Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Unhappy Rogue creation points (again, sorry)

I've decided on making a rogue alt to contrast the playstyle of my cleric, and last night I made one and put half of my points in str and half into sta (dark elf rogue). But now I'm having second thoughts about this, and feel I maybe should have gone ahead and put all my points into sta. Because str is so much easier to increase, and extra hp will ALWAYS be useful in pvp.

What exactly are the benefits of str, anyway? On live I had a very low opinion of putting points into str at creation, because the returns you got weren't all that great and again, sta is so much harder to raise via gear.

Ugh but dark elf rogues have a base str of of 60, which is very low.. I'm just so torn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

For Rogues, the benefit of STR is two-fold:

1) It raises your attack power, which as a result, raises your damage per hit, not above the cap, but the average goes closer thereto.

2) It raises your damage per backstab ever so slightly per point. Raise your STR enough, and you'll see a significant raise in BS damage.

Raising STR, Dark Elfs have an advantage over short races since they can use Hero Bracers, but the best race for rogues is normally Barbarian because they can use Tree Weave, too, and then use the MoD to turn into a Dark Elf.

For starting stats, always fall back on HBB's post.

STA or GTFO.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For Rogues, the benefit of STR is two-fold:

1) It raises your attack power, which as a result, raises your damage per hit, not above the cap, but the average goes closer thereto.

2) It raises your damage per backstab ever so slightly per point. Raise your STR enough, and you'll see a significant raise in BS damage.

Raising STR, Dark Elfs have an advantage over short races since they can use Hero Bracers, but the best race for rogues is normally Barbarian because they can use Tree Weave, too, and then use the MoD to turn into a Dark Elf.

For starting stats, always fall back on HBB's post.

STA or GTFO.
Yes at some point I'll be wanting that bracer, and I know about the mask :P

I want to be a dark elf, not look like one. Y'know hehe? And while hasbin makes a very good point about creation stats, I'm not sure my little rogue will ever be decked out in raid gear. My cleric is my main, and I dunno if my rogue will ever even hit max level. It's hard enough leveling 1 character!

And the game doesn't start at max level, it starts at level 1. Would these 15 points in str be helpful for me as I level? At level 30, would I be a more effective rogue if I survived maybe an extra nuke in pvp, or if my backstab and melee damage were increased slightly?

Just dunno..
Last edited by Softcore PK; 11-25-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Remember, Backstab doesn't even kick in until level 10, so the extra STR doesn't have any effect until then. Also, I basically tanked in Crushbone on my Rogue until level 16 on Blue99. STR might be a little more useful until tanks figure out how to play in the middle levels, 16-46, but then STA goes back on top because of AoEs. 30 levels where STR is better vs 30 levels where STA is better. Take your pick.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'm starting to lean toward sta, too. PvE doesn't really matter at all, it's easy to be an effective player no matter what. PvP is of course where things count, and in pvp the dps is usually not a constant steam of melee attacks and backstabs. It's mostly all in little bursts, and keeping that in mind the returns on str will be less than the extra hp sta gives.

hmm maybe it's time to remake my rogue :P
Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Fire Giant

I you make a rogue for pvp and its not a barb you did it wrong.

Also if you make your rogue for pvp perhaps you should try the PVP FORUMS.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

With the advent of kunark so soon on pvp (not that far away as it was for us on blue) the relative strength of maxing out your STR/STA is so much easier, so don't worry about it.

Map out your gear, stat accordingly, win.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I you make a rogue for pvp and its not a barb you did it wrong.

Also if you make your rogue for pvp perhaps you should try the PVP FORUMS.
I'm not a min maxer, and dark elves are plenty viable in pvp. My cleric is a gnome :P

Server chat is for everyone, and the pvp and pve people all post here. I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about how the points should work in pve, just that pvp is probably a little more important for this discussion because it matters a bit more to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Fire Giant

the winner of rogue BoTB was a gnome, statistically the worst rogue possible tied with dark elf.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Fire Giant

for that matter i think a human was the BoTB winner for SKs, so it proves that which race you are or what stats you have has very little to do with your overall effectiveness.
Closed Thread