Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m amazed by all these people apparently with access to the trilogy, eqemu and p1999 source codes who are as such able to make definitive statements on how hidden classic mechanics worked and whether p1999 is moving closer or further from that.
If you had kept track of the discussion, you'd know everyone involved admitted "we aren't certain how it worked".

Despite that, mechanics get changed based on "feels" based posts, and extensive whining.

As long as people complain long enough in a positive tone and throw in some smileys, they'll succeed at getting things nerfed despite lack of evidence.

Hope this helps clear your confusion.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

What was the 'pre nerf' implementation based on?
Old 11-17-2021, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What was the 'pre nerf' implementation based on?
What is the majority of p1999 based on?

Do you think it is realistic to have to defend every aspect of p1999 against factless posts that suggest things change?
Old 11-17-2021, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is the majority of p1999 based on?
A best guess based on limited, flawed evidence and what feels right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you think it is realistic to have to defend every aspect of p1999 against factless posts that suggest things change?
Firsthand experience ("Feelz") is very flawed evidence, but as Lionel Hutz pathetically expresses "Conjecture and hearsay are kinds of evidence". If there is not enough hard evidence to swing an argument either way, but one side can make a more convincing 'feelz' argument and a dev is willing to try out that suggestion then I think that is fair. If the suggestion ends up feeling further from classic then make the 'factless' argument and revert.
Last edited by Jimjam; 11-17-2021 at 05:40 PM..
Old 11-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
A best guess based on limited, flawed evidence and what feels right.
So do you think things should be changed based on many posts by a few?

We can disagree on that. I don't see what point you are trying to make if not that.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
So do you think things should be changed based on many posts by a few?

We can disagree on that. I don't see what point you are trying to make if not that.
IDK, some people were posting earlier as if they had definitive knowledge of how the back end mechanics worked during trilogy.

I guess we'll see how the emergent game play is after the change has settled and see whether or not it feels more classic.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
IDK, some people were posting earlier as if they had definitive knowledge of how the back end mechanics worked during trilogy.

I guess we'll see how the emergent game play is after the change has settled and see whether or not it feels more classic.
There isn't going to be "emergent gameplay", there will just be nerfed enchanters.

Of course you know that.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

It would be a little sad if the meta remains exactly the same, just with worse luck on breaks. If that is the case, and it feels less classic, then I suppose a revert would be in order.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
It would be a little sad if the meta remains exactly the same, just with worse luck on breaks. If that is the case, and it feels less classic, then I suppose a revert would be in order.
Reverts don't happen, you also know that.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Reverts don't happen, you also know that.
You’ve been asking me what I think, so I’ve been replying with what I think should happen. Sorry I’m not in charge?

As reverts generally don’t happen I suppose the dev team only implements changes they feel are a step closer to classic and the arguments, even if they lacked what you might consider hard evidence, were persuasive enough to make the decision to change.
Closed Thread