Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Aviak

Default Shaman race

I saw the thread about cleric race and thought that I might get some input before I make a shaman. I like a good race, but is it enough of an advantage to play barbarian over, say ogre? Is it worth being evil to have a no frontal stun thing?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Yes, I'd say it's worth being evil. Ogre is decent for no front stun, but at higher level I would say troll or iksar for shaman because of cannibalize. You convert hp to mana, and both of those races have innate hp regen. This will help diminish your downtime, especially as you get higher level.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, I'd say it's worth being evil. Ogre is decent for no front stun, but at higher level I would say troll or iksar for shaman because of cannibalize. You convert hp to mana, and both of those races have innate hp regen. This will help diminish your downtime, especially as you get higher level.
That's true until Torpor (if you get to high-end AND can afford Torpor).
Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 AM
Aviak

Lets say I probably wont ever get to 40 or so, but want to have fun along the way. Does the regen only matter when u get cannibalise?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Kobold

Despite some racial advantages with troll/ogres your life will be a hell of a lot easier as a Barbarian, being evil with all that disadvantage PLUS the xp penalty will make you a lot less likely to have fun on your very slow way getting to 40.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Aviak

I have an Iksar and a Troll both near 50s. If regen is a concern pick Troll. IMO not worth it to miss out on the JBB and other gear. Plus bash and snare neck are nice.

I personally don't care for the ogre models, and when mobs are slowed the frontal stun immunity isn't that big of a deal. Would help gate from trains though I guess.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Sarnak

Pick troll. Innoruuk worshipping troll is the best. If you can afford ~100k in twink gear and plvling, maybe go ogre instead, but probably still troll. Iksar has troll regen, but iksar looks dumb, gets virtually no visual benefit to otherwise cool looking gear, has much lower stats (= fewer hp, lower carry limit, etc.) and can't use any of the high end shaman armor sets during kunark.

Being a good race is a liability, not a benefit. It took me a while to see that. There are merchants that will sell to you, good or evil, and your bank is never further than a port away. But being evil opens up a whole bunch of consequence-free cash camps: OoT sisters, treants, hhk guards, etc. These are camps in your 20s and 30s, and they're the difference between beign decked out in your 40s or being virtually naked. What does being good get you? You can travel into a few more cities? What do you even want from those cities? Random guards in the karanas etc. won't try to kill you? You have root, gate, sow, and invis; you should never have a problem with kos guards.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

big thread in general about shaman race, fun read.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186770

really depends on your goals and financing
Old 03-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

If I were to roll shaman I'd definitely pick gnome.

Please search the forums.