Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 AM
Fire Giant

Default A tale of Green's opening and a request

I'm looking for people to help me test out some PvP mechanics. Please send me a friend add at AenorVZ#0037 on Discord if you'd be interested in helping out. I had a thread for free banded on Day 1 on Green. Here's the story of how it took me until Day 3.

Prior to the launch of Green there was a lot of theory questing on the forums about what the best opening leveling strategy was. I was also recruited by the leader of Kingdom who told me he liked my concept of trying to level up a master smith to make banded at cost on Day 1 of a brand new server.

But there were a lot of haters. Some accused me of running a scheme to try to get others to pay for my blacksmithing skill ups so I could corner the market and get rich in game (lol). In retrospect, the haters were idiots. I knew I could make hundreds of plat within 24 hours of Green launch, and I did. I had the cash to master blacksmithing on Day 1 but didn't do it until Day 3 because my focus shifted.

On the Green Achievements page, Coalena was the first level 10 on the server a full five hours ahead of Leknaat, the second level 10 server wide announcement. Coalena was not a main. This was a mage that was specifically created to assist me with farming plat for Day 1 banded. But a funny thing happened. I tested my opening strategies on Green beta and almost all of the quests I planned to use got nerfed. Some quests that were live in beta were nerfed and useless as people logged into Green on launch day.

https://www.project1999.com/achievements.php

The devs appeared to be tracking what Coalena and I (Kaneh) were doing and in some cases live nerfing my strats. Galach came by and waved. But they didn't nerf everything. The plat and the levels started rolling in and we realized we were way out ahead of the rest of the server. I shifted into a support role of Coalena and paused my own leveling to make a trip to Erudin to pick up spells. Using the plat for spells delayed getting started on blacksmithing.

For launch, the devs doubled the spawn rate so that mobs wouldn't be too hard to come by with the entire server population crammed into a few zones. Another unannounced nerf severely inhibited my plans for getting the mages to level 16. Within minutes of Coalena's server-wide level 10 announcement, people started complaining in OOC that the spawn rate of mobs had been nerfed. Apparently the devs created a script so that as soon as the first player dinged level 10, the accelerated spawn rate would be removed and normal spawn rates would return.

We easily got to 12 and got our new pets but this changed our plans. Our easy path to 16 was taken away and we had to start making new plans on the fly. We decided to try Slaythe in Misty Thicket, a level 20 mob you can infinitely spawn if you charm the quest NPC. I didn't get a chance to test Slaythe in beta so I don't know if the exp was specifically nerfed for Green launch or if it was always that bad.

Unfortunately we stuck with it for too long and soon other players in standard leveling zones were flying past us. Meanwhile I was dealing with multiple distractions. The process of skilling up the master smith was under way and I was running around tagging Kingdom members as a temporary officer.

The smith reached master on Day 3 and I started doing combines. Nobody other than Coalena and Seloer contributed to the skill ups. To this day I have never accepted payment or made any profit on Green from smithing. Any plat that has been donated has gone into the pool Silveron has for making banded for the next new player that asks.

Anyway, with Green approaching its end-stage state, I'm still hopeful that Rogean and Nilbog's plans for a teams PvP server will happen. To let them know that the player base is still interested in such a server I'd like to run a PvP event simulating the opening of a new teams PvP server. There's some prep work that needs to be done and if you would be willing to help out, please contact me at AenorVZ#0037 on Discord.
Last edited by AenorVZ; 09-25-2021 at 07:44 AM..
Old 09-25-2021, 08:42 AM
Large Rat

I don't think you'll ever recapture what was on VZ, GL with that.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

I don't use discord but am willing to contribute to your PvP event with my attendance assuming it takes place on a p99 server.

Thanks for the interesting post.

I also noted the main things that came out of beta red 99 were nerfs rather than requested changes and experimentation with rules and balance and stuff =/
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Sarnak

I played on Tallon Zek. Teams PVP was really fun but suffered from a couple flaws.

Even though it was teams based, the server stratified basically into light races vs dark races. What inevitably happened is that the light races, due to having druids and bards (mainly bards due to stacking mana regen and haste), were able to progress PVE faster than the dark races.

