Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 02:47 AM
Aviak

Default Potential changes to the way CHA works for enchanters

I looked around the forums a bit to see if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything. I may have just missed it, and if so my bad.

Anyway, on the TAKP forums there's a thread about the way CHA affects charm. Essentially, CHA is only checked when the spell initially lands on the mob, and then does not in any way affect charm duration.

Haynar commented on that thread and mentioned the he's been asked to apply this mechanic to P99, and that it would be "a big change for them".

https://www.takproject.net/forums/in...62/#post-99583

I was just wondering what everyone thinks the overall effect of this change would be. Would this make charm more reliable, or less?

Would the change be significant enough to make maxing CHA no longer the priority?
Old 09-08-2021, 03:05 AM
Planar Protector

I have no idea but I do think the CHA stat is one of the best parts of p99 and still think necros should get longer fears from - cha and charms etc.

On live cha is useless and if it becomes that way on p99 that would be sad but not the end of the world.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

If this change means nerfing charm, then hard pass.

It would spoil a big part of P99 that charming is and always has been. Charm has produced some of the most interesting achievements on P99. Without charm, solo artist challenge would probably not even have been a thing.

I haven't even played an enchanter in the last 4 years but if charm gets gimped, I'll probably just try to forget about P99 alltogether.

I would be interested in knowing who exactly "asked" Haynar to remove CHA from the charm equation. It's obviously a fundamental change that will affect P99 deeply, not necessarily in a good way.
Last edited by Izmael; 09-08-2021 at 07:10 AM..
Old 09-08-2021, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without charm, solo artist challenge would probably not even have been a thing.
It would just be torpor shamans
Old 09-08-2021, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if charm gets gimped, I'll probably just try to forget about P99 alltogether
^

I know devs wouldn’t care but I’d be in the same boat. No interest atm in playing other classes
Old 09-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Wow, zero respect for classic in this thread: people bitching about how they won't play this class/game if they can't play with unclassic power [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I say nerf the hell out of charisma, Enchanters, and/or charming: as long as it's classic I'm 100% for it!

(And for the record, I don't remember charm being anything like it is here on live.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And for the record, I don't remember charm being anything like it is here on live.
While I can't speak for enchanters I know bard charm or maybe aggro mechanics ain't classic here. No evidence, just memory of leveling my bard via swarm kiting (charm beat down with 6-8 mobs) and it doesn't work here like it did on live back in Kunark/velious.

I still play my bard regardless, but still annoying I can't level like I used too.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, zero respect for classic in this thread: people bitching about how they won't play this class/game if they can't play with unclassic power [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I say nerf the hell out of charisma, Enchanters, and/or charming: as long as it's classic I'm 100% for it!

(And for the record, I don't remember charm being anything like it is here on live.)
Before you pick a side, got any evidence that this is classic?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
people bitching about how they won't play this class/game if they can't play with unclassic power [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You missed the part where I said that I don't actually play an enchanter.

A charm nerf won't affect me in any way, however I will still cross P99 out of my life if this happens, because it will take out a fundamental component out of P99, and dramatically lower the skill ceiling.

It takes a lot of skill to use charm to work your way around a challenging zone. It takes zero skill to tank-dps-heal around. There are a million other games that provide that low-skill experience already.

Don't gimp P99!
Old 09-08-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

To be fair making it more risky to charm would raise the skill ceiling no?

Is there any proof that it's not classic on p99? "How I remember it" ain't proof, as I've been told numerous times about bard swarming.