Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Fire Giant

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to be crass, but I think I only ever measured one body part when I was younger rofl. And it wasn't my arms.
well, i would also wager it never you goal to shrink it neither ^^ and i can only imagine how inspiring the rapid growth spurts must have been...
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well, i would also wager it never you goal to shrink it neither ^^ and i can only imagine how inspiring the rapid growth spurts must have been...
ROFL. You wager right. Ahh man that got me laughing! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Skeleton

In before 'watch out we have a badass over here'

I'm running my 5th marathon (3:04 PR) in November and typically run/train super early in the day. If you have a workout routine that comes before or after any gaming, I recommend you use the EQ downtime for active recovery. Recovery is just as important as the working out. When I have some downtime (tunnel questing, mob re spawn), I use it to foam roll, stretch, and as a reminder to hydrate.

Also, if you must snack, pay attention to what you're eating — not so much as counting calories (sometimes you just need to eat), but what kind of snacks fill you up vs give you immediate energy (protein v carbs, etc).

(context - I run 60-70 miles a week)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm running my 5th marathon (3:04 PR) in November and typically run/train super early in the day. If you have a workout routine that comes before or after any gaming, I recommend you use the EQ downtime for active recovery. Recovery is just as important as the working out. When I have some downtime (tunnel questing, mob re spawn), I use it to foam roll, stretch, and as a reminder to hydrate.

Also, if you must snack, pay attention to what you're eating — not so much as counting calories (sometimes you just need to eat), but what kind of snacks fill you up vs give you immediate energy (protein v carbs, etc).

I have a friend, he's 52 years old now. He runs half marathons, marathons, and even ultramarathons; the 100 mile cross country style races which he just started in the past 20 years.

His knees are destroyed. He had nerves removed from one of his feet due to having immense nerve pain suffered while running. He also had part of one of his lungs removed (had nothing to do with running.) No matter what though, within a month after any surgery or injury sustained he always goes back to running.

Not saying it is for you, but for some there is an actual addiction to exercise and my friend has this. He simply refuses to not run, and it's his number one priority in life, over all else. He refuses to change exercises, he won't bike, swim, etc. He will only run.

If you'd meet him, he looks exceptionally athletic, no body fat and quite muscular as he also does some weight training... But he walks with a slight limp, and when he runs the limp is magnefied.

Anyway, your story of running reminded me of him. He also keeps track of how many miles he runs per week, and he even keeps track of how many miles he runs on his shoes.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This isn't that ridiculous at all. When I used to camp fungi king for days on end, I would try and do 50 pushups in between every other spawn (whether it be PH or King). When all was said and done, I was averaging between 350-400 pushups a day. By the end, I was able to do over 100 consecutively (which I actually won a headset from a pushup contest at PAX east for it!) Again, I only did the pushups when camping King. I'd be impressed with myself if I could still do 75 consecutively.

Funny how people shit on EQ for destroying people's physiques. When I was in grad school, p99 kept me in a routine of eating the right foods at the right times and working out in between classes whereas I'd otherwise be out drinking or eating poorly.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Funny how people shit on EQ for destroying people's physiques. When I was in grad school, p99 kept me in a routine of eating the right foods at the right times and working out in between classes whereas I'd otherwise be out drinking or eating poorly.
Please also note that my highest level character is 53 with a handful of alts. But that's not just due to year-round marathon training, also has to do with gf, school (i'm 35), work, and puppy.

Just depends on priority — rather not give any of it up and just be happy with level 53 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

yes, if you really incorporate pushups and even body weight squats and stuff during EQ time it's awesome.

EQ is fucking incredible for saving money and avoiding the idiocy of millenial binge drinking/drug abuse.

Just last weekend I hung out with people at the beach and then went on a date and got sucked into the booze, only to be hungover to shit all day Monday. At this point I'm happy just working hard and having a little fun thru EQ an hr a night instead of destroying my body with morans
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a friend, he's 52 years old now. He runs half marathons, marathons, and even ultramarathons; the 100 mile cross country style races which he just started in the past 20 years.

His knees are destroyed. He had nerves removed from one of his feet due to having immense nerve pain suffered while running. He also had part of one of his lungs removed (had nothing to do with running.) No matter what though, within a month after any surgery or injury sustained he always goes back to running.

Not saying it is for you, but for some there is an actual addiction to exercise and my friend has this. He simply refuses to not run, and it's his number one priority in life, over all else. He refuses to change exercises, he won't bike, swim, etc. He will only run.

If you'd meet him, he looks exceptionally athletic, no body fat and quite muscular as he also does some weight training... But he walks with a slight limp, and when he runs the limp is magnefied.

Anyway, your story of running reminded me of him. He also keeps track of how many miles he runs per week, and he even keeps track of how many miles he runs on his shoes.
Yeah physiology has a lot to do with how well your body reacts to the constant pounding, but much of it (the damage) can be mitigated with proper gear and gait analysis. If you want to prolong a running (or even fitness) regimen, you have to listen to your body and solicit feedback regularly from a coach or even a doc (like a chiro).

Addiction to running can come from the feeling of accomplishment and/or the biochemical reaction to exercise. I wrote a paper a few months back about how endorphins are commonly attributed to the 'runner's high' and the propensity to continue, but there are some neurological effects such as increased norepinephrine and serotonin that boost the general feeling of 'well being' and 'happiness'.

While running everybody's cup-o-tea, I strongly encourage people to find whatever exercise they like to do and to just stick with it. The positives—confidence, endurance, reduced risk of illness—clearly outweigh the negatives.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes, if you really incorporate pushups and even body weight squats and stuff during EQ time it's awesome.

EQ is fucking incredible for saving money and avoiding the idiocy of millenial binge drinking/drug abuse.

Just last weekend I hung out with people at the beach and then went on a date and got sucked into the booze, only to be hungover to shit all day Monday. At this point I'm happy just working hard and having a little fun thru EQ an hr a night instead of destroying my body with morans
Oh, I also make sure I drink a couple of nights a week, but use it as a reward. If I have a couple too many, I own up to it and suffer through the dehydration the next day. I do, however, pick and choose which days I can 'let my hair down' and make sure that its not the night before an important workout.

I certainly don't binge or black out or anything, but I can definitely put back 4-5 beers the night before an easy day. I don't advocate quitting things you enjoy (I'm a social drinker), but it's likely a good plan if you want to create a habit of working out on a daily basis until you learn how to hold yourself accountable the next morning and still work out after a couple pints.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

You live longer doing things you enjoy, even if they are slightly detrimental to your health (i.e. 4-5 beers twice a week).
Closed Thread