Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Default Bard tips needed! Thanks!

Going to make a bard alt. I am looking for tips, such as macros to use, tips on how to use instruments, etc.

Anything you guys can think of that would be good to learn or know how to do on a bard is what I seek.

I do not want to swarm kite, so no instructions on that please.

I will group and solo for XP using melee then later charm once I get that.

Thanks you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Bard is not really super gear dependent.

Get the best drum you can (mistmoore drum is what most bard's get first).

Get a goblin gazughi ring if you plan to solo with charming (or even use charm in grps --- I hate bards that make a grp sit around for 12 seconds waiting for their charm to break).

Standard kit is breath of harmony for the clicky and anything else. It stinks, but for most bard their melee dps is not their utility --- at higher lvls you'll be much more useful with instruments singing the right songs than adding your melee dps.

Bard clickies from kunark armor are good. You'll want the helm (eye for pulling), bracer (targetable DS), boots (lev --- I love these), gloves (EB). The helm can be a pain to find for sale, so keep an eye for it early on.

Resist gear helps with pulling in caster areas.

As for macros I really only have a few set up for my bard (these are for GINA or GAMPARSE):

I have one that makes a click noise on spell fizzles. You'll fizzle a lot and when you are trying to twist or solo it is easier with a macro for this.

Max charm timer. You can begin to recast charm before it breaks, so knowing when you are in the 3-6 seconds left on your charm is helpful. If you are charm killing in a tight spot it is very essential to regain charm before both mobs are on you after a break.

Max selos timer. If you are kiting in a tight spot and twisting I find it helpful to see how much time I have left on selos. In some camps selos dropping can mean serious problems.

I also keep a timer on my lev boots (it is only like 5 min) so that I can reclick them at camps before they drop mid kite.

I have track bound to a movement key. Keep it up, keep it refreshed. If something pops in zone and you're the puller its your job to see it on track and beat anyone else to it (you're a bard---selos and go).

You'll want to make a macro for the /stopsong command. You can add stopsong to the first line of the items you click (if you are singing you need to stop singing to click them). So jboots, kunark clickies, etc. Also, sometimes songs get stuck (bugged) and the gems won't refresh until you hit stopsong.

Swapping instruments is painful...and I'd only recommend it if your grp is desperately in need of something, or you feel like showing off.

For the most part, my biggest advice for a group bard is to surrender to what the class is best at and abandon its weak spots. You don't want to melee after lvl 30. Your best song twist line up is frequently pulse mana, pulse mana, pulse mana, mana song. You'll get accused by ignorant folks that you are being lazy because they grped with some idiot the night before that kept 4 songs up in their buff box all night (pulse mana has no icon---teach folks this) but they were the wrong songs.

Learn to pull if you don't already. Bard puller in exp grp is best in game imo.
Learn your songs. Bard songs are complicated compared to other class spells. Depending on your grp setup you need to figure out your best line up....know which hastes have stats or are just pure haste. learn which spells have runes that work on canni for shamans, etc.

It is fairly common that I group on my bard that someone wrongly criticizes the spell lineup that I am using or that I am not meleeing in favor of instruments. They are usually just dumb wrong. Teach them.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard is not really super gear dependent.

Get the best drum you can (mistmoore drum is what most bard's get first).

Get a goblin gazughi ring if you plan to solo with charming (or even use charm in grps --- I hate bards that make a grp sit around for 12 seconds waiting for their charm to break).

Standard kit is breath of harmony for the clicky and anything else. It stinks, but for most bard their melee dps is not their utility --- at higher lvls you'll be much more useful with instruments singing the right songs than adding your melee dps.

Bard clickies from kunark armor are good. You'll want the helm (eye for pulling), bracer (targetable DS), boots (lev --- I love these), gloves (EB). The helm can be a pain to find for sale, so keep an eye for it early on.

Resist gear helps with pulling in caster areas.