All the other issues aside, like OOR healers and such, what really broke the server is when the guild Pandemonium decided they were going to totally ignore the teams pvp concept and just go full PVE, all races under the same guild tag. Due to skill and numbers, they came to dominate the server, bolstered by their progression advantage (gear), OOR heals and the like.

What followed is the realization by the other guilds that in order to compete, they too, would have to abandon the "teams" ruleset.

All that said, I would love to have a teams pvp server, and would likely roll there. I have very very fond memories of EQ pvp on Tallon Zek (however unbalanced it can be). However, major issues do need to be addressed based on the above experiencs. A classic "teams" server will not work, some of the classic elements will need to be addressed around oor healing, and other pvp balance issues, covered in many past posts (and likely already addressed on Red, from the little I know). A guild vs guild concept would likely work best.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:58 AM
Orc

The Pandas were a tough guild, indeed.

It's been so long. Did Sullon Zek come after TZ?

I played on both, chars in a variety of guilds.. Guildwars against KotWR and Panda. Good times, indeed.

<TZ/SZ name protected for the innocent>
Old 09-28-2021, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Tallon Zek. Teams PVP was really fun but suffered from a couple flaws.

Even though it was teams based, the server stratified basically into light races vs dark races. What inevitably happened is that the light races, due to having druids and bards (mainly bards due to stacking mana regen and haste), were able to progress PVE faster than the dark races.

All the other issues aside, like OOR healers and such, what really broke the server is when the guild Pandemonium decided they were going to totally ignore the teams pvp concept and just go full PVE, all races under the same guild tag. Due to skill and numbers, they came to dominate the server, bolstered by their progression advantage (gear), OOR heals and the like.

What followed is the realization by the other guilds that in order to compete, they too, would have to abandon the "teams" ruleset.

All that said, I would love to have a teams pvp server, and would likely roll there. I have very very fond memories of EQ pvp on Tallon Zek (however unbalanced it can be). However, major issues do need to be addressed based on the above experiencs. A classic "teams" server will not work, some of the classic elements will need to be addressed around oor healing, and other pvp balance issues, covered in many past posts (and likely already addressed on Red, from the little I know). A guild vs guild concept would likely work best.
Indeed - So far it seems like everyone acknowledges that Rallos was the best server on live, and a teams server would probably have some custom. Sullon Style hard coded teams would be OK, but the 3 teams on sullon didn't work that well in the end so a two teams option was considered (east vs west) as proposed by nilbog, which I think is a great idea.

So I think either classic live rallos rules, or custom hard coded 2 teams would be fun.

Guilds wouldn't be allowed to X team on this server I don't think but we will have the problem of infinite account creation so people can X team by having more than 1 character. Not much to do to avoid that, that I know of.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmway [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Pandas were a tough guild, indeed.

It's been so long. Did Sullon Zek come after TZ?

I played on both, chars in a variety of guilds.. Guildwars against KotWR and Panda. Good times, indeed.

<TZ/SZ name protected for the innocent>
Sullon was the last live pvp server to launch by a long shot, came much after RZ VZ TZ

Not counting discord server.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Rallos.Zek here.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:42 PM
Kobold

I seriously doubt that they will ever open a new PvP server but if they did I would come back for that. If they are actually considering it I have a few suggestions.

Limit it to vanilla only. Opening Kunark would only create more problems for a PvP server so just leave it at vanilla forever.

Put in some method of earning money, points, or something through PvP kills which can then be spent to buy high end items. A big part of the problem with EQ PvP is that there is no real motivation to do it. Also, the PvE endgame will inevitably warp and destroy the fun of a PvP server. But if people could earn their progression by doing PvP it might work out a lot better.

I don't know how many people remember this but with the Sullon Zek server they originally planned to have a way of earning <something> for each PvP kill which could then be redeemed for rewards but it was never implemented.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

I think item loot helps with what you describe One Tin.

I agree about Vanilla it's the best all around, I haven't even ventured to hope on a server that doesn't go to velious.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread