Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people do like Min/Maxing[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I don't knock you for playing purely for fashion reasons. Give me the same courtesy. I really don't understand why people hate players who enjoy maximizing their stats.

EDIT: Also, if you do plan on Min/Maxing stats by getting all BiS gear, Erudite is the best SK race due to having the highest INT. BiS Velious tank gear will not max INT on any race. But you do give up the Regen/FSI, which are also great.
Min Max? Erud then for that bonus MR.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Min Max? Erud then for that bonus MR.
Actually the Min/Max reason for Erudite is highest mana pool. With BiS Velious tank gear you will max all your tank stats and important resistances with buffs, but INT is the one thing you cannot max on any race with BiS Velious tank gear.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:EruditeSKMan - Made an example a while back showing one version of a BiS Erudite SK's stats. As you can see, the MR wouldn't really matter. Just swap one piece for a higher MR item, such as Living Thunder Earring instead of Earring of Living Flame, and you have max MR with Group Resist Magic. But even with all this gear INT is still at 233.

However, I do not recommend that kind of min/max for SK, because the other racial bonuses are generally more useful than max mana, and if you are planning on getting top tier raid gear, you will have Soul Defiler, which will fix your mana problems anyway.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Ya unfortunately I think the ogre for stun or troll iksar for regen are the best options.

It would be nice if erudite was the best race for something. Pre Kunark necro maybe.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Naw, Erud SK in Flayed Skin with the clicky attack sword from the bottom of the Hole and kithicor skelly shield is minmax.

Mobs faint just looking at the awesomeness.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:48 PM
Large Rat

Stats in this game have very little value and STR/STA are both inevitable to cap if you're going to be getting into Velious raiding at all.

People overthink this shit and come to wild conclusions when in reality the only significant difference between races come down to QOL concerns like faction, size, active abilities like hide, and downtime reduction as with regen.

Don't make a race in EQ that you don't like the look of because even the 'technically correct' min/max answers are largely irrelevant once you have end game gear and the downsides of picking a giant race that gets stuck on everything are understated.

Ogre frontal stun immunity is more a QOL thing than actually powerful, regen is the only substantial racial ability in the game that has a real impact on your play and even that falls off in importance once you're doing full group and raid content on anything but a Necromancer.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Banned

I always thought TSK’s looked awesome in plate

One of my fond early memories of EQ as a kid was playing my shitty human monk in blackburrow and seeing a TSK in full plate tanking a train of gnolls saving everyone’s ass. I thought that was the coolest looking thing back then

I’m just curious, how well can TSK solo if mildly geared? (Say maybe something like ebon mace + fbss + some cheap plate with stats) and if it requires fear kiting outdoor mobs later on that is ok

Versus how much better could a monk similarly twinked solo? Is it close or are monks much better (keep in mind this would be vs an SK fear kiting)

If anyone is still checkin this, no biggie
Old 12-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Warriors will envy your damage output.
Riiiiiight.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always thought TSK’s looked awesome in plate

One of my fond early memories of EQ as a kid was playing my shitty human monk in blackburrow and seeing a TSK in full plate tanking a train of gnolls saving everyone’s ass. I thought that was the coolest looking thing back then

I’m just curious, how well can TSK solo if mildly geared? (Say maybe something like ebon mace + fbss + some cheap plate with stats) and if it requires fear kiting outdoor mobs later on that is ok

Versus how much better could a monk similarly twinked solo? Is it close or are monks much better (keep in mind this would be vs an SK fear kiting)

If anyone is still checkin this, no biggie
Troll Shadowknights can solo pretty well with decent gear. I mostly soloed guards from 25-55 with basically an Ebon Mace + FBSS and decent plate in the rest of my slots. I did have a Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate in the 40s for some extra regen for faster kill speed, but if you kill guards from 25-55 you will get a good amount of plat. Also get an Embalmer's Skinning Knife. Great way to get some HP back after a fight, and is cheaper than Iksar Chestplate if you don't have a ton of cash. Having both is preferable, at least until you get your Clicky Heal Breastplate from Velious.

EDIT: The nice thing about Shadowknights vs. Monks when it comes to soloing with cheap twinking is Shadowknights have access to cheaper healing items (Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate + Embalmers Skinning Knife). Monks are restricted to Fungi Tunic or Velious Clicky Chest, which generally means Monks need more plat to twink. Not saying Monks can't solo without Fungi Tunic, but I generally feel this makes Shadowknights a good contender if you are deciding between the two. I haven't seen any side by side comparisons to see how a Monk's generally higher DPS and additional evasion counteract this when it comes to soloing with decent twink gear. Obviously if you have a ton of money to spend a Monk will solo better with Fungi + CoF and great monk weapons.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-09-2021 at 07:59 PM..
Old 12-09-2021, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Monks mend is really strong once it starts working reliably. Also doesn't their bind wound skill cap higher in both eras?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks mend is really strong once it starts working reliably. Also doesn't their bind wound skill cap higher in both eras?
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, Monks are great. The question is mostly which class solos better with cheap gear, and I would say Shadowknights do a bit better with cheap gear as opposed to monks. This is because Shadowknights have better solo utility with their spells, and they can get overall better gear than a Monk when working within a budget.

Once you get to level 50+ and you start getting better gear, Monks will tend to pull ahead. However, they still have less utility than a Shadowknight, and more restrictions on how much they can carry (which can be annoying for platinum generation).

My Shadowknight has out-parsed Monks with cheap gear before too hehe.