Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Banned

single best stat to put in too? Wisdom.

dex I would consider the 2nd best stat for procs, and procs you like as a Paladin for + dps/agro

Anyone else tells you otherwise they a filthy dirty casual who doesn't know hybrids.

stm is simply a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad,bad choice on p99, 1. it's easy to get stm 2. easy to soft cap it, and the returns are no where near as good as wisdom. iirc @ level 60 1 stm = 4.8 hp? so 20 stm = 96hp? when you're not capped @ 200. 20 Wisdom can give you an entire heal +800hp with CC.

Wisdom is ESPECIALLY the best stat for a casual too as most people forget that Paladins get:

Yaulp 4
1 : Increase ATK by 17
3 : Increase STR by 40
4 : Decrease Stamina Loss by 10

which they should be using for the ATK, iirc 10 atk = 1% more dps??? roughly? + the str making you hit a little harder.

I don't think it warrants a reroll.

But if you want to be serious about playing a Paladin then you might want to consider it before it's too late.

If you're a casual and end up getting to the 50's then I'd suggest getting your bum to plate cycle/arena in KD and getting this armor:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Runed_P...7s_Breastplate
https://wiki.project1999.com/Runed_P...or%27s_Greaves
https://wiki.project1999.com/Runed_P...%27s_Vambraces
https://wiki.project1999.com/Runed_Protector%27s_Helm

there's 27 str, 13 stm, 13 dex and only....8 wisdom.

----

Note:

I built my PvE blue Paladin (who's level 52 now, I dont play anymore on p99) around the concept that Wisdom was the best stat for a casualish player, I think my mana pool is 2.8k on a high elf in crafted/crap gear. My semi NToV geared red Paladin @ level 60 has like 3.1k Mana and it's biggest draw back was running low on mana in lots of situations. A hybrid without mana is a wet noodle and a waste of space. so if you can increase your mana pool by 20-30% you're going to be a better asset ( in a Paladin way ) when you need to a) burn your mana, b) solo.

Also you can efficiently level your Paladin 15-52 in duo's/solo's that require a decent mana pool, you just have to have patience and the know how. It slows down post 52 as xp pool requirements ramp up hard.
Last edited by Beastagoog; 01-12-2018 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

Note 2:

Another reason why you need a bigger mana pool is this: https://wiki.project1999.com/Soothe costs 30 mana per cast till you get your DW arms, and you going to be using this spell alot going 30-46 ( when you get DW arms for free clicky version). Calm costs 50 mana and Pacify costs 100 mana but you rarely use Pacify as a solo Paladin since you don't really kill mob levels that are 50+ solo.

If you have a Mana pool of 1000 at 40, you're gunna run out of mana rather quick especially if you have to sooth 3 mobs to pull one out and solo it ( that's almost 10% of your mana) when you fight the mobs and you get low HP and you needed JUST that one more heal to get the mob over the line than you will curse the day you didn't aim for the biggest manapool you could get.

Note 3:

A point on mana regen side of things? yes you will have a hard time regening mana unless you get buffs and or some high end raid items/quest items, ( have they fixed the FT stack problem on this server? ) I think Paladin can get MAX FT4 stacked on p99 but it's pretty much you're life traded to attain it.

Anyone who's played a Paladin solo/duoish knows that eventually you need to med for mana, infact most of the time after you solo a mob/a few mobs you HAVE to med up. Having a larger mana pool will make your med times longer (like duh?), but you're killing at a more efficient rate/safer rate. Trust me when I tell you want that extra heal, or root, or stuns over the .25% more dps from the 20 str or the 80 hp from the 20 stm.

Note 4:

So again if you're a casual player wisdom is the best stat you can get, if you're a hardcore raider it doesn't matter what your stats are because you're just there to give the tanks a +200hp buff.
Last edited by Beastagoog; 01-12-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Imo there are arguments for and against both wisdom and stamina because a paladin's role is situational. In groups you'll have so much survivability but on raids, especially in Velious, you'll be a speed bump / battle rezzer. It's a shame that hybrids weren't given the ability to specialize, at a later level than priests/purecasters, as that would have allowed for a slightly more significant role on raids. Paladins that wanted to forgo raiding altogether could have chosen evocation to be actual undead soloers. And paladins that wanted to be more than just reliable spot healers could have specialized in alteration.

But even for all of the raid encounters where paladins aren't used in their primary role (tanking), there are still quite a few situations where paladins manage just fine. The ring war is a good example. When needing to disengage and head off giants that have popped on the opposite side of GD, you can do so without having a cleric or shaman attached at the hip because you have loh, group heal, and mini torpor to keep yourself and others alive until the rest of the raid arrives. Imo the importance of your manapool is greater then, more so than mana regen because by the time you'll have regened enough for another heal, reinforcements will have arrived (and if not than the ring war is probably lost).

