Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Default A New Set of Norrath Maps

Ranger is by far my favorite class to play, but they can spend a lot of time LFG because people can be a little uninformed about their capabilities as pullers, tanks, and dps (and because they are outclassed by other classes). So while I was LFG, I engaged in a bit of cartography.

As nostalgic as I am for the old cloth maps, I personally never felt as though they adequately represented the game world spatially or thematically, with a classic example being Faydwer in general. Using Inkarnate, I've tried to make more detailed maps that roughly preserve the layout and orientation of zones while portraying the continent as a whole and avoiding some of the blockiness inherent in EQ zones.

Anyway, Ranger Skyris of Faydark's Champions presents:

Antonica

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Faydwer

Odus

Kunark

(Kunark, by far my favorite continent, was made a while back in an older version of the mapping software.) I'm not sure whether Velious is really worth mapping and I think that's one where I like the cloth map's representation.

Please let me know if there's something that's incorrect or you think I should change!
Last edited by Lune; 07-11-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-11-2020, 11:01 PM
Sarnak

I really enjoy seeing the world represented like this. Gives another sense of space vs. running through in-game.

Just curious what Ghalp in Warsliks Woods is? I remember Veksar launch in LOIO but do not remember anything being added to WW?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:06 PM
Sarnak

These look amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

Fixed version of Antonica map with Neriak text visible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisamori [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really enjoy seeing the world represented like this. Gives another sense of space vs. running through in-game.

Just curious what Ghalp in Warsliks Woods is? I remember Veksar launch in LOIO but do not remember anything being added to WW?
That's Chalp, which is what the forest giant fort in WW is called. This is learned during the iksar SK khukri quest line.
Last edited by Lune; 07-11-2020 at 11:23 PM..
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Fire Giant

Those look great! If one were to print them, is there a particular type of paper or print method you'd recommend using to keep them looking so good?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those look great! If one were to print them, is there a particular type of paper or print method you'd recommend using to keep them looking so good?
Hah, you've got me, I know nothing about printing-- but I made Antonica and Kunark at a somewhat lower resolution because I think with this specific software it looks a little better (or in the case of Kunark, because that was all that was supported at the time), which means if you try to blow them up it'll be kinda grainy. I'll ask my artsy wife when she wakes up and she might know.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Aviak

These are awesome! Great job and thanks for sharing. I really like the Kunark one, although you forgot to label Nurga. I had no idea about the name of the giant fort in WW. If you are stuck LFG some more, you could try to add in some of those Iksar statues =)
Old 07-12-2020, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

Awesome stuff, very well done! Great detail and very accurate, thanks for sharing indeed. They gonna be popular here and I wouldnt mind seeing em used on the wiki fex
Old 07-12-2020, 12:54 AM
Sarnak

i like it and based off your map they really should have put in a zoneline between misty thicket and everfrost
Old 07-12-2020, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

I would buy a set of your maps if you ever figured out a good way to get them on cloth like the original, pm me if you ever follow through