Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Fire Giant

Default Shissar Focus Staff

How good is this item in actual fact? https://wiki.project1999.com/Shissar_Focus_Staff

The 16 second cast time seems like it makes it fairly limited in use at first glance. But seeing as there are many situations where a charm break necessitates mezzing all mobs in play you would - in theory - have enough time to click the stick and never have to spend mana on charming (up to lvl 49 stuff).
Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Kobold

Well let's see.

The spell, Alluring Whispers, sits between Cajoling Whispers (195 mana, 5.5 second cast, level 46 mobs) and Allure (245 mana, 6 second cast, level 51 mobs).

They didn't follow the general pattern of Kunark clickies of free at twice the cast time.

There's no hitpoints on it -- which makes it less of a candidate for a permanent place in the primary slot. It doesn't refresh gems like the Rod of Insidious Glamour and has less CHA. I wouldn't want to spend 16 seconds casting anything with a fight going on -- which means it's only useful for initial charm of level 49 and below mobs under controlled circumstance or edge cases when you've got everything locked down but went OOM getting there.

It's neat but i wouldn't blow all my DKP on it.

Edit: Your typical fight is going to be a fettered mob vs your charmed pet. Using this over Allure means an extended ten seconds where fetter could break while re-charming the pet. I feel like I would die more often from that than saving 245 mana on charms.
Last edited by Barm McLir; 10-30-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How good is this item in actual fact? https://wiki.project1999.com/Shissar_Focus_Staff

The 16 second cast time seems like it makes it fairly limited in use at first glance. But seeing as there are many situations where a charm break necessitates mezzing all mobs in play you would - in theory - have enough time to click the stick and never have to spend mana on charming (up to lvl 49 stuff).
This is an awesome item, and served to help me solo my enchanter with much greater efficiency from when I got it (around level 55) until 60. It frees up a spell slot which can be used for Wandering Mind, giving additional mana regen and decreasing downtime. It’s also very usable if your standard charm break methodology is PBAOE stub -> Mez > Charm, which it needs to be unless you are using Boltran’s anyway. And until you are doing high end solo content or raiding, it’s unlikely you are using Boltran’s with any regularity because it’s just too mana intensive.

That being said - once I got past leveling in HS North/West, it became mostly a novelty. I’ve debated moving it out of my bags, but I just can’t make myself do it yet. I have used it a handful of times since I hit 60 back in late may, because the content I do regularly now requires a different recharm system (the moment you start charming summoners and other nasties, mezzing during charm breaks feels way worse).

It is also a great stat item for an up and coming non-Epic enchanter because few items have the stat density on it (maybe the Velk book gets close?).
Old 10-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

So, at 60 its usefulness is pretty limited. I guess a 60 enc doesn’t very often even charm sub level 50 mobs?

In my case I’d be looking at getting to 60 before considering prioritizing getting a VP key. Is the enc robe worth getting? The dot seems so feeble but free dmg is nice
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by commongood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, at 60 its usefulness is pretty limited. I guess a 60 enc doesn’t very often even charm sub level 50 mobs?

In my case I’d be looking at getting to 60 before considering prioritizing getting a VP key. Is the enc robe worth getting? The dot seems so feeble but free dmg is nice
The mana pool is also a lot bigger on a 60. As i have spent more time doing harder content, the way I play the game had changed, and the click is less useful the way I play now.

The robe is a novelty. It’s mana free damage but DoTs are scary with enchanters, so unless it’s something that’s going to live for a while and not need to be Mezzed, it will sit in the bag.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylan295 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The mana pool is also a lot bigger on a 60. As i have spent more time doing harder content, the way I play the game had changed, and the click is less useful the way I play now.

The robe is a novelty. It’s mana free damage but DoTs are scary with enchanters, so unless it’s something that’s going to live for a while and not need to be Mezzed, it will sit in the bag.
I use the ever living fuck out of that robe. Baylan is 100% correct however. Do not use it if there's any chance you might have to mez the thing you're fighting. But if you are a reverse charmer like me, this robe will net you xp that will make your snake staff stiff

But I mean, if you get it at 60, you'll probably click it once a week or so for lolz unless you sell xp like I do
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Last edited by enjchanter; 10-30-2018 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

It's fun but not terribly useful. It saves you some mana on recharms relative to casting a charm and medding a couple ticks, when you're charming stuff under 50, which can be pretty often if you're tooling around in seb or something.

The most fun I ever had with one was reverse-charming to powerlevel. Give something buff with a lot of hp weapons and haste and keep it rooted, then clicky charm stuff and throw it at it until it's low, break with ring, let PLee finish off that mob as it flees while you go get another. Was pretty entertaining to do with 30s-40s characters.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use the ever living fuck out of that robe. Baylan is 100% correct however. Do not use it if there's any chance you might have to mez the thing you're fighting. But if you are a reverse charmer like me, this robe will net you xp that will make your snake staff stiff

But I mean, if you get it at 60, you'll probably click it once a week or so for lolz unless you sell xp like I do
I gotta ask, WTF is a 'reverse charmer'??
Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I gotta ask, WTF is a 'reverse charmer'??
The jist of it is you charm a mob make him gnarly with weapons, buffs, and the whole 9 then you root him. Proceed by charming other mobs and sending him and Mr. Beefy. Break charms before the thing dies and shoot a baby nuke at it.

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The jist of it is you charm a mob make him gnarly with weapons, buffs, and the whole 9 then you root him. Proceed by charming other mobs and sending him and Mr. Beefy. Break charms before the thing dies and shoot a baby nuke at it.
Wow, this actually sounds kinda badass. Charming the regular way gets boring sometimes. P.S. I lol'd at "Mr. Beefy"
Closed Thread