However most of the time as a hybrid tank you will be relegated to tanking Kunark's mobs needed for epics, but a fair number of players still need/want theirs so it's not for nothing. Faydedar, Yael, Xenovorash, Black Reavers, etc. Basically, all the stuff that can be downed with one group.

As the tank in those situations you're open to being stunned, blinded, silenced, grav-fluxed, bashed, feared, etc...and resist gear only goes so far on p99. Paladins don't have access to frontal stun immunity (or even cure blindness as a spell, oddly enough) so you can expect to be interrupted when casting any spell that isn't yaulp, flash of light, or divine aura, and to be blinded where only your hotkeyed spell(s) will be usable. Taking that into account, imo stamina/raw hp are probbably more important than wisdom/raw mana. Sta/hp are passive benefits used up by the mob's attacks, whereas wis/mana must be actively used in order to have value and that value is dependent on a number of conditions, not excluding player skill and ping. If you go linkdead, you'll still be in-game for a few minutes autoattacking and taking damage, but you won't be casting so your mana is worthless. If you're running from a train of mobs, your mana isn't going to save you because you have to be standing still in order to cast (except when spamming yaulp). HP, AC, resists, and potions will keep you alive, along with LoH.

While offhealing your character is open to the occasional aoe and healer aggro. Your hp can't be converted into mana unless you have a manastone and are in an old world zone, so it's only useful as a buffer to keep more important/squishy classes alive. You're not just keeping DPS alive, but enchanters as well. Clerics and shamans are usually hard-pressed for mana and/or too focused on the tank/ramp tank to notice pet breaks and what not.

Plate house is another good example of where paladins are more ideal than warriors. Everyone wants to rush through as many cycles as possible as quickly as possible and snap aggro is great for that, with the additional cc helping to make sure the fleeing dwarf doesn't make it beyond the stairs. With clarity II and a flowing thought item, it's really difficult to get anywhere near being oom.

I usually try to compensate for whatever stat(s) my chosen race is lacking so that, as a class, they are more well-rounded. If p99 had no expansions whatsoever, than those initial 20 points would be more significant in a min/max conversation, but classic is a trilogy and that includes Velious with all of the amazing buffs and hybrid gear. So, imo, don't bother rerolling.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Really good advice ENNEWI and BEASTAGOOG
Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 AM
Fire Giant

Dwarf +5 agil rest in wis or all wis High Elf are the best options, the mana to celestial cleansing ratio will always trump stamina hp gain

are you on blue? Nature's Defender might be a cool alternative to an epic and more obtainable. Do you want a robe? Robe of the Azure Sky is something HEs have over dwarves. I've played both, I tried an all Wisdom Dwarf and tried to use the Cat O' Nine Tails procs to keep my agility above 75 but it just wasen't worth it and was a pain in the ass to keep up imho. IMHO Dwarf if the way to go on Red, HE on blue. I think I liked my HE more though, the additional CHA on a HE was noticable on lull attempts when pulling but that 65 base str is shitty for encumbrance but I had like 120 base wisdom for heals, both were on red so ymmv
Last edited by Squire; 03-08-2018 at 01:13 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 AM
Planar Protector

Charisma will help you beg your way into groups, and later raid gear, for sure.

Definitely the stat for convincing city mobs and village hands to follow you on holy crusades too.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Levels > all.

Besides a few quests or gear items you may want that other races cannot use (Natures Defender for example or Dwarf/Human for Dain's Frostreaver) for a pally it's a toss-up. Even for SK's if you go with a Dark Elf over an Ogre or Iksar it won't make a notable difference with your ability to do end-game content.

Sage is right. Having mana for group heals might be the main reason for wisdom. Otherwise it's about mana regen and using down-ranked spells for aggro. Flash of Light is cheap as hell as is the lvl 30 stun. Once the Deepwater helm works you have a free 120'ish hp heal for a 10 second cast so soloing hard stuff is more a matter of patience than race.

I went Erudite for fashionquest and put my points into Strength figuring I would never raid or prob hit lvl 60. With Deepwater armor and some cheap EC items I'm at about 120 str with a 2hander or 140 with the Shield of Stalwart Seas. Without those points I'd be overweight pretty much non-stop. Even with Yelp, that's an annoying way to play. Carrying a few charisma items is also handy for lulling.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-08-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 AM
Kobold

Sheer nonsense. Why roll a class that isn't great for raiding then stat it up for raiding? If you want to be good at raiding, roll a raid class. If you roll a paladin it should be because you want to tank stuff in non-raid situations.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Kobold

Reroll High Elf or Dwarf if you're afraid of the racial superiority of the High Elf, max wis, and start on Red if you're man enough. Also, exp bonus on Red and no Paladin exp penalty, so much faster leveling (You will be 60 by the time it takes you get 50 on Blue).
Closed Thread