Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Sarnak

Default 49 Enc Animation

Since hitting 49, I've tried using an animation vice using a charmed pet. It may not be the most efficient XP wise, but with haste,slow,dot,stun... I can kill nearly as fast, way safer, and with much more mana afterwards. Any thoughts?
Discord: MaCtast1c#7275
Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Sarnak

Yeaaaa I dunno how I feel about this lol, but where you hunting?

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 11-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Sarnak

You can baby the animation to take mobs out, but it's no where nearly as good as a charmed pet. Also it's not having control, and having to completely dismiss it to get full xp is pretty meh. Enchanter xp really shines when you have a charmed pet and cleric to duo with who can just keep one pet alive while you just mow through stuff.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCtastic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since hitting 49, I've tried using an animation vice using a charmed pet. It may not be the most efficient XP wise, but with haste,slow,dot,stun... I can kill nearly as fast, way safer, and with much more mana afterwards. Any thoughts?
I think you're just not using charm the right way.

As was discussed very recently in another thread here, the animation can be useful. Low levels, when there's nothing to charm, if you just don't like charming, if you're farming lower-level stuff, if you're on a corpse run (and went to get tiny daggers from your bank!), and more. It can even be used to xp, yes. But I think you're understating the XP difference by saying "it may not be the most efficient XP wise," instead of "it's bad XP but I don't mind it" or something.

IME using the animation to kill stuff, yeah, you need to buff him up, and debuff the hell out of your enemy, AND your enemy has to be very low blue con or else it'll still force you to be casting enough runes or nukes to help your pet that you end up using more mana than you would just killing two higher cons with charm in the same time and for full XP.

People who say that charming for XP is dangerous are, imho, just not charming in the right places/ways. There are so many places with tons of open space you can charm for XP. And when you have open space, charm is not dangerous if you're decently on the ball. When I leveled my enchanters, I hardly even used roots until I was up near 50 and pulling 4+ things at a time, because as long as you're not somewhere like sola or lguk or some other cramped dungeon, you have so much room that you can sit safely at max casting range and have PLENTY of time to get off a spell to keep you from ever getting hit after a charm break. Stuff happens sometimes... adds, resists... but that can happen with an animation too. Maybe charming still does end up being a bit more dangerous, but the payoffs are enormous if you're not really, really dead set on safety.

IIRC I leveled Noman in kerra, najena, paw, nurga (droga? i can't remember), cc, com, perma, hs that I can remember off the top of my head? Every one of those dungeons has room to be charming for XP at max casting range usually or always, and you're only ever very rarely forced to fight in tight quarters (as in, you're getting smacked the instant a charm breaks). There's almost no reason to die charming that you don't run into trying to XP with an animation also.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-06-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Old 11-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Enc animation is a perfectly valid tool in the enchanter's toolbox. Just like any tool, it's best when used at the right moment.

Also is a matter of personal preference really.

I leveled 4 or 5 enchanters in P99 / R99 total, most of them charming, but usually duo with a healer. I just can't force myself into charm killing ALONE for exp. It's so slow, boring and burdensome... the whole "nuke for full exp thing", jeez...so annoying, No thanks.

Duo with someone you can actually chat and *adventure* with, is so much more fun, not to mention efficient.

But again, it's a matter of personal preference. There are people whose play style is: log on for only like 10 minutes at a time, kill a couple mobs then log off, because of RL commitment or w/e. I suppose solo charming for them is the best way to getting exp.

Also there certainly are people who play enchanters but don't like charming. It's just not their thing, they don't like the randomness of it, or maybe they have to watch a baby or their boss can walk in any second, etc. It's perfectly fine, in my book, for them to use an animation or whatever other tool they deem best suited for them.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Sarnak

I only use my Animation if I'm killing stuff lower level and just don't want to be bothered with a charm. Doing stuff like Chancellor in Illomen, X in Kaesora, AC in OOT..ect. that stuff is easy to pop a pet and slow the mob down.

I don't think I'd ever be able to use it as a viable leveling tool.

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 11-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I think it comes down to your pet eating up half the xp. instead of getting full xp for 2 kills you're getting .5xp of one kill.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

You can blur with mez at 2% then small nuke for full exp..
Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Orc

Izmael mic drop
Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can blur with mez at 2% then small nuke for full exp..
Did that really work for you?

Mez only blurs like 1/3 of the time, and your animation will finish off something from 2% if the mez fails before you can cast again and get a nuke off, for sure. So there goes 2/3 of your tactic's effectiveness. And then even when you do get a blur, it usually won't be timed such that you get a regen tick, which means the pet may still finish it off before you can spend a few seconds casting a small nuke. And even if the pet doesn't finish it off, it can still out-damage your small nuke. And if the mez does blur, the pet breaking the mez may get you smacked before you get the nuke off. And if the mez blurs and you get a regen tick up to 6-7%, then either you're not casting a "small" nuke anymore to finish it off and your low-mana killing isn't actually happening, or you're not going to get the full XP over your pet.

I see a lot more possible situations where this doesn't work out well than the ideal, perfect "you blur at 2% and manage to squeeze off just enough damage of a nuke to killsteal your pet before the mob dies."

Don't get me wrong. As I've said, the animation has some important niche uses, especially for people who just don't want to charm for whatever reason. But I feel like people who keep praising the animation for being sometimes useful for some people keep overstating how useful it really is.
Closed Thread