Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

Default Necro charming Servent of Sythrax

Hey, I just got to this camp at 33. Having a hard time with charm breaks and resists. Am I too low level for this spot? The level of mob seems appropriate.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

Go to Tofs until 40. Everything is undead on first floor. At 40 go to kaesora library until 48
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Banned

I remember going there at 32 and really struggled, mobs would aggro through walls, etc.

I'd say avoid.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

You should be in unrest basement/Hag tower in the 30s. Huge zem, basement isn't that contested, and hags die so fast.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember going there at 32 and really struggled, mobs would aggro through walls, etc.

I'd say avoid.
Yeah the monks hit HARD. And proc a dd that really messes me up!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should be in unrest basement/Hag tower in the 30s. Huge zem, basement isn't that contested, and hags die so fast.
Would I be charming said hags?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

If you're hunting the tower, charming isn't needed, I solo'd on my cleric np. There's 2 hags on a 6 min timer, then a middle spawn on the normal zone timer. They drop so fast if you catch them before they buff with undead nukes, but youll have no problems keeping up regardless. As far as basement, probably best to not charm the hags, as they are pretty much higher than the majority of the mobs, charm will hold better on other ones.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're hunting the tower, charming isn't needed, I solo'd on my cleric np. There's 2 hags on a 6 min timer, then a middle spawn on the normal zone timer. They drop so fast if you catch them before they buff with undead nukes, but youll have no problems keeping up regardless. As far as basement, probably best to not charm the hags, as they are pretty much higher than the majority of the mobs, charm will hold better on other ones.
Very cool! Thanks for the info
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Nononono, don't listen to anyone. Listen to me.

I've been advocating the Sythrax camp for years. Few people know it, it's well hidden, almost never camped, and is super good.

It's good because:
1 - mobs are and remain dubious to everyone and therefore aren't aggro (but will assist their friends)
2 - they are all undead and severe undercons
3 - You can do 29-40 at this camp in literally a couple days
4 - You almost can't die there as a necro (main reason: lag spike).
5 - You can bind right there. Just grab a ton of food/drink.
6 - no casters. The only spells they cast are instacast and won't break your FD

To start dominating you will need:
1 - maxed out Abjuration and Alteration
2 - prenerf CoS
3 - Jboots or lots of SoW pots. I recommend Jboots.
4 - HP gear is a decent plus. Go for HP, nothing else. Your resists or mana pool doesn't matter.

To kill there, you will need to reverse charm the mobs. Basically, charm a skel, send them into a group of his friends, they beat down on him, you stand as far as you can.

Wait until your pet is down to about 4-5 % of HP, break charm with CoS while having your pet targeted. They all start running to you. Start spamming lifetap and as soon as your pet is in the spell's range, the spell will go off and you will kill him, getting full exp for the kill.

You will have JUST enough time to use the CoS again to refresh your spell gems and immediately FD.

The mobs will stop just a couple feet away from you, but this will work every single time, except when FD fails.

If FD fails, you will have a split second to notice it (ie: the message "Soandso has fallen onto the ground"). Then you must immediately stand up (Ctrl-S or w/e shortcut you have configured - don't use the mouse, this is a camp where you use the keyboard almost exclusively. If you need to use the mouse, the camp isn't for you), and start strafe-running away from the mobs. Plan your escape routes accordingly, BEFORE sending your pet - your FD will fail every once in a while and if you haven't enough room to strafe run from the mobs until FD refreshes, you will probably die. While you strafe-run from the mobs, you need to outrun them enough to allow you to cast FD again after it refreshes, without being interrupted by the mobs melee.

Sometimes, if you elect to maximize the exp rate, you will take shortcuts that will make your escape route dangerous - use Harmshield if you need to kite the train THROUGH non-yet-aggroed mobs.

Wear HP gear. The mobs CAST a 32hp or so instacast Lure DD, including while they chase you. You will be spammed with that nuke while you kite the train.

After you cleared the aggro from the train with FD (just let them return to their spawn points, the quarters are close so it doesn't take more than just a few seconds), med up, get a new pet, rince-repeat.

This might sound a little tricky, but it comes with great rewards, which are, you kill a mob in like 6 seconds tops. You leverage the underconning of these mobs to rip your pet to pieces in just a few seconds.

When you get closer to level 40, you can keep the first two rooms clear.

I do not recommend bothering with the 3rd room. I don't remember now, haven't done this in years, but by the time you run out of mobs in the first 2 rooms, you are level 40 and should just find a new place to exp. Mobs in the 3rd room are... either annoying casters or something. I forgot. And they have that living SK which you can't charm but who will dispell your charm etc. Also I think they are KoS.

You can bind there at the entrance right after you get out of the water. Pretty safe.

Couple gotchas:
- do not attempt this without SoW pots or Jboots
- do not attempt this without a CoS
- they have pretty high MR. It's no big deal since you only need to keep your charm on the pet for like 5-6 seconds, but if it breaks before the pet is ready to be one-shotted with a lifetap, you'll need to FD and reset the fight completely. Do not try to recover the fight (you will die horribly).
- do not attempt it if you're a mouse clicker. You need to be using your keyboard pretty much exclusively
- do not grab a new pet if you're not full HP. In a normal situation at this camp, you will be quite often down to your last 20% HP or so because of 1) lag spike that will alow the train to catch you before you get that FD / harmshield off, 2) the Lure DD spam which is inevitable
- if you misjudged your pet's HP and your lifetap didn't finish him off, do not attempt to lifetap him again. Just FD and reset the fight.
- IIRC the mobs go from level 25 to level 29. A level 29 mob has substantially more HP than a level 25 mob. Factor this in when you decide when to break charm. With time you'll find out your pet's level very quickly after he starts getting hit.

Good luck and have fun at this cool camp :-)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Sarnak

No pre-nerf CoS, no jboots. It sounds like this is a strategy not for a new player or first character. I have a Druid, but it takes a lot of ports to make 30k to get those items.
Closed Thread