Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Skeleton

Default Help with EQ install on Mac!

Hello. I have read many guides and posts here but I still seem to not quite have all the right ingredients together. I followed Phobus' post and he has graciously responded to quite a few of my PMs while trying to configure everything. I decided to make these questions public so that maybe I can get EQ working through a collective of knowledge.

I have installed EQ 2x following Phobus' guide. Both times have resulted with the same black windowed 1999 screen which eventually sports a pink rectangular box in the top of my screen with a crude-white EULA lettering but I am unable to do anything from there but quit the program.

Installation Comment:
Computer: Macbook Pro DuoCore w/ 2 gigs of ram and a GMA 950 video card. I was able to get it working great on the EQ Mac server.

I meticulously followed Phobus' guide. The first time I installed the game, before starting over I attempted to use "Druxa's All in one set up" to see if it might resolve anything I missed. It still didn't allow me to play but I did notice upon looking in the P99 folder that there was an EQEmu file that had previously not been there. There is not one there now as well. Though I have and EQEmu forum PW/acc and Login Server PW/acc I am still unsure what exactly to download or how to go about it.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I'm hoping someone can help me since I am in no way program or code techy when it comes to computers.

Thanks for your time and comments. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Fire Giant

Well this one is easier than most of the mac stuff.

Quote:
I can tell you that most of the issues I've run into with the game not starting properly stemmed from windowed mode not being set correctly in eqclient.ini. Open that file in a text editor and see that you have lines that look like this:

Code:
WindowedMode=TRUE

WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
If the height/width numbers are different, that's probably fine. Any resolution you want should work. I think all that matters is that both resolutions match, and that WindowedMode is set to true.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Fire Giant

This is from the FAQ, and while you don't have that error message, I am fairly certain it is the same issue.

Quote:
1. Help! When I try to run eq, at some point before entering the game, I get an error that looks something like this:
The instruction at 0x029110ce referenced memory at 0xfffffffc. The memory could not be read

This solution to this is actually very simple. Go to your EQ folder. Find the file eqclient.ini and open it in a text editor (i use notepad, its the simplest to use)

hit ctrl+f, type windowedwidth, you should see something like this:

WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=768
Width=1280
Height=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=768

change it to this:

WindowedWidth=800
WindowedHeight=600
Width=800
Height=600
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=800
HeightWindowed=600

I'm using 800 x 600 here, but you may need to fiddle with that a bit. If 800 x 600 isnt working, try using your monitors native resolution instead. Eventually, you will get a combination that works, just keep trying.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is from the FAQ, and while you don't have that error message, I am fairly certain it is the same issue.
I'm not having the error message. I actually get, what appears to be, a distorted EULA screen.

I pasted Phobus' code into text edit, made it plain text, and then named it eqclient.ini as the instructions said.

[Defaults]
WindowedModeXOffset=1
WindowedModeYOffset=1
WindowedMode=TRUE
[VideoMode]
Width=1024
Height=768
WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
FullscreenRefreshRate=0

I afterwards changed the monitor size to 1400x800 due to my resolution but it get the same black screen with the freaky looking EULA.

I will try 800x600 but I think it's just going to make the same screen smaller. My problem seems to be of a graphical nature. And I don't think I have the EQ Emulator properly or at all. That's the one part I am totally clueless about. I don't know what I'm suppose to download or install for the EQEmu to work.

Thx
Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Skeleton

Ok I just discovered something. Upon going back into my eqclient.ini I discovered this:
[Defaults]
WindowedModeXOffset=1
WindowedModeYOffset=1
WindowedMode=TRUE
Sound=TRUE
TextureQuality=1
VertexShaders=TRUE
20PixelShaders=TRUE
14PixelShaders=TRUE
1xPixelShaders=TRUE
MultiPassLighting=FALSE
UseLitBatches=TRUE
[VideoMode]
Width=1400
Height=800
WidthWindowed=1400
HeightWindowed=800
WindowedWidth=1400
WindowedHeight=800
FullscreenRefreshRate=0

These lines were originally in the eqclient.ini upon a fresh install but I overwrote them with the info from Phobus' post. However, it appears they have been rewritten. I know Phobus said that it'a a bare bones "ini' and that once you launch EQ it will write the remaining "ini" but I think this is cause a conflict maybe. Does this look correct?

Sound=TRUE
TextureQuality=1
VertexShaders=TRUE
20PixelShaders=TRUE
14PixelShaders=TRUE
1xPixelShaders=TRUE
MultiPassLighting=FALSE
UseLitBatches=TRUE
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Fire Giant

The EQemu launcher doesn't work with P99 anymore. So that is your issue.

You need your shortcut or whatever it's called on a Mac to go to the executable.

So as soon as my new Mac support guy gets unbusy, I know he will be able to help. In the mean time, if you can figure out how to make these instructions work on your mac you'll get in game.

Quote:
(For consistency, I'm going to assume you installed EQ to C:\Everquest so that the eqgame.exe path is C:\Everquest\eqgame.exe.)
2) Right-click on the eqgame.exe icon within your everquest folder, select Create Shortcut.
3) Right-click on the Shortcut to eqgame.exe you created in step (2). Select Properties.
4) In the Properties menu that appears, edit the target line to say "C:\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme. The quotes are only needed around the destination string if it contains spaces. Select Apply and then OK to close the properties box.
or this...but we couldn't get the bat file to work last night...so I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogean included an amazing new file in the latest version of the patch - launch titanium.bat

Does all the work you used to have to do with the eqgame.exe shortcut for you. Just make a shortcut to the .bat file on your desktop and you are good to go.

Eqemu launcher no longer supported. Can't guarantee it will work and staff won't be providing assistance with getting it to work.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Skeleton

ok, confirmed. This is being rewritten each time. Not sure if it's suppose to be there but I just erased and saved, and then tried restarting 1999 with the 1999App and it was there.

Sound=TRUE
TextureQuality=1
VertexShaders=TRUE
20PixelShaders=TRUE
14PixelShaders=TRUE
1xPixelShaders=TRUE
MultiPassLighting=FALSE
UseLitBatches=TRUE
Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Fire Giant

The windowed mode stuff is still there right? It's just adding the sound, etc?

It's actually a good sign.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The EQemu launcher doesn't work with P99 anymore. So that is your issue.

You need your shortcut or whatever it's called on a Mac to go to the executable.

So as soon as my new Mac support guy gets unbusy, I know he will be able to help. In the mean time, if you can figure out how to make these instructions work on your mac you'll get in game.

or this...but we couldn't get the bat file to work last night...so I dunno
Ok, I do remember seeing that file in the 1999 V30 folder but Phobus' guide left out what to do with that file. That was one of the questions I was going to ask but I've all ready sent him quite a few PMs I didn't want to keep imposing.

When I right click I don't get "create shortcut" that's a PC thing right? Since I have that .bat file I will try and follow up on getting it to work.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Fire Giant

When you send him the PM, tell him to update his guide p~