Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Fire Giant

So, I've been on a mission to get P99 working on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air with Big Sur 11.3...

Age-old problem using Wineskin. P99 WILL load to character select using the ORIGINAL dsetup.dll from the titanium disc. However, as previously stated in multiple places, the game tells me that my spell files are out of date. To clarify, I have copied in all v54 files EXCEPT dsetup.dll (for experimental purposes).

As soon as I copy the v54 dsetup.dll over.. Nothing. I see the processes in Activity Monitor and everything, eqgame.exe just wont initialize/render. My error log within Wineskin stays blank. I have tried every single "fix" mentioned via Winetricks, using different/old engines or even Wine Stable. Using older wine engines is not an option on M1, but tried them anyway. My only "progress" has been made with WS11WineCX20.0.4.

I know it's not supported, but it would be AMAZING if P99 devs could figure out what is causing this hitch. Willing to help test until I'm blue in the face.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:45 PM
Aviak

Wine ends up hanging. I worked with Gcenx and come to the conclusion that it looks like it might be the way some custom code that was written and embedded into this custom dsetup.dll is loading itself into the eqgame.exe file or something around that. Wine has to translate memory addresses between the 32 bit and 64 bit code and it may not be doing that properly. This is just a guess. I think until the wine community finishes moving to PE mode and it gets ported to crossover, there might not be much to do. This is a lot of speculation though. See this for my research: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=371291
Old 11-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So far, so good on a M1 Pro MacBook Pro using Parallels on Windows 11 ARM. I get some "bad image" exception errors when loading in, but it still plays fine!
Parallels 17, windows 11 arm here as well. the pro is a 14inch, m1 max (10 core) 32g ram.

Able to get a p99 window up, able to log in and able to select a server. But then before character selection, I'm hit with a black screen and a new an error message saying that "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction... not sure what's going on.

Did you run into any snags? Or did everything just work nicely for you?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:30 PM
Fire Giant

I can play fine with Parallels 17 and Win11 ARM, but it takes an exorbitant amount of resources compared to running it independently. That offends my OCD. Maybe soon we will get a reliable WINE engine or sympathetic version of dsetup.dll...
Old 11-22-2021, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordNboard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can play fine with Parallels 17 and Win11 ARM...
Still unable to pull it off for some reason. Even just tried a fresh install of titanium + the v55 files.

Do you remember what your process was like?
Old 11-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still unable to pull it off for some reason. Even just tried a fresh install of titanium + the v55 files.

Do you remember what your process was like?
Installed Parallels, installed the Windows Insider Win11 ARM, copied my eq folder to the desktop and launched via the patchme shortcut. Make sure your eqgame.exe is set for Win XP SP2 compatibility and go in to advanced to check 'stable emulation.' Mine ran without those properties, but reduced certain crashes.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordNboard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make sure your eqgame.exe is set for Win XP SP2 compatibility and go in to advanced to check 'stable emulation.'
This "did the trick". Glad to be able to log in again, though I now understand your other note on resources. Yikes.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:19 PM
Kobold

Unable to get it to install. I have CD's.

- Downloaded the wrapper
- Browsed down to wineskin
- Selected "Install windows software"
- Selected to install "install.exe" on CD1 (titanium disks)
- It prompts to select executable which is /P22/eqgame.exe
- Nothing happens, install doesn't launch.

Link to installing from scratch is at 404.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Is wineskin or an alternative able to work with new mac books running macOS Monterey?
I am struggling to help my girlfriend get the game installed.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:01 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This "did the trick". Glad to be able to log in again, though I now understand your other note on resources. Yikes.
Thanks I couldn't figure out what the issue was either, but with parallels 17.1 change the following: compatibility -> [change emulation settings] -> safe emulation (from the dropdown).

That worked for me.

Speaking of resources, I've lowered my parallels instance from 4cpu's/8gb to 2cpu's/4gb and it still seems to be running fine (macbook m1 pro 16gb)

And do we need to use run titanium.bat or can we just use eqgame.exe instead? Seems to take quite a while to load with run titanium