Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 03-28-2022, 07:59 PM
Planar Protector

Real talk, no foreigners should be able to own property. You can lease, not own
Old 03-28-2022, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got notified today my mortgage is going up $300 a month due to the cost of all housing rising so much over the last 2 years
Refinance for a fixed 30 year. You should have done it last year when interests rates were like 2.5%.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corporations and Chinese shouldn’t be able to own physical property (land). Individual landlords are rarely wealthy and are not the problem with rent
Sure, it's largely faceless corporations or whatever structure, but it's not as easy to tell them they're making shitty, exploitative choices since they're not individuals and don't post on the elf forum
Old 03-28-2022, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can tell the person that wrote this has absolutely zero clue what he/she is talking about.

-Zoning most likely will not allow for the conversion of commercial into residential. It can take years to get a zoning variance, and failure to get approval is a high likelihood.

-Construction standards from Commerical to Residential are also different, it would require a huge upfront invesment to retrofit a commercial building to make apartments.

-Parking can be a big issue. Many jurisdictions require 1.5 parking spots per residential bedroom.

-Construction costs are enormous right now. Any investor will have to think long and hard about starting a construction project right now. Not to mention, it is very difficult to find subcontractors and materials.

-Its easy to kick a commercial tenant out, its damn near impossible to kick a residential tenant out. This has made many potential investors shy away from converting commercial into residential. Most commercial buildings worth of converting into residential apartments are in urbanized area, which tend to be democratically run and therefore have strict rent control/tenant protection laws.

Lastly, I actually think its a good idea to be able to do this kind of conversion, but unfortunately government regulation has made this impossible for all of the above reasons.

The real solution is to dissolve all government regulation, especially zoning laws, and let development happen organically.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can tell the person that wrote this has absolutely zero clue what he/she is talking about.

-Zoning most likely will not allow for the conversion of commercial into residential. It can take years to get a zoning variance, and failure to get approval is a high likelihood.

-Construction standards from Commerical to Residential are also different, it would require a huge upfront invesment to retrofit a commercial building to make apartments.

-Parking can be a big issue. Many jurisdictions require 1.5 parking spots per residential bedroom.

-Construction costs are enormous right now. Any investor will have to think long and hard about starting a construction project right now. Not to mention, it is very difficult to find subcontractors and materials.

-Its easy to kick a commercial tenant out, its damn near impossible to kick a residential tenant out. This has made many potential investors shy away from converting commercial into residential. Most commercial buildings worth of converting into residential apartments are in urbanized area, which tend to be democratically run and therefore have strict rent control/tenant protection laws.

Lastly, I actually think its a good idea to be able to do this kind of conversion, but unfortunately government regulation has made this impossible for all of the above reasons.

The real solution is to dissolve all government regulation, especially zoning laws, and let development happen organically.
Feel like you missed a few steps from "there should be fewer obstacles to converting commercial buildings into residential" straight into "let's let the milk bottlers put raw brains in the milk again"
Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Feel like you missed a few steps from "there should be fewer obstacles to converting commercial buildings into residential" straight into "let's let the milk bottlers put raw brains in the milk again"
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are getting at [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are getting at [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can change policy without deleting it. I think it's called reform.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Refinance for a fixed 30 year. You should have done it last year when interests rates were like 2.5%.
Its the escrow taxes not the actual mortgage, taxes are sky rocketing due to pricing hikes
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 03-28-2022, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some regulation BAD

Other regulation GOOD

We don't have to burn the forest down to save one batch of trees

I was referencing the history of absolute horrors that went into the food supplies of Americans before the FDA was created. They literally used to put raw brains in milk to get the frothiness back after pasteurization (or something like that). Among other nightmares. Formaldehyde too, but that's still in plenty of other foods we still eat

Some stuff should be regulated and some stuff is over regulated
Old 03-28-2022, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some regulation BAD

Other regulation GOOD

We don't have to burn the forest down to save one batch of trees

I was referencing the history of absolute horrors that went into the food supplies of Americans before the FDA was created. They literally used to put raw brains in milk to get the frothiness back after pasteurization (or something like that). Among other nightmares. Formaldehyde too, but that's still in plenty of other foods we still eat

Some stuff should be regulated and some stuff is over regulated
I guess I just think that we are really under this false idea that government protection offers us something that we wouldn’t have conjured up for ourselves on our own.

The libertarian side of me has a hard time believing the government is capable of doing anything good. The libertarian side of me seems to have the most common sense.