Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Default List the MMOs youve played, with comments if you feel like it.

Some people are alt-aholics, im a MMO-aholic.

My fun now that im a bit older, isnt really to grind a toon to the top, because ive done that already and unless the game is especially good, i wont do it. My fun when i buy or try a new MMO, is the new ideas they add to the genre, the stones they are adding to the "building of MMOs" if you will.

For example, i tend to view MMOs in parts and pieces. Just like a mechanic who doesnt view a car as just one piece. I have 40 pages of my own Sci-fi MMO that will probably never see the light of day, but thats one of my hobbies, you dont do hobbies because you want to make a living out of it, although sometimes it happens. Ironically thats why i quit my job as QA in a game company, because the last thing i wanted to do when i got home is play games, and cant have that.

To not hit you guys with a huge wall of text, ill hold commenting on the MMOs ive played until later. Most of those ive played a month or 2 at most.
* beside a name means ive played it more than 2 months.

So... my list of MMOs: (trying to go in chronological order)

Everquest*
Star wars galaxies*
Anarchy online*
city of heroes*
Everquest II (one month and didnt sub. lol)
World of warcraft*
Planetside
Guild wars
Lord of the rings online
Age of Conan
Eve online*
EQemu*
Warhammer online
Shadowbane*
Darkfall*
WoWemu
Fallen earth
Runes of magic
SWGemu
Perpetuum
Mortal online
Entropia Universe
Darkwind: war on wheels

MMOs im looking forward to: Earthrise, Black prophecy, CCP's vampire MMO (CCP is the company that made eve online and with white wolf doing the backstory, i dont expect some cheesy ass Twilight storyline)
Last edited by Taxi; 09-02-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

EverQuest - from shortly after Velious to just before Ykesha
EverQuest II - beta to Kunark
Star Wars Galaxies - launch to just before JTLS
City of Heroes/Villains - Issue 4 to Issue 16

Never played WoW even once.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

EverQuest* (1999-2004)
World of Warcraft* (2004-2010)
Planetside* (2003-2005)
EVE
Anarchy Online
Star Wars Galaxies
BattleTech 3025

Gosh, countless other beta tests that I've long since forgotten, because all of them were rubbish.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Fire Giant

EverQuest (Live)

DAoC (Beta only) - Boring world, not excited by the graphics.

Anarchy Online (Beta, Live, Notum Wars) - Loved the graphics and music, but the game was a bit of a pointless level ladder.

Shadowbane (Beta only) - Looked cool, the idea was awesome, game was terribly unstable

Starwars Galaxies (Live) - Put a lot of time into a Commando, only to realize most of the classes or whatever they call them were terribly unbalanced and mine was worthless. Quit the game soon after.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Kobold

EQ (1999-2002)
DAoC (don't remember, but a few years)
WoW (2004-2008)

DAoC was an outstanding game for lots of reasons until about halfway through its second expansion. The RvR/PvP there was incredible, which I attribute mostly to (1) the presence of a third faction and (2) tangible abilities/rewards for actually participating in PvP (which was even possible at early levels, in meaningful ways). And extensive class variety, even between factions, didn't hurt either.

At higher levels, myself and a friend could head out to the frontier (an extremely large "common" area between the different faction lands where most of the upper level PvP took place) in a duo and because of a combination of skill, class symbiosis and a little bit of surprise take out 2-4x our number, straight up, in an ideal encounter. Of course, defending a keep against a siege was always fun too.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Kobold

Everquest- first MMO, after kunark - after LoY, returned after PoP but not for long

DAoC -only a few months, pretty much EQ with capes

Shadowbane- loved the concept, not very well exicuted but not a terrible game, waiting on the SBemu to get up and running

Anarchy online- love the game except the graphics, hopefuly they change it soon. i played before notum wars and returned after Shadowlands. fav part, randomly generated dungeons for teams/solo

Matrix online - good game, good concept, terrible servers, crashed every like 2-3 hours
City of heros - one of the few games i would pay to go back to, love the character creation. hippy man RIP

WoW -EZMMO, enjoy the crafting system

FF11 - another game i would pay to play again, loved the fact you did'nt have to make 5 different characters to try all the classes.

