Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who killed the Night King?
Yes, Arya's plot is something that couldn't have happened twenty years ago. It's awesome, and a sign of progress ...

... but that hardly means "yay everyone is equal now". The exact point the article made was that yes, there are strong female roles in GoT, something major dramas didn't use to have. Those women have agency, and that's awesome relative to before ...

... but still, point me to a female redemption arc in GoT. Or in other popular media today. The fact that it's so hard to do so just proves that there are stories we aren't telling. Much of our society does not get the same heroes to look up to that we (as presumably white straight males) do get ... eg. stories of redemption.

So it's true that before women didn't even have an "Arya" to look up to. Now they do. I don't in any way want to diminish how cool that is for women. But again, it doesn't mean that now half our society gets to see themselves reflected in half of our society's stories.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, Arya's plot is something that couldn't have happened twenty years ago. It's awesome, and a sign of progress ...

... but that hardly means "yay everyone is equal now". The exact point the article made was that yes, there are strong female roles in GoT, something major dramas didn't use to have. Those women have agency, and that's awesome relative to before ...

... but still, point me to a female redemption arc in GoT. Or in other popular media today. The fact that it's so hard to do so just proves that there are stories we aren't telling. Much of our society does not get the same heroes to look up to that we (as presumably white straight males) do get ... eg. stories of redemption.

It's a fucking TV series bro. If they took the time to go out of the way and make it overtly-ladden with SJW bullshit like that stupid fucking Aquaman movie with the underwater sexist WHITE nazis, I wouldn't watch it.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a fucking TV series bro. If they took the time to go out of the way and make it overtly-ladden with SJW bullshit like that stupid fucking Aquaman movie with the underwater sexist WHITE nazis, I wouldn't watch it.
You said you love your wife and daughters. Why don't they deserve to have heroes like them on TV with stories of redemption? Why do only you deserve it?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now you can't on one hand say that doesn't matter, and then at the same time talk about how significant Game of Thrones is for our culture.
Who the fuck said that it was significant for our culture and needed to MIRE all the leftist bullshit?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

So it's true that before women didn't even have an "Arya" to look up to. Now they do. I don't in any way want to diminish how cool that is for women. But again, it doesn't mean that now half our society gets to see themselves reflected in half of our society's stories.
Is there a character that brought a huge army to conquer Westeros but chose to save everyone instead?

Did she ever do anything bad? Did she, like Melisandre, burn people?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
You said you love your wife and daughters. Why don't they deserve to have heroes like them on TV with stories of redemption? Why do only you deserve it?
I don't make heroes out of fictional TV characters. That's called idolatry. Furthermore, there are plenty of examples of Female Heroes in contemporary pop culture; and painstaking steps are made toward making "normal" heterosexual men out toward being supervillains, at the same time.
Last edited by Thorondor; 04-30-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there a character that brought a huge army to conquer Westeros but chose to save everyone instead?

Did she ever do anything bad? Did she, like Melisandre, burn people?
LOL even Wonkie is calling contrived bullshit on this.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't make heroes out of fictional TV characters. That's called idolatry.
No female heroes in your book of make believe either.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Who the fuck said that it was significant for our culture and needed to MIRE all the leftist bullshit?
This is just one (currently eleven page) thread, of many, on a single 20-year old elf sim forum. There are many more, just here, and literally tens (hundreds?) of thousands of others out there on the web, all talking on this show.

So I guess what I meant was you can't do all this talking about a show on one hand and then pretend like "it's just some TV show, it doesn't matter for anything".

But again, why don't your daughters deserve to see redemption arcs of women on TV?

Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL even Wonkie is calling contrived bullshit on this.
Feminism is still good I just think the article is uncalled for in this specific example
Closed Thread