Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New Player, Need Advice!

I randomly stumbled upon P1999 somehow. I used to play Everquest during Kunark and Scars and did not really enjoy Shadows so I ended up moving to WoW when it came out.
I really miss the sense of community that I had in everquest, never got that in any other online game I played.
Had an iksar monk and really loved my bubbles and playing a reptile. My life was made significantly easier since I could FD and use the bank in any town.

A few questions...
I started playing a druid just so I could level him up and make some money porting.
I really want to play an Iksar Shaman. It seems that I would be putting myself in hard mode. Will banking and vendoring really be that much of a struggle?

I can't remember how long the journey is to 60, is it even worth my time playing something else just to get some easy platinum or should I just invest that time into leveling my shaman?

Also! Any friendly tight knit guilds looking for a new player?
Would really appreciate any tips or help.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:03 AM
Large Bat

Hiya, Kunark veteran here.. How did You go about downloading P1999 ?

I cant seem to find the step by step
Old 09-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Fire Giant

There are a few levelling guilds out there. You can get by playing a shaman without a lot of funding. Some of the high end shaman things (epic, torpor, a few dots, etc.) can be expensive if you buy them. That is a long ways off and shouldn't deter you.

Playing a shaman can be rough at first, but it gets much easier starting at 24 and again at 34. Group up and make friends. People love shaman...

As for banking, that's not so bad.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

I have a leveling guild of returning players much like yourself. We have mains and alts between levels 10 and 50 (no max level characters) and generally try to group up to do dungeons and help each other out on quests and stuff. Feel free to look me up on one of my alts for an invite or more info. My guild was an EQ live guild and we also had a presence in WoW, EQ2, VG and ESO. We plan to move to Pantheon as a guild when it goes live (or possibly in alpha/beta). I think you will find we have some very friendly and helpful people in the guild that are fun to group with.

As for your questions..I wouldn't level a character solely for making plat unless you plan on playing that character. That being said..I did level a druid to 35 but more for the utility of being able to port guildies around and as GL it's convenient to be able to travel to invite people to guild or help move items/players between continents etc...

With a guild on the server dedicated to porting (Dial A Port) I don't think earning plat from porting is as reliable as you might think. When I set out to do it I frequently can't find anyone who needs a port. Other times when I'm not even looking to do it I get tells or see OOC messages from people needing ports and I make some plat. So it's possible but seems very inconsistent (not to mention boring).

For earning plat you can probably do just as well playing the game and focusing on getting money items as you level. Level in FoB and collect bone chips (sells for 10p/stack). Level in EC/WC and collect deathfist belts (sells for 3-5p/ea). Level in HPH and collect orc scalps (sells for 10p/ea). Level in HK and collect ears (sells for 25-30p/ea). Level in SolA (tons of FS/bronze/ore to vendor). Level in Crystal Caverns (Geonids drop gems that sell for 50-150p/ea).

As for the Iksar Shaman I won't lie. You are going to be inconvenienced. One of my officers in guild has a 51 Iksar Shaman and banking and stuff on other continents is a PITA. Not too bad if you are in a guild though. You can easily get help selling and traveling to minimize the pain but it's not a minor inconvenience. Iksar Monk and Necro don't have it nearly as bad thanks to FD and skeli illusion.

You can get some weight reduction bags to help with the struggle. There are also ways to get faction in other places and there are various merchants that you can sell to (LS/SFM druid rings for example).

My Iksar monk is amiable to NFP guards and apprehensive with NFP bards giving me almost free reign in the zone and though bankers are still KOS I can bank through the wall. It takes a bit of work but it's doable and sorta fun. Let me know if you want more details on that. Also, most of our original members on P99 started as Iksar so we are very familiar with and fully support the Iksar struggle. You will find aid and comfort in that struggle in the guild. My officer only rolls Iksar characters...sort of a weirdo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by EQBallzz; 09-30-2016 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: added stuffs
Old 10-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I too am getting ready to enter the fold once again. I played as an Iksar SK, and am wondering what the demand is for SK tanks or should I go as a Monk?
Old 10-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

If you haven't already, check out Dial a Port. With our tag attached to your Druid whatever you are making without it could possible double.

Look anyone of us up with /who all dial and ask about joining.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 10-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Banned

My husband arsenalpow tries to help out new players. Try PMing him on the forums. He will probably lend you a fungi if you ask nicely and offer to rotate it among a few others
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Decided to just level the shaman since the jack of all trades skill set is cool. Hit lvl 9 and the class feel is slowly coming in.
I must say leveling a non pet caster class at lower levels is very slow going.
Really enjoying the experience, I met some cool people and had some great groups in the FOB.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My husband arsenalpow tries to help out new players. Try PMing him on the forums. He will probably lend you a fungi if you ask nicely and offer to rotate it among a few others
I don't think I can PM people yet since my account is new? That would be really amazing! Mind if I PM you guys in game?
Closed Thread