Cabal online - F2P game, pretty graphics/effects, awsome music, combo system changed up the normal MMO skill useage

Ultima online - friends played it back in the day, got me hooked on a free shard. totally different from any MMO i'v ever played.

(insert random F2P koren MMO) - decent game, too many bots

Linage 2 - pretty game, boring gameplay

D&D online - well put togeather, good adventure, long XP bars so your not going up 5 levels a day, wish monk was a class you could be without paying for it.

EQ2 - EQ lore with WoW gameplay slapped over it

Guild wars - diablo MMO, that's what it felt like to me. you had a strict story line you followed, liked the idea of overworld being just you and your team.

Fallen earth (beta) - laptop could barely run it so can't comment on graphic or stability. felt like a fallout MMO, and that's not really a bad thing honistly

in conclusion: i am an mmo whore
I'm trying to create something that will be optionally fun for the server, something for level 50's to do when your not busy shitting in your socks.
Greeting Starfighter, you have been recruited by the Starleague to defend the frontier against Zurr and the Codan armada.

Baas rutten, Monk

Realena peacecraft, monk of cazic thule server.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Kobold

Everquest
Anarchy online
Everquest II
World of warcraft
Guild wars
Lord of the rings online
Eve online
EQemu
Entropia Universe

plus some textbased MUD:s..
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Sarnak

M-59
UO
EQ
CoH/CoV (still play on and off)
WoW
Vanguard
EQ2 (Got to 32 in one month, never looked back after the free time was up)
Pirates of the Burning Sea (LOL)
D&D Online
Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Kobold

MUD2 (if this can be counted)
Graal
Legend of Mir
EQ
DAOC
SWG
WOW
EQ2
VG
Runescape
Eternum Online
Warhammer Online

'Tried' various others for short amounts of time
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Pre-graphical "MMO":

Tele-Arena (Prostar, Masterpiece MBBS, All That Jazz BBS, Nameless BBS)
Mutants! (Masterpiece MBBS, Nameless BBS)
CircleMUD
MajorMUD (Masterpiece MBBS)
DikuMUD
BaronyMARE (was a world designer)
[not listing turn based BBS games like LORD, BRE, SRE, etc]

Graphical "MMO":

The Shadow of Yserbius (Sierra Network/Prodigy)
The Realm Online (Sierra Network/Prodigy)
Ultima Online
EverQuest
Asheron's Call
Dark Age of Camelot
Asheron's Call 2
World of Warcraft
Planetside
Ragnarok Online
Anarchy Online
EVE
Neocron
Final Fantasy XI
Jumpgate
Lineage 2
Tabula Rasa
Vanguard
Age of Conan
Warhammer Online
Star Trek Online

And some other crap like Runescape that I logged into, played for maybe a half hour and never went back. Same goes for "Second Life", though theres a cyberpunk area somewhere in there with tentacle rape, alien embryos (birth-able!) and a bunch of other twisted stuff that I got a laugh out of. All listed MMO, with the exception of Ragnarok Online, Neocron, Tabula Rasa and Planetside I saw end game in. Favorites italicized.

Tele-Arena is the only game that actually sucked me in bad enough to cause work and academic issues. It was just a different calibre of game, with harsh penalties (you die, you lose all of your gear, and if you didn't have a soulstone, you started back at level 1. It wasn't until 5.5f, that you could "Resurrect" yourself for time credits on a BBS subscription) The rest have been to the point where I went weeks to months at a time without logging in and eventually canceling my subscription; except in the case of STO, which I bought myself and friends life time subscriptions to ... what a mistake that was.

Dark Age of Camelot would be a favorite, except for the fact I played a skald, then a shadowzerker (then they nerfed my spec of shadowblade), so I had to go back to the skald. Poopsocking Darkness Falls, and only RVRing to get Darkness Falls back, was really lame.
Last edited by Itchybottom; 09-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: edit: forgot Age of Conan
Closed Thread