Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 11-29-2021, 10:17 PM
Banned

I'm looking to dump it on ideally bedlam (will prolly have to save 20k for that now on green though), or ggr/zumaik's as runner up

I appreciate any feedback though
Last edited by unsunghero; 11-29-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Old 11-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Bedlam is a total game changer. Make sure you have it bought ahead of hitting 58 so you can scribe it the moment you ding.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:57 PM
Banned

gear isnt really important pre-lv 60 if you're planning on grouping a lot

for soloing, you will definitely need all of your spells

then focus on maybe getting some raw HP/mana items

as charisma can be buffed by your spells
Old 12-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind that the way charisma impacts charm may change soon. If it were me, I wouldn't want to drop 12k until I know it will still be useful in the future.
I haven't posted here in nearly a decade, but I couldn't help myself...

Why are you such a troll and why do you run around pretending to be helpful? Is it an attention seeking thing?

None of the mention changes have shown to be classic, in fact there has been more proof that it does work correctly, currently.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:29 PM
Kobold

You're still going to want to be able to max your CHA for pacifies no matter what happens with charm so CHA gear should still hold it's value I'd think.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve been doing some comparisons of xp/hour of charm soloing outdoors vs indoors vs animation pet

It seems like the ideal situation is charming a pet in a dungeon, sending it to aggro a clump of mobs, rooting all of them (torn between using root or paralyzing earth here, root you will have to re-apply), letting them kill the pet, charming a new pet from the clump, repeat

Nothing can beat that in terms of xp/hour, but that’s not a situation that occurs in every dungeon room. Sometimes, you only have 2 mobs to work with. So then you charm one, make them fight each other, and try to even out their health (a fun little mini-game) with various things like slows. The downside is I haven’t been able to make my pet lose lots of health vs a mob it out-levels. /pet sit doesn’t seem to do much. So if your charmed pet is at 75% and the other mob is about to die, I don’t see it as worth the mana/time to release charm (cajoling whispers is expensive to cast), just to kill the other mob for full xp, may as well let the pet kill. Also, assuming both mobs are at a similar health total at the end, finishing them required at least 2 anarchy’s, possibly 1 discordant mind (expensive), depending on health totals. So this method is definitely slower than the first in terms of xp/hour (because the pets die much slower)

Outdoor charming tends to play out like the second example, unless you run way out of your way to gather up a bunch of stuff like a bard would. But then in doing so you also slow down your exp/hour gathering mobs to root in a clump and make fight each other. So when I solo outdoors, I don’t go out of my way to do that

The level 49 animation pet DOES kill exp greens and low blues faster than a charmed mob of those levels. This is because I buff the animation with 60% haste and garou, while I don’t buff charmed mobs (no point unless they out-level everything else, they die too quickly to waste mana on haste solo and it’s risky in dungeons). The 49 animation pet hits quickly for 52/per with 60% haste, that is more dps than the non-hasted hits of 88-94ish from mobs (once again, talking about exp greens and low blues, NOT high blues). The animation pet is also more effective against casters than a charmed pet, because it is much more reliable at interrupting casts, I’ve noticed (for the times I don’t have the mana for or want to twist stuns). But the pet steals 50% exp. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that due to its higher dps, I can kill more things in a shorter amount of time (unless we are talking about the first scenario where it’s a clump of rooted mobs beating a single charmed pet)

So the TL[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]R is:

Unless you know you can engineer scenarios of a clump of rooted mobs beating on a charmed pet, then charming a new one from the clump and repeat, then the animation pet can roughly match the exp/hour of charming 1 mob and making it fight 1 other mob, breaking charm, and then killing both for full exp. This is because the pet kills singles faster, but for less exp per This only applies to if you are fighting exp greens and low blues, because for my own safety I prefer to go for these as charm targets for the basis of comparison. If you want to be risky, charming high blues would be better xp/hour then the animation pet

“Using the animation is just being a poor man’s mage” - true, but a mage doesn’t have chanter CC. Even with the animation pet I can go further and deeper into a dungeon than a mage of comparable level due to having cc

“Using the animation pet is boring” - won’t disagree at all. I still prefer charming for the vast majority of my solo’ing
You hit the nail on the head about the different charming scenarios and how fast they are. This is why howling stones is considered the best solo spot for enchanters. Basement, North, and West all have numerous 4 mob rooms or encounters that are perfect for sending a pet in then getting everything rooted. It may be a bit overkill but I like to back pet a ton and AoE mez everything before rooting. Since mez is cheap mana wise and a fixed duration you should have enough time to get them all rooted before mez wears off ensuring you get them situated how you want them. Then get them all tash. It is also nice because if you get a charm break before you get everything rooted it is much easier to handle since your mez will land before they get to you. You also get to theft of thought all the skeletons.

Also, your comment on using multiple nukes is why I recommended the goblin gazughi ring earlier. You should have 3 different nukes that you know exactly where they are in your spell book and use whichever one you need to secure a full exp kill. With Gazughi ring you should never have a problem breaking below 5% (much lower if charming against a single mob).
Last edited by Barlu; 12-04-2021 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Added something
Old 02-05-2022, 12:07 PM
Kobold

I know you don’t like the ring, but that ring is huge help. Let’s you time charm break when mobs are low enough for lower level filler nuke. Plus frees up spell slot.

Enchanter is already a pain with spell swapping, this reduces it by 1 for convenience as well. This is gotta be the most stressful class to play, so anything simplifying slightly helps a lot. And if you ever play another charm class you will already have a ring for them.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Don’t send your pet in on a bunch of mobs as you stated. Lull, calm, pacify.. whatever you prefer to use and get the mobs pulled one at a time. This just reduces the chance of dying given a break. I know you said you like to root but if charm breaks right when your engaging a group of mobs.. good luck with 900hp.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:49 AM
Fire Giant

i wonder how many of the folks here really play a 60 ench and solo/farm tough contents (SG, PoM, etc.)

HP is king for ench, period. If you think maxing cha means no break in charm or no critical resist in calm, then you are mistaken.

With 255 cha, at times I still get 4x charm breaks at PoM within a 60 sec timeframe. With 255 cha, I still get critical resist and aggro a train.

HP don't lie, staying alive is the most important. Dying = CR + waste time recovery + camp potentially get stolen.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t send your pet in on a bunch of mobs as you stated. Lull, calm, pacify.. whatever you prefer to use and get the mobs pulled one at a time. This just reduces the chance of dying given a break. I know you said you like to root but if charm breaks right when your engaging a group of mobs.. good luck with 900hp.
Killing 3-4 mobs at once isn't really challenging unless their very high level relative to the enchanter
The first pet dies very fast with 3 mobs on it, 2nd a bit slower and by the time your down to one mob you can just burn it down. It is much faster than killing 2,twice