Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99ers are only here because they are afriad of change. Don't like the Nexus or Bazaar or the other features is like saying "Nah i don't want to install an elevator in my house, I'm fine with the old climbing rope..it's more immersive."
No wonder obesity is such a problem. People go for elevators when a perfectly good rope will suffice and provide exercise.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paludal Caverns though? Raid content? The birth of AAs? Everyone hated it?
Paludal emptied out every other zone in the same level range. It was terrible.

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 AM
Sarnak

No they didn't, but by that same logic, velious did the same thing to previous zones did it not (honest question)?
Old 04-29-2015, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Velious didn't damage the pre-existing game too badly. It didn't have any low-level zones at all, and only a limited number of mid-level zones. Most of its high-level experience dungeons were so far off the beaten path that pick-up groups seldom went to them, Velketor's being the obvious exception--and that one zone by itself couldn't empty out Karnor's and Sebilis. In addition, many of the nice Velious items were nodrop so high-end Kunark drops tended to retain value. Velious was very focused on the high-end, and at the time felt like a rather mediocre expansion for folks who didn't want to raid.

The main zone rendered empty by Velious was Veeshan's Peak, which historically saw barely any use anyway. It sees a lot more use here so will likely remain used on P1999.

Danth
Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

The only non fantasy elements of Luclin were Boglings and Netherian "aliens". (yes they could have been dropped).

Paludal ZEM was BAD.

Mounts were great.
Cats awesome.
Beastlords - cool.
New models - awesome for some races (elves, ogres, trolls), horrible for others (shorties).

Loot, grouping and raiding was hardly much different in principle than in Velious.
Though some zones could have used few more named/loot dropping mobs

Bazaar - yeah the last thing I want to do with my time is spend 4 hours trying to sell my junk in the tunnel and haggle over every 5 gold with every idiot instead of actually PLAYING. (ok to some haggling is PLAYING - to each his own). Life haggling was fun only for a while, but when I got dozens of items to list - it got tedious. Lots and lots of high lev people I knew HATED the tunnel - they posted their wares on forums and only logged in their EC mules to deliver the goods to specific buyer. Plus, even after Bazaar went live many still auctioned their wares to lowbies in Qeynos/Gfay/FP etc. No one really wanted to spend 30 min just to get there and another 30 just to get down unless they were shopping for a serious upgrade. It was only with PoK books that getting to Bazaar became a 1 click deal so every lev 3 could quickly check the wares and get back to where he was.

The rest was top notch and highly creative fantasy content.
Ok I admit I would have went with a Shadow World as the setting, instead of the moon, but no one asked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Planar Protector

I remember doing the lightcrawler armour quest in luclin. I hate lightcrawlers!

There was also a quest where I had to take someone for a walk down a huge hallway whilst being jumped by some fungaldinosaurmen.

I also remember having to do something with a lettuce.

Oh and there is a giant mushroom that is rooted to the spot.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99ers are only here because they are afriad of change. Don't like the Nexus or Bazaar or the other features is like saying "Nah i don't want to install an elevator in my house, I'm fine with the old climbing rope..it's more immersive."
Yes, since everyone who's played on Classic emu servers is fine keeping the little improvements like the updated Velious UI and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious was very focused on the high-end, and at the time felt like a rather mediocre expansion for folks who didn't want to raid.
I loved it as I got to the right level to play it's lower content and split my time between Velious and Kunark being a Druid. A bit part of my enjoyment of the game was exploration and finding new spots to lv and any new loot I could find on my own instead of looking up alllakzam of something. One of my biggest memories of EQ was getting my Dreadlands portal spell and exploring the Combine area expecting danger around every corner.

Quote:
Mounts were great.
Cats awesome.
Beastlords - cool.
New models - awesome for some races (elves, ogres, trolls), horrible for others (shorties).
Hated mounts because they required new models. There was a reason why demand for AoN spiked in Luclin when everyone wanted to use a mount while keeping the old models around without relogging.

All the models sucked because the Luclin graphics lacked charm and personality the old ones had in spades. For me the worst were the Ogre and Troll ones because they went from loveable dumb looking/ sour faced cartoons to trying to look badass while at the same time looking lifeless and bland.

you are kicking yourself in the ass
Last edited by Beastro; 04-29-2015 at 06:25 AM..
Old 04-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Planar Protector

There was a longstanding bug in Luclin/PoP where those using old models could use Mounts, however they only gained the meditating while standing bonus and not the run speed. Which was fantastic.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
See, the thing is most p99 players like to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they're "oldschool and hardcore". WoW and other modern MMOs are too easy, they say. There's no challenge, no sense of accomplishment.

P99 players are huge fucking casuals at heart. If something takes too long to kill, then it's boring and not efficient enough. They spend the hardest and longest part of the road to 60 in Chardok, paying for AE pulls instead.

So the thought of VT shard farming, Ssra bane weapons molds farming and actually spending more than 15 seconds per mob while clearing Vex Thal trash, is horrible.

They like it hard, but not too hard. Just hard enough to congratulate themselves for playing "old-school EQ"...

Mostly agree except EQ raiding is such easymode compared to other mmos - zergmode every mob ever.

Classes here are also easy as sh1t. Any melee class - auto attack and kick. Wowzer.

Anyone who disagrees just hasnt played other mmo endgame.

Want real hardmode raids? Go play EQ2 endgame and get back to me.
Last edited by Raidz; 04-29-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Planar Protector

I loved Paludal. From a sales standpoint they had to have a draw to get people to buy in on Luclin. Paludal's XP was certainly something people talked about.

Anyone remember Ringo the beetle? He was great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread