Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Sarnak

If you plan on doing a lot of dungeon diving, I think wizard brings a lot of value. Wizards can really save the day in a bad dungeon pull, being able to either burn things down in a pinch, or whisk the group away to safety. This provides you with a little extra security to go explore and take on some dungeons most people avoid like Dalnir, Kaesora, etc.

General ports aren't as big of a bonus because of the obscene amount of druids on the server. But it's convenient, and will save you a not-insignificant amount of money in the long run, particularly if you have to hop around a few times to find a good open camp.

You're still better off with an enchanter or a bard, to be fair. But there's a lot of enchanters on the server, so you shouldn't have any trouble plugging that hole by picking up an extra member each session, literally and figuratively.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Kobold

Thanks for the tips guys. A couple bits of new info:

1. Another person is joining us and she is an enchanter
2. The person debating rogue vs. Pally has decided on rogue
3. I don’t 100% need to be one of those 4 classes I listed. I’m open to other suggestions.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the tips guys. A couple bits of new info:

3. I don’t 100% need to be one of those 4 classes I listed. I’m open to other suggestions.
Druid. Before people laugh at me:
- Regen buff is great for downtime, good spot heals
- Ench takes care of slows already
- A static without a porting class loses a lot of maneuverability
- Wolf form for faction woes
- Can charm animals (actually relevant up to end game)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Sarnak

You might want to consider a necro as a dark horse candidate, too. They're criminally underappreciated as a group class, but are a real asset if played right. Free pet DPS (not great, not terrible) unless charmed (super great), ghetto CC and heals, twitch for the cleric or enchanter, FD for wipes (and rez, so you can get the cleric up and ready to rez the rest). They've got an answer for almost everything, but because they can solo so well, nobody really thinks about them for groups.

And they're really fun to play, in my opinion anyways. Just my two cents.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Banned

So you've got enchanter, cleric, ranger, and a rogue?

You can now play whatever you want. It doesn't matter anymore.

Necro would be a great addition to this comp though if you've never played one before. When your static group inevitably falls apart you can also keep going solo or duo/trio with the enchanter and/or cleric.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I agree with this statement. Cleric/ench will bring a lot of stability to the group and will be able to more or less sustain heals vs mana, especially with slows. If your enchanter is real competent, charmed pets add mega DPS.

So, play what sounds fun to you. Wanna tank, go warrior. Wanna just smack things with more lazy DPS, go monk or another rogue. Wanna try out a caster, go mage, necro, or druid. Wanna keep your fingers busy? Go bard. You pick!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This.

That said I would maybe go warrior. It was on your original list and of all tanks warriors are by far the highest dps. At low levels you can even have the ranger tank, since he will be able to snap agro a bit better, and just DPS, and then later when stuff starts hitting really hard you have the best meat shield in the game.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might want to consider a necro as a dark horse candidate, too. They're criminally underappreciated as a group class, but are a real asset if played right. Free pet DPS (not great, not terrible) unless charmed (super great), ghetto CC and heals, twitch for the cleric or enchanter, FD for wipes (and rez, so you can get the cleric up and ready to rez the rest). They've got an answer for almost everything, but because they can solo so well, nobody really thinks about them for groups.

And they're really fun to play, in my opinion anyways. Just my two cents.
This.

Also if the static group falls apart you can easily solo or group to 60. Also a good farming class. Also a good class to roll if you don’t have a lot of pp for twinking.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halfcell as in half a brain cell? Most of that advice is dead wrong or mostly misinformed
Halfcell is totally right; there are very few effective group combinations without at least one Enchanter, Bard, or Shaman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serjordanmormont
So this leaves you with CLR/ENC/RNG/ROG, which is a fantastic combination to the point that you can play just about anything. The most obvious need is a tank, and I'd go for a Knight: you have clarity to cast plenty of spells, and a Warrior will have a hard time tanking over a Ranger (no Jolt until 51), Rogue (hide is quite unreliable leveling up), or Enchanter (tash+slow is a lot of threat on short fights with <45 NPCs). SK can split tough camps with Feign Death, while a Paladin gives you more CC and durability. Verdict: if you trust your Enchanter, I'd go Paladin. Fighting 3-4 at once sounds like a lot of fun. If not, then Shadow Knight.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Fire Giant

monk or necro ..necro brings a ton of group utility as stated previously, monk brings things dead faster, pulls, and tankability when the ranger eventually dies..
Closed Thread