Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Dont fret making a melee character, weapons, armor and haste are very cheap and easy to get here. Play whatever you enjoy the most. Join one of the many leveling guilds for chat and support. It's a game so have fun, good luck!
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Skeleton

Welcome to P99 have fun. see you around
Old 04-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaildez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't advise melee for your first character here because it will be rough going early on.
This is not good advice, melee here have access to over powered weapons for bottom of the barrel prices. Play any class you want, try them out. I would say most classes come more into form in the 20-30 range.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Melee is fine just stay away from warriors. Eventually you'll have to pay the piper.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not good advice, melee here have access to over powered weapons for bottom of the barrel prices. Play any class you want, try them out. I would say most classes come more into form in the 20-30 range.
Agreed.

I even recommend Rogue to beginners because:

1) You don't have a lot of responsibilities in a group

2) Simple to play (see #1)

3) in high demand for groups

4) Hide/Sneak helps you explore zones you haven't learned yet

5) You can be a Dwarf

6) Relatively easier Epic Quest

7) You can steal (it's a selling point)

8) You can....fuck. Rogues are boring, huh?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

druid ,wiz,ench ,mage or necro cheapest gear ,easy money
that all are casters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Orc

This server was my first experience with any sort of classic EQ. My first character was a Rogue; he is my main and also the only character I've reached 60 with. I never had any problems getting into a group because I was "under-geared". I did eventually make a Druid for porting services to help fund the Rogue and other alts. Rogue's are pretty simple to play as some have said, but almost always being the experience group in raids is why I enjoy it. And there are some high-end camps with valuable drops that require Rogues, namely Crypt/Emperor in Old Sebilis.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play enchanter. you learn to swim by being pushed into the deep end. if you last 16 lvls and get breeze (mana regen buff), welcome to the addiction
Why does this reply seem.... familiar... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EDIT: okay apparently I suck at posting pictures
Last edited by Rimitto; 04-30-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Aviak

Welcome to P99 and EQ!
I hope you're ready for an awesome game experience that's very different from what most people play these days. There are a lot of hard parts and quirks to EQ but it's a very rich and rewarding play experience. And I've played on and off for 20 years and there are still zones I don't really know.

As for race/class, that's something you'll probably go back and forth on for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if you tried out a few different characters. It's not a bad thing to do as there is a lot to learn about each class and genre of class (melee/hybrid/caster/priest).

In the end you just need to play whatever sounds like the most fun to you. I went with warrior here on P99 as my first and main character because that is what sounded most fun to me. And it has been fun! Sure there's been some tough levels but overall I'm very glad I rolled warrior.

Melees:
Warrior - Tank, mainly goes duel wield but at times 2 hand is better option. Mainly groups, but if gear permits you can solo (slowly) most levels.
Rogues - Huge DPS, backstab backstab backstab. Sneak/hide are very helpful skills in many situations, including raids. Thrive in groups and always wanted.
Monks - Huge DPS, can mend (self-heal), is good with both duel wield and 2 handers. Feign death is used in all sorts of circumstances. Good in groups and solo!

Hybrid:
Bard - jack of all trades class. Plays songs which you don't have to stay still for! What they lack in tanking/melee abilities they make up for in utility. Easiest class to solo to 60 fast but also very useful in groups.
Paladin - warrior/cleric combo. Decent tank but even better aggro capabilities than warrior. No duel wield (1hand/shield or 2hand). Strongest against undead. Weak heals. Great group tank and can also solo.
Shadowknight - warrior/necro combo. Decent tank but even better aggro capabilities than warrior. No duel wield (1hand/shield or 2hand). Lifetaps, DoTs, Feign death, weak pet. Great group tank and can also solo (better than paladin).
Ranger - warrior/druid combo. Not as reliable for tanking stats but has good aggro. Primarily duel wields (decent DPS but less than war/rog/mnk). Lots of utility spells from druid class, heals, snares, Spirit of the Wolf (run speed), etc.

Caster:
Necromancer - arguably the easiest/best solo class. Huge lifetaps and DoTs. Decently strong pets, can charm undead, and has feign death. Most necros solo through the levels but they do fine in group settings as well.
Magician - big DPS, strongest summoned pet, and decent nukes. Magicians can summon all sorts of items that can be shared with group. Also desirable for Call of the Hero spell, which is a high level spell that summons another player to your location. Good in both group and solo environments.
Enchanter - I'd say one of the most OP classes in P99. Mana regen buffs for mana users and haste for melee. Lull, mezz, charm, all the crowd control you'd ever want! Charmed pets are strongest in game. Very desirable for groups but also good soloability.
Wizard - Unfortunately one of the weaker casters in P99 but still has their own niche. Most wizards solo (not very desirable for groups). Wizards are nukers, so lots of kiting mobs. Able to teleport and translocate (huge plus to wizards).

Priests:
Cleric - Primary healers in EQ. Have strongest HP/AC buffs. Biggest heals, with complete heal at higher levels. Absolutely needed for most raid targets. Horrible solo but wanted in almost all groups.
Druid - One with nature. Heals, Spirit of the Wolf, snares, roots, DoTs, nukes, pretty versatile class. However, by higher levels they are outclassed in most categories when it comes to grouping and raids. Good for powerleveling and buffs (protection of the glade is a great buff). Most commonly used teleporting class above wizards (good to make money).
Shaman - Another very OP class in P99. TONS of buffs, haste, slows, pet, DoTs, heals, and torper (super strong lvl 60 heal). Great in groups but also strong soloing. Everyone loves having a shaman around.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Large Bat

Im 100% new to EQ too, especially in the "how tf do i control this" department x3
Closed Thread