Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirelothar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Phinny just launched fyi
Yeah but it's not really classic with the updated mechanics. #Green99
Old 12-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirelothar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Phinny just launched fyi
Are you serious?

1. Phinigel is lightyears away from Classic. Only to name a few key differences: Completely different UI (e.g. zone maps!). Quicker experience gain, no hell levels, no class and race penalties. Instanced raiding. People can get a 40-slot satchel.

2. New expansions will unlock every 3 months. I mean come on, most classic players are 30 to 50 years old. If you want to enjoy each expansion in 3 months, you'll have to play 24/7. Which most of us cannot.

That's why my only hope is a new P1999 server.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

For better or worse, the very slow pace of P1999 is conducive to building armies of characters. If you've been here for 3-4 years, it's pretty straightforward to have 2-3 or more L60 toons, which then need gear, etc etc. The cool part about this is playing multiple classes and experiencing things in a different way (enchanter and monk are almost playing different games). The bad part is the rise of tunnelquest and everything being for sale etc.

Ultimately I think most of the people are wishing for this mystical version of classic everquest where they can 'do over' live only better. It's not going to happen. Zanderr is right that a new server will just have a new crew of neckbeards. The game will rapidly become overcrowded again, and the poopsocking will resume.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not to be rude, but what exactly is the benefit of having another redo server aside from a chance to be on a level playing field for a short amount of time?

At some point, the new server will look exactly the same as the current blue server due to the same people playing more hardcore than casual players.
I would strongly suggest that no one be permitted to play on both servers at the same time - that way people who want the challenge of levelling up / server firsts etc. could play on that server and it would free up the top level congestion on P99 Blue for those of us not willing to relevel.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the plan is solid, the only thing that bothers are the inevitable name conflicts that will happen on a large scale when green merges into blue....so many green characters getting X appended to their name. People will have spent a couple years playing their characters and will have to reserve names on blue (which has a limited selection of cool names at this point) in anticipation of the merger if they don't want them modified!...
I'm pretty sure the server could be scripted to do a multi-database check on taken/available names at character creation. First it would do a check of both databases and then write to the appropriate server db if the query returned 'available'. Then on an eventual merger there would be no conflicts.

Although, my opinion is that there should be no merger and the db of any new server should just be wiped at some pre-determined point, with players knowing full well a db wipe will happen at some point, knowing before they even start there. I always really disliked mergers on live, especially to regular servers from those instant max-level servers.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Fire Giant

New servers are fun, a chance to race to the top, or at the least, play in poor gear (possible now, but more fun when mandatory).
Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For better or worse, the very slow pace of P1999 is conducive to building armies of characters. If you've been here for 3-4 years, it's pretty straightforward to have 2-3 or more L60 toons, which then need gear, etc etc. The cool part about this is playing multiple classes and experiencing things in a different way (enchanter and monk are almost playing different games). The bad part is the rise of tunnelquest and everything being for sale etc.

Ultimately I think most of the people are wishing for this mystical version of classic everquest where they can 'do over' live only better. It's not going to happen. Zanderr is right that a new server will just have a new crew of neckbeards. The game will rapidly become overcrowded again, and the poopsocking will resume.
Except you wouldn't have 5 years of Kunark allowing every member of "certain guilds" to have a lvl 60 rogue warrior monk cleric and wizard they can park at every raid target.

And I'm sure thats the "cool part" when your guild is monopolizing 90% of the raid content so you can gear you 9 level 60 alts with BIS Velious gear, but for the other 80% if the server its fucking nonsense; and totally "nonclassical."

On Live most guilds were raiding Velious with the majority of their members in the level 57 to 59 range. VVVEEEERRRRYYY few people had two level 60s ( let along 8 of 9 of them)
Last edited by ManuelThePopStar; 01-01-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 AM
Planar Protector

A new server would only result in the same poison endgame filled with neckbeards and at least 40% of the server population quitting the game.

Restarting a game that is 16 year old with already significant time invested is not what many would want to do.

And for those neckbeards, with more people gone u hv less people to show off your gear to and I bet many who claim they don't want Luclin or POP will still play on this server instead of quitting if Rogean and Nilborg decides to release it.
Last edited by Decad; 01-01-2016 at 02:50 AM..
Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 AM
Kobold

If the server worked like the Diablo II ladder system, with the server wiping itself every so often, with old characters being moved to blue, the neckbeards wouldn't have nearly the same impact and the classic experience would be a bit more genuine.

Edit - though I think I heard in a stream that a server like that wasn't in the cards, unfortunately.
Addiction (Officer) EQ Mayong - 2009-2010
Wudan (Member) EQ Rallos Zek - 2003-2004
Elven Crusaders (Officer) EQ Rallos Zek - 2000-2003
Last edited by Nitsude; 01-01-2016 at 03:20 AM..
Old 01-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Restarting a game that is 16 year old with already significant time invested is not what many would want to do.
"is not what many would want to do" - that's your claim. I think many would want to. Just watch the number of replies in this thread and read the posts for the reasons given.
Closed Thread