherhood of thugs who don't think they're thugs. Great writing, please keep it up!
That's reality. One can be a terrorist or a freedom fighter, it just depends on who you ask.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Kobold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, and definitely will do. I appreciate all the comments and criticisms. I'm in the process of formatting the next part, so that should be coming anytime Real Soon Now™ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For some material, I'm taking real encounters with players and quoting them whenever possible...so if you run into me in game, you might end up in here, so wear your best attire. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]