Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, paladin are really bad, corrupted by vanity, greed and lust, you should go sk they are honest...
#WOKE #PaladinQuestion #resist
Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those two have different roles even though paladins have "cleric spells". Pally will be tanking and cleric will be healing. I don't really think any classes are "bad", but many people on p99 put way too much stock in min-maxing.
This.... You will never be the best at Project99. So just stop that train of thought. Stop reading into all this crap. Pick your class, race, and go. You don't need people's opinions for this kinda stuff. This game exists to purely enjoy that feeling you had as a yung buck. Find out for your own self if you dislike your class. Not cause somebody else says you will.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bright side is since Paladins and SKs are looked upon as 'completely optional' for end game raiding you can get gear for literally almost nothing.

I have a 52 SK that is approaching full ToV dragon loot in every slot because it goes for so cheap and I have him just parked there for the summer. I need like 3 peices now and the glory of the female DE tank will be in full effect as I reemerge from Velious and start leveling again.
This is fake news; Detoxx has confirmed there are a steady stream of new raiders at the top end and guilds are not just production lines to create epic geared alts for neck beards.

What did you swap velk lab sword for?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Kobold

bigjeff is on point, play p99 because its fun and awesome, not to have the best toon and hit the raid scene HAHA its a joke anyway!!

Nixtar's post makes me want to start a paladin btw

have a great time, its a video game.....
Old 09-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Large Bat

I started on P99 at the beginning of this year, decided from the outset to play a Paladin. I'd never played a Tanking class before (Bard and Cleric on Live back in the hayday) and I have loved it.

I'm not a power gamer, I'm almost level 57 after 9 months and I have no trouble finding groups and people are generally amazed at how useful a class they rarely see can be.

I still wear a full set of Cultural Player crafted armor that cost me 4500pp I earned from Goblins in High Pass at level 30 and I'm doing just fine.

Tank and Split (love you Paci!) Crypt/Emperor camps with no chanter all the time!

LoH might not be something you can smash out like a Cleric's Complete Heal but nothing beats it for the "OMG THANK YOU, I thought I was a goner" moments.

Basically its all about groups (which should to be honest be why people are on P99 in the first place), there are other servers out there if you want to Solo all day or multi-box.

Outremer (56th Half-Elf Paladin)
<The Second Sons>
Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

The amount of utility a Paladin offers in a group is insane. By far my best melee leveling experience, and I've played every class. Lulls, root cc, LoH, snap aggro, stuns, and heals barely behind a druid/shaman. Not to mention my best FQ to date with steelsilk. At 59 the HoT is more efficient than any non-cleric heal out there until Torpor.

Also.. see this thread:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=108428
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Banned

Above 2 posts are spot on.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaguez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started on P99 at the beginning of this year, decided from the outset to play a Paladin. I'd never played a Tanking class before (Bard and Cleric on Live back in the hayday) and I have loved it.

I'm not a power gamer, I'm almost level 57 after 9 months and I have no trouble finding groups and people are generally amazed at how useful a class they rarely see can be.
Now if only I could convince people of this same idea with necros !
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 09-16-2018, 01:55 AM
Fire Giant

paladins are like luclin

good
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Fire Giant

If i were you i would play both and see which you like the most. Just be mindful that how a character is played in a group setting is much different than in a raid setting.

My 2cp on both classes.

Cleric: This is an essential class to the game. You will not have a hard time finding groups, especially 40+. You are a crucial part of every raid and will always be welcomed to any guild as long as you aren't a total smeagal of a person. None of your spells will own your bank account and you will find it easier than some to make it into those high value loot camps because you are needed most times. Also, your epic is super easy to do or buy.

The cons to a cleric (for some) is that they kind of do one thing, heal. You'll never tank or do DPS in a meaningful way. This singularity makes some people get burnt out, especially since at 39 you get the "complete heal" spell, and will likely be the spell you cast 75% of the time. It takes 10 seconds and cost 400 mana, the very best clerics in the game only get to 4500 mana range.

Paladin: This is a wonderful and dynamic class that is set up to be a tank, which they excel at because of their ability to heal and get instant agro with their spells. But even with that, they are sadly never a choice when it comes to raid tanking due to the amazing mitigation from warrior disciplines that are needed to kill raid targets. They also do not get to choose from the super beefy races like ogre/troll/iksar that have racial benefits that correspond to greater hitpoints or dmg mitigation.

In the end, pallys make amazing group tanks but like all tanks are very gear dependent and they have little use in the end game other than casting divine str on tanks or MTing a HoT raid.

The saving grace of the paladin class would be the release of luclinn and AAs that would allow them to be viable as a MT for a raid target, however, warriors really start to pull ahead too with AAs and itemization of luclinn.
Closed Thread