Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Your map is terrible, especially since it has custom aspects for where you zone to.
- If you provide the zone connections in a readable format, I can help recreate it.
- e.g. (Steamfont > Lesser Faydark, Steamfont > (Prev Akanon) Butcherblock)

Creating your own login server/Going against a login server that everyone uses is probably not the right move, for the EQ or EQ PVP community.
- It's a timesink, where you could be spending time on developing a better pvp server.
- How bad is the data segregation vs an unpopulated server, with extra steps?
- I would rather have exposure to the general community of EQemu players, rather than split communities up. Think about longevity of most EQemu servers, and especially EQ Pvp, they die - which makes people feel like they've wasted their time. If your goal is to focus on a long lasting PVP server, people wouldn't have to question if they're wasting their time or not. They want some stability.
I agree, the map is terrible. It's based on this map which I wanted to use because it lets you easily visualize distance to things and team positions. It's not a good map for players though.

https://www.eqmaps.info/wp-content/u...-03-01-SoV.bmp
Old 11-13-2022, 05:19 PM
Skeleton

I'm not trying to cut down ideas, but wouldn't it be easier to leave the world/zones as is, because people are familiar with where things are. Then instead a better concept would be to provide translocators to places that should be more accessible due to teaming?
Old 11-13-2022, 09:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Records [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not trying to cut down ideas, but wouldn't it be easier to leave the world/zones as is, because people are familiar with where things are. Then instead a better concept would be to provide translocators to places that should be more accessible due to teaming?

I disagree. I think keeping the map this way accomplishes several things which would benefit the server. The theme of this server is a war for Faydwer. Not Norrath.
  • Keeping all the classic dungeons in allows for better itemization and balance for each team.
  • Having them connect the way they do allows for the world to remain small, without needing all the worthless connecting zones.
  • A smaller world benefits the smaller PVP population, making the world feel more alive and full of fights.
  • Custom dungeon zonelines allow for PVP back doors into enemy territory, which is good.
  • Why should anyone care about what "people are familiar with"? That's one of the main reasons EQ can never be like it was in 1999 because people are complete experts when it comes to this game.
  • Change can be good and refreshing.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 11-13-2022, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Yes a custom map is good. Translocators suck. It’s quite easy to change where zone lines take you.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes a custom map is good. Translocators suck.
100%
Old 11-14-2022, 07:04 AM
Planar Protector

Agreed to avoid using translocators.

Don't feel like you need to use the entire dungeon when you drop one in from Antonica. By changing the points in the dungeon where the zonelines are, so you only use a fraction of a dungeon, you can keep it feeling fresh and avoid bloating the size of the world.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-14-2022, 01:41 PM
Fire Giant

I'm deep down the classic rabbit hole now. The good news is I think I can actually make a classic server that is actually better than P99, the bad news is it's going to take awhile like on the order of a year depending on how many off shored researchers and coders I hire. I could do some kind of retarded classic server but I'm not going out like that.

My boats will work with full collision and I'll lord it over the P99 staff. I might just be able to get boats fixed and then strong arm them into giving me all their classic work in exchange for working boats. They love those boats.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

I love boats too. Trade for some database in a friendly manner, or something else in a friendly manner.

If you deliver on half of what you say, eq classic weirdos are going to be reaping some great benefits from your work
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Would be awesome if tru p99 did A LOT of really gud werk no doubt about it, but they didn't go the extra mile with certain mechanics for whatever reason and that is ok hopes and prayers
Old 11-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would be awesome if tru p99 did A LOT of really gud werk no doubt about it, but they didn't go the extra mile with certain mechanics for whatever reason and that is ok hopes and prayers
It's cos the staff are secretly shareholders in DAP, and have financial incentive for the boats to be undesirable travel options.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung