Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathusurper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People don't realize you aren't paying for mana. You are paying for the time saved from you not having to run through zones and hoping you don't have to wait on a boat to arrive.
Your also paying for someone else's time. By paying them to port you are economically incentivizing them to immediately stop playing the game and do something for you. Without that economical stimuli it will be significantly harder to find ports. Many people love that its so easy to get a port on this server and its likely if you are cheap you are making hard on the rest of us to find people to port. If everyone that was 60 paid a 60pp minimum you would never have trouble finding a port ever...being cheap screws everyone over. That port you think your saving money on will actually cost you a lot of time to search for ports in the future.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadtj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your also paying for someone else's time. By paying them to port you are economically incentivizing them to immediately stop playing the game and do something for you. Without that economical stimuli it will be significantly harder to find ports. Many people love that its so easy to get a port on this server and its likely if you are cheap you are making hard on the rest of us to find people to port. If everyone that was 60 paid a 60pp minimum you would never have trouble finding a port ever...being cheap screws everyone over. That port you think your saving money on will actually cost you a lot of time to search for ports in the future.
I don't know what you mean by this. I am all for paying/tipping someone decent who saves me the hassle of running through zones/waiting on a boat. I main a 59 Rogue and running to an experience camp on foot blows dog dick for quarters. I will gladly reimburse the person who made my run time pretty much non-existant. Not for the mana that the porter used, but for the TIME that the port saved me.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4EQWASCOOL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People regularly pay 200 p on Red for a port - they /ooc "200p for a port PST."
Yea and afterwards, the druid gets attacked, killed and loses the 200 platinum they just made... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathusurper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know what you mean by this. I am all for paying/tipping someone decent who saves me the hassle of running through zones/waiting on a boat. I main a 59 Rogue and running to an experience camp on foot blows dog dick for quarters. I will gladly reimburse the person who made my run time pretty much non-existant. Not for the mana that the porter used, but for the TIME that the port saved me.

Its not a disagreement. I was just adding to the reason why people should tip that you gave. Which was very good.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:42 AM
Fire Giant

my highest level character (nagoya) is a druid level 53, when i can't port i say "i can't port atm sorry", when i do port i don't really expect "tips" i mean, we all know how it is, we're just chillin' behind a screen enjoying social EQ slowly waiting for our IRL death. it's just some mana man. i think some people will give me 10, 20, 50pp or whatever they can just cause they genuinely appreciate the help, and that's cool and all, but in all reality relax and enjoy the ride /o/

if u need a skin like nature, a chloro, a DS, a sow, a levitate, enduring breath or like, a endure poison or something, get it out of your chest it's cool too. that 1pp/level is bonkerz, sometimes it's quite hard for a level 30 to pay 30pp for a port when all they've been doin' is grinding xp for a week. give them a break. if u're porting them in the first place it's cause u have the time and mana to do it. 30pp is killing one ice giant in everfrost and selling the FS and gem it drops.

on my other characters (mostly level 15-35) i ask ports every now and then, and depending on the toon i'm playing, i'll give 10-20pp if i'm a twink, if i'm playing a naked toon cause i have a few that i just like to play natural style, i give what i can, and sometimes it's not a lot, and that's life. i've been the other side of the trade, i know the satisfaction of just helping someone out as a teleporter, just be nice, say thank you and be genuine and everybody's gonna have a good time and chill <3
Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Orc

Ah, my bad, meadtj.

Nagoya: My post was directed towards people who can afford to offer a decent tip. Doesn't really apply to newer players. I'm like you with my Druid, buffs at EC tunnel are free. And if I have the time, so are ports. If I don't have the time to port, I go /anonymous.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Orc

I tried to edit my post, but it wouldn't let me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that's only because I no longer use him to make coin from ports now that my Rogue is geared and can win Sebilis drops. (I only made the Druid to fund a Rogue main.)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Large Rat

Regardless of the amount - I've had people think I scored a free ride because I make use of /split to pay if we're the only two people in the group. Sometimes they don't notice this text or have it filtered somehow. Occasionally, I'll get a tell like "really?" and will point out the /split text - but if they're the passive type that just puts me on ignore - you can see where this would be a problem.

Where's the thread on Rez protocol? I get tells asking what my "going rate" is. I must have missed that memo...
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

For genuine low level, untwinked new players, any amount of plat is acceptable. And I will usually decline an offer of plat anyway. I think a lot of porters are the same in that regard.

For established 50+ players, there's really no excuse to be cheap. And it's amazing how many people running around in hundreds of thousands of plat worth of gear will tip you 10 or 15pp for a port. It's insulting. I would grade port tips roughly as follows:

100pp+ - Very generous
75pp - Generous
50pp - Good
40pp - Acceptable
30pp - Low
20pp - Cheap
15pp or less - Insulting

1pp per level is an easy rule of thumb, although if you're playing an obviously twinked to hell character don't abuse it by tipping 20-30pp. This goes for all you twink Monks, too. Don't give me that shit about a weight limit. Go buy some fucking gems you cheapskates. What Would Master Wu do? He'd pay his way with gems. And if he had no gems he'd forgo the port and just run, in order to build his stamina and character while concentrating on tranquility. But you don't see that these days. Instead you get a level 20 Iksar Monk with a Fungi, CoF and T-Staff tipping you 10pp for a port and saying "Lol sorry no cash on me". Don't be that guy.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM
Sarnak

1pp per level seems right to me, some people are just cheap and should be blacklisted by dap to discourage that behavior imo
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Closed Thread