Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Orc

Default Monkeying around - Iksar vs Human

I’ve been working on two monks, one level 20 Iksar and one level 22 human and I’m about ready to roll with one over the other.. For those who have played a monk to higher levels can you tell me if Iksar is really THAT much better of an option?

I can tell the Iksar regen is nicer and the AC boost helps but I’m having a hard time getting past the faction issue and exp penalty.

If the faction/exp penalty annoys me too much am I going to be way worse off in later levels if I roll with the human over Iksar?

If Iksar is the be all end all, any tips for getting around safely are appreciated.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Planar Protector

The regen isn't that different until level 51. By then mobs hit for huge damage anyway that dwarfs natural regen.

As such, the regen is a non factor when in situations where you aren't really using regen to heal (maybe a cleric chealing or being generous with HoTs).

If you will still be soloing 51+ then a good chunk of your self heal will be through bandages and mend, but regen here will be a bit more relevant than the first situation.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

If you don't want to play Iksar then don't. They are the superior choice for combat, but not gamebreakingly so. This is especially true if you don't plan to solo for exp in your 50's. Don't knock the 20% less exp that humans require to hit 60 either.

As an Iksar, there are many times I wish I was a human for the faction. But then again, I've had a good bit of fun working on my faction as an Iksar. Just be aware there are some factions you can never fix, and lots of factions that only a crazy person would even bother trying to fix.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As an Iksar, there are many times I wish I was a human for the faction. But then again, I've had a good bit of fun working on my faction as an Iksar. Just be aware there are some factions you can never fix, and lots of factions that only a crazy person would even bother trying to fix.
At least you get the Secret Handshake that is indifferent con from behind. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Kobold

Iksar is hands-down the better choice, in my opinion. The regen is bonkers past 50. Being able to just FD and heal faster than a sitting human just feels good. I also don't see faction as an issue. You have two of the most amazing skills in the game to make faction a non-issue: FD and Sneak. It's easy to repair the factions you'll want, anyway.

The exp penalty is a real bummer. I'll give you that one. And "iksar monk in a fungi with addy & SoS and black panther skin" is the least unique thing on the server.

So, in the end: Iksar.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

Regen is a non-issue. Iksar is for the AC bonus.

In pure classic, humans would be better at the start due to better H2H.

Iksar = more defensive but takes 20% longer to level.

Humans = slightly better fist dmg
Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydoc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And "iksar monk in a fungi with addy & SoS and black panther skin" is the least unique thing on the server.
Lol. Described my monk, except I'm poor and don't have a fungi.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Banned

Just go Iksar.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Human monks go harder
Old 08-20-2019, 01:41 PM
Orc

After getting my Iksar to 44 i'd personally go Human. I've seen so many other ikky monks that look nearly identical to me and it's kinda lame but I value fashion-questing quite a bit.
Closed Thread