Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 07:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Tallon Zek. Teams PVP was really fun but suffered from a couple flaws.

Even though it was teams based, the server stratified basically into light races vs dark races. What inevitably happened is that the light races, due to having druids and bards (mainly bards due to stacking mana regen and haste), were able to progress PVE faster than the dark races.

All the other issues aside, like OOR healers and such, what really broke the server is when the guild Pandemonium decided they were going to totally ignore the teams pvp concept and just go full PVE, all races under the same guild tag. Due to skill and numbers, they came to dominate the server, bolstered by their progression advantage (gear), OOR heals and the like.

What followed is the realization by the other guilds that in order to compete, they too, would have to abandon the "teams" ruleset.

All that said, I would love to have a teams pvp server, and would likely roll there. I have very very fond memories of EQ pvp on Tallon Zek (however unbalanced it can be). However, major issues do need to be addressed based on the above experiencs. A classic "teams" server will not work, some of the classic elements will need to be addressed around oor healing, and other pvp balance issues, covered in many past posts (and likely already addressed on Red, from the little I know). A guild vs guild concept would likely work best.
I played on TZ also and this was a pretty good summary. Although I would add that the reason it quickly turned into light vs dark teams was because the dark races were overwhelmingly dominate early on. Not just in numbers but skill. Just like in WoW where all the pvpers roll horde, the best pvpers rolled evil races.

So you could hard code no cross teaming, but all that would happen is one team would just dominate the others.

I will say that having a teams server was the most roleplay like gameplay I've ever had in an mmo.

I would never play on another PvP EQ server though unless some serious balancing to PvP was done, or maybe they just got rid of corpse runs entirely when killed by a pvp opponent.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

What we have is a loot and scoot policy so people are allowed to get their dead bodies unhindered. If they choose to violate the loot and scoot policy (do not scoot) then I think they're open to permanent corpse camping forever. Not sure what actual rules are but that seems fair.

You will like the new project 1999 pvp server for sure.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What we have is a loot and scoot policy so people are allowed to get their dead bodies unhindered. If they choose to violate the loot and scoot policy (do not scoot) then I think they're open to permanent corpse camping forever. Not sure what actual rules are but that seems fair.

You will like the new project 1999 pvp server for sure.
It's not that, it's just I like to play melee and having to travel across continents to get my corpse on a pvp server without PoK... no thanks. I don't have that kind of time and patience anymore.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think item loot helps with what you describe One Tin.

I agree about Vanilla it's the best all around, I haven't even ventured to hope on a server that doesn't go to velious.
You're right, item loot would help. But it would really only help with the issues I'm thinking of if ALL items are lootable. No no-drop stuff. Ok, maybe epics could remain no-drop but even that seems wrong to me. If you use a item in PvP it should be lootable. If you don't want to risk losing it then leave it in the bank.

The thing is, I think most people would scream bloody murder at this idea so the alternative is what I suggested before.

On a different topic; Walfreydo said he thinks a guild versus guild server would work best. I disagree. Isn't that essentially what the existing red server is? Anyway, I would prefer hardcoded teams.

By the way, I played on Tallon Zek way back when also. I was a dwarf in <The Giants Army>. Then I went to a blue server for a long time because some real life friends refused to play on a PvP server. Then I went back for a while untill it went to crap. Then later I played on Sullon Zek.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will say that having a teams server was the most roleplay like gameplay I've ever had in an mmo.
Hammer, meet nail. This is why the Teams PvP server should be called Purple. We already have Blue (PvE) and Red (PvP). If you hand in your book your name turns red. If you type /roleplay your name turns purple. Back in the day there was a message board at EQRP.com where we discussed our ideal ruleset on live to encourage roleplay. The general consensus was that roleplay isn't possible without PvP, but the PvP has to have context. There has to be a reason for the conflict.

Tallon and Vallon Zek provided that context. There was a war among the races. The combination of having an in-character reason to fight and having relatively safe starting areas (compared to Rallos Zek) made these two servers the best RPG experience I've ever had. I ran a roleplaying PvP guild on Vallon. We sought out PvP every time we logged in but we always stayed in character. Longtime P99 lead GM Sirken participated in one of our server wide events and he always raved about how unique an experience Vallon Zek was.

Secrets, a long time contributor to EQEmu, was recently interviewed by Everquest developer ALovingRobot for his YouTube channel. He mentioned how he stopped trying to develop PvP servers and one of the biggest complaints he got from players was how hard it was to make it out of the starting areas. The teams concept I've developed over years addresses this in a way that I think is better than Tallon/Vallon, Sullon or Rallos. I'm not ready to reveal the secret sauce just yet. Still need some help getting set up first.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:58 PM
Kobold

Getting ganked at your home city does indeed happen on Red. My newbie monk didn't even zone out of North Qeynos before I left the server. I spent more time rooted then not. Getting corpse camped and re-rooted at level 2 or 3 had me leaving for the safe shores of the Care bear servers.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:44 AM
Skeleton

When Green is recycled in a couple years, I think it'd be ideal to implement a new Purple server then, instead of a Green 2.0.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

With all due respect, I'm kind of confused. What does the smithing story have to do with a PvP server? lol
Old 10-24-2021, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

1) Immy healers ruined PvP
2) Will there be true classic Red Wood Wands? Asking for a friend.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting ganked at your home city does indeed happen on Red. My newbie monk didn't even zone out of North Qeynos before I left the server. I spent more time rooted then not. Getting corpse camped and re-rooted at level 2 or 3 had me leaving for the safe shores of the Care bear servers.
This was similar to the experience I had on Rallos Zek in 1999. I wasn't in beta and didn't learn about the game till after launch so this is what it was like. Being on Vallon Zek on launch day was amazing and I'm sure it was better months later because if someone was camping noobs you usually had teammates around. I have a solution for this that doesn't introduce any non-classic elements that I'm hoping to test in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With all due respect, I'm kind of confused. What does the smithing story have to do with a PvP server? lol
Everything I've done on Blue and Green has been prep for the teams PvP server the P99 devs announced their intention to launch a few years back. I take Rogean at his word that that's his intention and I trust if his intentions changed he would let us know. Thus I was just hoping to reconnect with a few of the players I've helped get started on p99 to test a few ideas.
Closed Thread