Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 06:08 AM
Skeleton

Default Question for P99 Devs, regarding Titanium Client

This is not directly related to P99, but myself, and another EQEmu user, have been trying to figure this out for 3 or more days, and today learned, that the issue I'm dealing with, is in regard to the Titanium Client while trying to run a private (Windows) server.

Original Post via EQEmu

I hope you guys don't mind me bringing this issue here, but this problem appears to be unique, in some way, and you guys are top dogs, using the same client.

The short version (so, you don't have to go to the post):
  1. Installed a Windows Server, via EQEmu Github
  2. I am using a Titanium disc install for my client
  3. Fresh server install (i.e. no changes to the DB, whatsoever); Fresh install of Titanium.
  4. Can log on fine; Try to make a new toon; World.exe spits this out "No start_zones entry in database, using defaults"
  5. For example, Frogloks ALWAYS spit out in South Qeynos. Other races land in odd default locations in their starting cities.

I'm wondering if any of you devs, around here, have seen this issue, or know of any possible fixes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[*]Can log on fine; Try to make a new toon; World.exe spits this out "No start_zones entry in database, using defaults"
I know nothing about the EQ Emulator software, bu the error seems to be telling you everything you need to know right there. Apparently the EQEmulator program has database records in a table called "start_zones", and they specify which zone various races start in. You need to add those records, and because you haven't yet your server is spitting people out in "odd" default locations.

And if a random person who doesn't even know the software, on what really is the wrong message bard to even be asking, is helping you ... then I think it's probably time to step back and realize that you need to spend some time reading the EQ Emulator documentation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-23-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Developer

Never seen anything like that. EQEmu has changed a lot though. You don’t set it up the same way anymore. Config is now in json I think. Nothing like what we use here.

Its probably been several years since I tried to set up an eqemu server. Because I keep multiple versions of perl installed to support diff servers, it would not install easily.

If you have a clean pc to run on, it should be super easy to set up. Just point and click.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because I keep multiple versions of perl installed to support diff servers, it would not install easily.
Even one version of Perl is one too many [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Seriously though, what do you need multiple versions for? Do different EQ Emu versions depend on them? I didn't even know EQ Emu needed Perl.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:12 PM
Developer

P99 uses perl 10. When i started on takp, we used perl 12, which has since been removed. Lua is now scripting choice. Takp i build on VS 2017. But p99 never moved past 2010, so I need set up to build both. Its a fun combo.

My dev laptop is set up to code on either project. Keeping it working for all has been a challenge.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Project Manager

As Haynar said, a lot has changed for eqemu. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of us could help you better than the folks maintaining the current version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even one version of Perl is one too many [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by nilbog; 06-23-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 uses perl 10. When i started on takp, we used perl 12, which has since been removed. Lua is now scripting choice. Takp i build on VS 2017. But p99 never moved past 2010, so I need set up to build both. Its a fun combo.

My dev laptop is set up to code on either project. Keeping it working for all has been a challenge.
Ugh. Hopefully Perl has a decent version/environment manager like pyenv.

And yeah Lua seems to be the new "hot" choice for adding scripting to apps; I'm more partial to JS or Python for scripting, but to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loramin
Even one version of Perl is one too many
Heh, I'm not one to start holy wars over languages, and Perl was like the second real programming language I learned (after Visual Basic), so I'll always appreciate it for what it is.

But ... c'mon: would you really rather maintain a mess of Perl scripts, or scripts written in a more ... sophisticated language (Python, JS, or heck even Ruby, which actually stole a lot from Perl)?

I mean, if so, great. It's just that Perl isn't exactly known for being maintainable, so most coders I know would pick a different language if they had a choice.

Last edited by loramin; 06-23-2019 at 01:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Old 06-23-2019, 02:42 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think anyone is disputing that Perl is garbage. It would just be a massive undertaking at this point to convert all of the scripts to another language, and at that point what are we really gaining.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 06-23-2019, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think anyone is disputing that Perl is garbage.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would just be a massive undertaking at this point to convert all of the scripts to another language, and at that point what are we really gaining.
Oh totally ... although honestly if I ever win the lotto and have too much free time it sounds like a fun project ... but then again I'm a bit of masochist when it comes to updating legacy code [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. Nilbog AND Rogean (and Haynar!) posting in the same thread? I haven't seen that in ... I can't even remember the last thread like that!

And who would have thought: all it took was a little Perl-bashing (well, and an EQEmu question) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by loramin; 06-23-2019 at 04:04 PM..