Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-08-2022, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

This thread is the best
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:42 AM
Skeleton

Can you include halflings that start in Akanon w/ gnomes?
Old 11-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Planar Protector

Halflings can start in Lesser Fay as exchange students for brownies sent to rivervale.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-09-2022, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

So far from playing people are talking about imaginary eq custom servers. If only this energy wouldn’t be wasted writing novels on dead forums.

Toodles
Old 11-09-2022, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Glad to see ol uncle tass lurkin
Old 11-09-2022, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Looks like even Tass wants to be in on the action!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-09-2022, 08:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halflings can start in Lesser Fay as exchange students for brownies sent to rivervale.
They got the Nillipuss brownie connection, only makes sense. For real though, maybe make the LFAY brownie village the halfling starter area? Nobody fully utilizes that brownie village anyway.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 11-09-2022, 08:58 PM
Planar Protector

Halfling on shorty team makes shorty even more OP

I really think the problem is gunna be only magnetaress playing on team elf
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:39 AM
Fire Giant

Short team has one less race and I'll be playing a Dark Elf. Elf team has some pretty sweet zones honestly I kind of consider them OP not the short team. I will admit the short team is probably more fun though. Plus, sadly, none of the short team races can do a flying kick animation as monks but all of the elf races can. The NPCs are in that make any race at level 1 a shaman, bard, or monk.

Currently Halflings start at Butcher dock where I planned to add a little camp for them. The lore of the server is still a prequel so Halflings are the first major visitors from Antonica and Dark Elves are Innoruuks soldiers trying to kill the Dwarves. Elves are allied with Dark Elves because they have their King/Queen hostage. The Gnomes, once this attack from the elves started, magically moved the entrance for their city to Butcherblock.

Blackburrow zone is in a small abandoned tower in Butcherblock. You walk through the tower door to zone. Gnomes start in Akanon and when you zone out of Akanon you zone into Butcher at the undead tower next to the Druid BB port. Same concept, if you enter the tower door you zone to Akanon. I'm not in love with either of these but they work for now. There are a couple gnome guards outside the undead tower but I'll add some more maybe move the vendors from outside Akanon to that location and add a couple custom mobs in their empty huts outside akanon. Also I turned off the Akanon zone from Steamfont side so it's just a short cave. I was thinking of adding a raid Gnome Monk or something there. The one who stayed behind when the elves attacked.

I think I'm making good enough progress to do a soft beta launch Friday. I'm sure there are a lot of issues because I haven't done much testing outside of the mechanics I added which will work flawlessly. This is what I had left. Items with a question mark icon were probably okay to do after beta starts.

https://pvpeq.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3

Anyway...

I came back here to ask for a couple things.

How to deal with zone dancing and plugging? If I remember right R99 if you plugged you came out other side LD but you still danced. Some players might consider this a fun classic mechanic but I always thought it was lame.

I was thinking of putting a proximity NPC event at all zone lines that protects you from PvP. This avoids the dancing and plugging. Zone lines are a more effective form of safety without all the BS. That's pretty care bear though and also introduces a new custom mechanic that could dramatically impact PvP.

The next idea is a spell effect that blocks zoning which gets applied every time you zone OR gets applied if you've been in PvP recently. It just lasts 10-20 seconds enough to push things more in the direction of fighting instead of back and forth zoning. Plugging you would still pop out LD. This sounds like coding I don't really want to do but I could. The main problem being the client starts zoning and you can cancel it in an awkward way or send them to the safe spot so I'd have to find a better way to cancel their zone attempt if the effect is active.

And last I'm thinking just do nothing and leave it as it is. That's classic and it's fine for now.

Outside of that if anyone has experience with PvP and raiding I'd like to talk to someone via private message about ideas to improve that experience and make the raid fights more challenging. I never liked raiding so I'm the last person who should probably try to make custom content for that group. Whatever gets worked out I'd like it to be private so raiding is still novel.
Last edited by azxten; 11-10-2022 at 12:44 AM..
Old 11-10-2022, 12:58 AM
Fire Giant

Also what happened on R99 during raiding in terms of combat in general? Was melee or casting overpowered?

I'm thinking about including my classic channeling code but people will freak out since they're used to P99 care bear channeling. If it would positively impact PvP though by making casters less powerful during pre-Kunark era I think it's worth it. The main difference is you have to pass a channeling check for every attack not just one roll.

I wanted to make a private emulator server to play on with my family so I intend to pursue making this a classic server with clear boundaries on customization. PvP relevant stuff, experience rates, and the Faydwer map should be close to all of the custom changes compared to pre-Kunark era.
Last edited by azxten; 11-10-2022 at 01:01 AM..