As for macros I really only have a few set up for my bard (these are for GINA or GAMPARSE):

I have one that makes a click noise on spell fizzles. You'll fizzle a lot and when you are trying to twist or solo it is easier with a macro for this.

Max charm timer. You can begin to recast charm before it breaks, so knowing when you are in the 3-6 seconds left on your charm is helpful. If you are charm killing in a tight spot it is very essential to regain charm before both mobs are on you after a break.

Max selos timer. If you are kiting in a tight spot and twisting I find it helpful to see how much time I have left on selos. In some camps selos dropping can mean serious problems.

I also keep a timer on my lev boots (it is only like 5 min) so that I can reclick them at camps before they drop mid kite.

I have track bound to a movement key. Keep it up, keep it refreshed. If something pops in zone and you're the puller its your job to see it on track and beat anyone else to it (you're a bard---selos and go).

You'll want to make a macro for the /stopsong command. You can add stopsong to the first line of the items you click (if you are singing you need to stop singing to click them). So jboots, kunark clickies, etc. Also, sometimes songs get stuck (bugged) and the gems won't refresh until you hit stopsong.

Swapping instruments is painful...and I'd only recommend it if your grp is desperately in need of something, or you feel like showing off.

For the most part, my biggest advice for a group bard is to surrender to what the class is best at and abandon its weak spots. You don't want to melee after lvl 30. Your best song twist line up is frequently pulse mana, pulse mana, pulse mana, mana song. You'll get accused by ignorant folks that you are being lazy because they grped with some idiot the night before that kept 4 songs up in their buff box all night (pulse mana has no icon---teach folks this) but they were the wrong songs.

Learn to pull if you don't already. Bard puller in exp grp is best in game imo.
Learn your songs. Bard songs are complicated compared to other class spells. Depending on your grp setup you need to figure out your best line up....know which hastes have stats or are just pure haste. learn which spells have runes that work on canni for shamans, etc.

It is fairly common that I group on my bard that someone wrongly criticizes the spell lineup that I am using or that I am not meleeing in favor of instruments. They are usually just dumb wrong. Teach them.
Thank you for all of this. I never thought about gazughi ring for bards heh. I really appreciate the tips.
Quote:
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Wiki write up is good. But if you just want to kite to 60 you can do that with a drum a lute and a horn. no gear needed. I would recommend Jboots tho.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get 48, join vox raid, request white scale, get epic.
I will be lucky to get past 30 lvl tbh. I also don't care about epics. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I just wanted to see if anyone could provide info I was unaware of and Fastboy gave me plenty of useful info.
Quote:
Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Fire Giant

Breath of Harmony is very meh. You have to stop singing to right click it, and it doesn't get an instrument modifier. Extremely tedious for marginal benefit. Actually meleeing in general is really only for vanity, level 30 rogues will do more damage than you.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get 48, join vox raid, request white scale, get epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To save your wrists just make 8 macros like this instead of double-tapping songs:

/stopsong
/cast X
Get familiar with tab targeting if you're not already, whatever your target is when start a song, is what it will land on.

Never just do one thing at a time.

Play the songs you know are best for the group/situation, not what a particular member of the group thinks you should be doing. You will get better at this over time, and it will be more and more pertinent in your 40s and 50s.

Get used to your casting bar disappearing while twisting songs, learn to recognize the difference between this and a missed note.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRo2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Get used to your casting bar disappearing while twisting songs, learn to recognize the difference between this and a missed note.
yah. the bar disappearing is one of the most annoying bugs about barding on p99.

Just ignore every EQ reflex you have. If the bar disappears mid cast it isn't because you fizzled, just let it go. Its still casting and if you don't stop it it will finish.

This is one of the reasons why I have the "missed note" gamparse filter set up. When I miss a note I will hear the fizzle (mine is a clicking sound), no click no fizzle.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Or just recast whenever bar disappears and you have 0 problems, besides losing like 0.2 seconds.
Closed Thread