Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Takes quite a bit of arrogance to think you know more about climate change than NASA, the Pentagon and the energy companies themselves

You trust NASA and the big energy companies? .... yikes
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, lets ignore global warming. Reducing global warming is just a bonus to the real benefits of ‘green projects’.

Dinojuice is rare, expensive to extract, and often requires military force to secure a dinosaurgraveyard.

Wind blow, sun burn and river flow. It’s easy to see why energy companies are interested in these options and becoming less reliant on old trees and dinosaur juice. The real reason for pursuit of ‘green’ is nothing to do with the environment.

It’s just diversifying suppliers of generated energy and reducing logistical problems (no more Iran taking control of ships that navigated the wrong route, Saudi price fixing, Russians turning off taps, etc as well as simply being able to generate energy closer to the point of delivery).

‘Green’ is just marketing. e.g. Interfering with waterways has devastating ecological consequences (whether blocking navigations with hydro, or using water as cooling for furnaces or nuclear).

So yea, ignoring environmental issues both ways, “green” has some advantages in terms of source, supply, competition, logistics and distribution but the best solution might be a mixed approach.
There's always going to be advances to supplying and generating energy. Some of that is going to cross over into green for sure. It should be explored organically. The problem is beating people over the head with global warming. But you're saying let's ignore that for a hypothetical.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

My 4th grade science book (a mid 70's edition, as might be expected) explained in no uncertain terms how the world would be completely out of oil by the year 2000. I remember that one because my science teacher made a point of laughing at it and used it as an example of how a person shouldn't necessarily believe everything he reads. Later, by the time I was in middle school we were being fed propaganda "science" videos which vividly illustrated how we'd all be breathing out of air tanks and how natural plants and trees would be a mere distant memory by the time we were old enough to have our own children/grandchildren. Ridiculous--just scare tactics.

The environmental movement can be its own worst enemy. Its constant tendency to do "boy who cried wolf" impersonations and constantly hype worst-case doomsday scenarios--while continually moving the goalposts when said scenarios fail to happen--virtually ensures that by the time it's actually right about something nobody will be listening anymore. On top of that, some very real and serious problems, like the amount of plastic winding up in the oceans, doesn't get much notice because plastic in suspension doesn't have the same visual shock appeal of projecting a Mad Max post-oil wasteland. I agree with the notion of taking care of our home so it pains me to watch that movement constantly shoot itself in the foot with its inability to treat things rationally.

As a species, best thing we can do is invest in research and figure out a way to get off this rock. We can have all the environmental preservation we want but as long as we're stuck here we're just a single good asteroid impact away from extinction.

Danth
Old 01-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

Remember peak oil. Hahahahaha EXPERTS
Old 01-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Banned

I thought I read they figured out free energy and there is some huge multi country project going on to harness it now. Wish I could remember the name of it.. I think it was some kind of reworked tesla invention or something.

That aside I think the world should stop blaming countries doing their best already to be green and taxing them out the asses and instead blame places like China where a very large amount of the world's pollution is coming from... you can't even breathe the air from the pollutants and they dgaf.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We were being fed propaganda "science" videos which vividly illustrated how we'd all be breathing out of air tanks and how natural plants and trees would be a mere distant memory by the time we were old enough to have our own children
You're almost certainly being fed propaganda, Danth. However, I'm not so sure that it's of the "science" variety.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

FYI: That movie is called Blade Runner.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Exxon memos are internal memos from the 70s and 80s from scientists hired by the company itself. It was not public information. In fact, in response to the memos, Exxon began a disinformation campaign, spending millions of dollars to undermine in the public sphere the findings of the very research it funded, because they understood it was a threat to their business model.

So you're right, but not in the way you intended: I do not trust the big energy companies, because they've been actively lying to us for years--lies which have been very effective considering so many people, such as you, have believed them, even when the company itself did not. I do, however, trust the internal memos of their own scientists that were never meant to be seen by the public.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're almost certainly being fed propaganda, Danth. However, I'm not so sure that it's of the "science" variety.
It comes from all sides. That's why teaching children critical thinking is so important. Don't believe everything you read--and be especially wary of the stuff you WANT to believe because it's so much easier to be ensnared by that side of it. I'm not one of those "believe in nothing" nihilists, but any facts worth calling facts will withstand some scrutiny.

Danth
Closed Thread