Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Aviak

Default Velium Mastodon Fur Cloak

So… Should this exist in our time line?

TL;DR Velium Mastodon Cloak is an anachronism. Probably.

Argumentatively, this whole thing falls flat, as absence of evidence is not evidence, and I’m electing to argue the negative. So before anything else, I’d like to concede that this is purely on an appeal to logic, rather than a structured proof of anything.

Methodology: I’ve looked through a bunch of websites, and wayback versions of the websites. Theres no end to this, but some of the beginning looks like this:

Working backward:

The oldest post on Allakhazams for Velium Mastodon Fur Cloak is March 22 2003

Nihixul
Scholar

261 posts
The correct spelling is "mastodon".

Velium Mastodon Fur Cloak
MAGIC ITEM
Slot: BACK
AC: 10
STR: +10 STA: +10
SV COLD: +10
WT: 4.0 Size:MEDIUM
Class: ALL
Race: ALL

The oldest post on Allakhazams for Velium Mastodon Fur is December 02 2002

Vamphiri
Scholar

91 posts
This is found on the Glacier Mastadons and on Tantor, the L63 named Mastadon, in Western Wastes. I'd estimate drop rate at 1 in 10-15 for getting a hide. Rarity *should* read RARE.

For the Allakhazams page on A glacier Mastodon , pre December 01 chatter is about if the mastodons drop meat, rangers killing them, being KoS to Claws of Veeshan. The first comment about the cloak and/or fur is in March 2003

Thantheman
1 post
Do these guys drop to velium Mastadon Furs per chance?

For the Allakhazams page on Tantor theres 4 pages of extremely cringeworthy comments, and the first mention of the fur/cloak is April 2003

RE: tusks?
QuoteReply
#Apr 25 2003 at 1:22 PMRating: Decent
NindarSunstar
22 posts
I have killed him 4 times in the past few days with my 60th druid. He has dropped the tusk once and a fur once. He has been red to me everytime but spells do land, just start out with glamour, snare til it lands then dot..kite...dot...kite...charm a hound if you want to kill quicker. If you wait til Tantor is 80% life you will hold aggro with np even over a hound.

In keeping with the timeline, the Crown of Deceit page on Allakhazams blows up with chatter in December 2002 as you would expect, with mass amounts of people doing the quest.

Many of the discussions on other cloaks in this era cross reference each other. All comments taken from before December 2001.
Wayback Allakhazams Velium Studded Cloak Compares to Spider Fur Cloak, Dire Wolf Hide Cloak, Hooded Black Cloak

This Cloak Sux..

By: Anonymous

Posted @ Tue, May 8th 1:34 PM 2001

Score: Good[4.00]

Rather get a Spider Fur or Dire Wolf Hide.. even hooded black cloak is better.. i say its worth 5k..
and even Cloak of the Ice Bear

Wow.
By: RetnaBurn, Scholar
94 posts
Posted @ Sat, Jun 2nd 2:46 AM 2001
Score: Decent[2.75]
Just picked up one on Sol Ro for 200pp, and it even had all of the charges. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I had to ask the guy twice if he had quoted the price correctly. Very nice upgrade from Cloak of the Ice Bear.

Retnaburn <Ascending>
53 Human Warrior
Stormhammer

The Allakhazams Velium Hound Fur Cloak compares it to the Hooded Black Cloak, Spider Fur Cloak, Cloak of Shadows and Imbued Field Plate Cloak,

Price
QuoteReply
#May 25 2001 at 11:59 PMRating: Decent
OneZen
21 posts
Given the skill level needed to make velious fur armor I can't imagine that these pieces will be cheap. This would certainly sell for at least as much as a HBC. The price listed is ridiculously low.

RE: still, 2k is way too low.
QuoteReply
#May 28 2001 at 10:22 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
HBC > Velium Hound Fur Cloak

...except for monks maybe due to weight, and this is still a bit heavy there if you look at CoS and spider fur cloak.

10 STA comes out to ~50 hps (ranger, level 57).

No way in hell I'd give up 2 AC for 5 hps, 3 str and minor saves.

It's nice, but it ain't uber.

RE: Curious
QuoteReply
#May 30 2001 at 1:48 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Imubed Field Plate Cloak (Rallos Zek) - 12 AC, 4 STR, 4 STA

kicks this thing's ***

Lodi Shield as well as the cloak series from the Western Waste dragons don’t seem to contain comparisons to this cloak either (being lazy, no links on this one).

If we hop over to Wayback on Eqtraders to a section called “Velious Fine Furs Recipes” They mention Othmir Fur, Holgresh Fur, and Velium Hound Fur. No Mastodon/Mastadon Furs.

If you google “Velium Mastodon” or “Velium Mastadon” without synatx, for queries up until January 1st 2002 the only return for either is The Fusibility Quest which uses both of those words, altho apart, in the same page.

Looking ahead, Eqtraders does list the Velium Mastodon Fur Cloak in this same section, in December 2002.

Conclussion: Regular nerds didn’t post about this, Min/max nerds didn’t post about this, and tradeskill nerds did not post about this. Even the ever classic “My brothers 37 shadowknight got this in PoFear off Stormfeather” type Allakhazams comments do not exist for this item. No one had a website with even a whiff of this item until ~December ‘02.

If it's desired, I can try and provide more evidence, but I'm struggling to find references to this item that are in-era, in the places that seem the most obvious to me. I feel like the cloak, as well as the furs, probably did not exist prior to the Crown of Deceit quest in the Planes of Power era.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 AM
Aviak

Save the Mastodons! Fur poachers are threatening the Timeline!
Old 05-29-2022, 09:01 PM
Aviak

Bump! The Mastodons did nothing wrong!