Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-23-2022, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

What was eq classic server?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They recreated the original UI! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you encroach from Rallos btw?

I have a feeling id take a look at the original UI and go oh, neat and then flip back to the modern one.

I havent gotten around to try the server, for some reason my client is still linked to original servers and i didnt feel like looking it up.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What was eq classic server?
It was an EQ project trying to bring back true classic, UI and all. It ended up folding up, but they completed a lot of code & made significant progress.

http://www.eqclassic.org/index.php

http://eqclassic.de/wiki/Main_Page

These LanternEQ folks are making use of some of that hard work:

Quote:
While we are not directly associated with any other projects, EQClassic developer Harakiri has generously allowed us to use a local test server for reverse engineering. Without this, progress would be much slower and in some cases impossible.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 11-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm stripping everything out of EQemu that doesn't exist after Planes of Power. Going to do an open source classic emulator fork that includes quests and database. I took out instancing, tasks, adventures, expeditions, ldon mechanics, and some other crap so far and still have it building and functioning.

I'm thinking the functionality will be that you set a timestamp for "server start time" and a timer counts from there in order to change functionality as appropriate. Only changes which last more than a month would be included. All of these changes will have rule values to turn them on/off and so will potential "overpowered" classic mechanics like AE kiting, fine steel pet delay, etc. This allows server owners to easily adjust classic mechanics to their preference.

My bug list is currently at about 1,200 bugs I expect it will be just under 10k bugs when I finish. These will be prioritized in terms of impact to the player with the most important things being fixed first.

This will be the basis for multiple servers. I am thinking traditional classic, legends, roleplay, rz/tz/vz/sz/discord rule set servers. Idea being one of each type of all server types that existed. The PvP rules functionality will be the first thing I cut a PR for to contribute code back to EQEmu. Legends server would probably be a code driven randomization of quests, item drops, etc and a potential idea I'm considering is to implement AI created custom encounters for players. This would be similar to games like Left 4 Dead where the AI considers your ability in terms of HP, guns, etc and provides unique gameplay encounters where you can still meet the level of challenge. FaydWAR will also exist using this forked emu as an example of how to take the code and make a custom classic server easily.

Servers will go to PoP this is a much better place to dead end a server than Velious due to the additional functionality and raid content. Servers would rotate in such a way that there is always one server about to add an expansion or start over again every couple months so there is always a "new" thing going on somewhere. Servers restart awhile after PoP with players getting dumped into a permanent blue or red server type. I also have an idea for a custom mechanic to address the current raid bottlenecks that should avoid non-classic experience while letting players have more opportunity to experience challenging raiding.

My hope is to produce something that is better than P99 and fully open so anyone can enjoy a classic era server. If people want to play on these servers that's great but my focus is going to be on producing a better experience even if no one plays it except my friends and family. As an aside P99 still has major bugs from 2010 that have never gotten a response. Like I said, about 10k bugs in total I expect are still relevant. They're probably drowning in them the scope is larger than I ever imagined. All the more reason to have an open project instead of relying on a couple people who seem burnt out and likely rightly so.
You could direct your time to helping "eqemu peq expansions"... idk the state, but a lot of work from eqemu on "TLPing" the eqemu source, so you can set an expansion and it will only have stuff for that era. But what you're doing is still cool.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

The future is Lantern EQ because faction can't even work classicly and right, especially under titanium or other closed source clients. This was kinda the last straw for me and emu. Even if as a player the proper classic configuration would be a hinderence. And the source and proof is dead. It died sometime after 2018. The ppl with all of the proof and data sitting in their laps want it secret. And they don't want to fix it here. Can't say as I blame em. It really isn't worth the time. Especially not for the green and blue raid scene. As it just doesn't really effect them anyway enough to fix for them. They'd not even notice.

They should contribute all that backend data and evidence to a FOSS project tho b4 they completely abandon it.
Last edited by magnetaress; 11-24-2022 at 10:09 AM..
Old 11-24-2022, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The future is Lantern EQ because faction can't even work classicly and right, especially under titanium or other closed source clients. This was kinda the last straw for me and emu. Even if as a player the proper classic configuration would be a hinderence. And the source and proof is dead. It died sometime after 2018. The ppl with all of the proof and data sitting in their laps want it secret. And they don't want to fix it here. Can't say as I blame em. It really isn't worth the time. Especially not for the green and blue raid scene. As it just doesn't really effect them anyway enough to fix for them. They'd not even notice.

They should contribute all that backend data and evidence to a FOSS project tho b4 they completely abandon it.
I'm in two minds about feeding it back. Obviously it was a lot of work, so I can see how they would want to protect it... but on the other hand, the community has provided a constant >1000 volunteer play testers over a period of 10 years so it would be nice for the server to give back something to the wider community for that service.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 11-24-2022, 07:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm in two minds about feeding it back. Obviously it was a lot of work, so I can see how they would want to protect it... but on the other hand, the community has provided a constant >1000 volunteer play testers over a period of 10 years so it would be nice for the server to give back something to the wider community for that service.
They keep the titanium hacks secret for good reason to stop cheaters. And there's a point that if everyone sees the database of drops it just makes it easier to automate farming and quest exploitation. So to discourage it its not easy to get. Takes a lot more effort to scrape the wiki. And that doesn't give exact locations pathiing data triggers and tags generally.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 PM
Orc

More notes:
I bought SoW, but it won't let me scribe it to my spell book because I already have SoW scribed.
When I get an NPC to like 50% health and zone out then zone back in, the NPCs health goes up slowly - on normal EQ once you break agro the NPC health goes up really fast.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More notes:
I bought SoW, but it won't let me scribe it to my spell book because I already have SoW scribed.
When I get an NPC to like 50% health and zone out then zone back in, the NPCs health goes up slowly - on normal EQ once you break agro the NPC health goes up really fast.
Which character is yours? Shamz? I'll fix your SoW spell. I'm surprised there are so many characters already I guess people have been stopping by. I am focused on the "ClassicEmu" project so haven't been updating things on the beta server.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

Have something basic together now...

https://github.com/ClassicEmuAdm?tab=repositories

This strips instances, tasks, expeditions, adventures, spells beyond level 65, LDoN functionality, most items from expansions beyond PoP, eliminates Defiant armor drops and other irrelevant global loot drops, changes weapon models back to classic, all zones beyond PoP and associated data, all quest components in zones beyond PoP, and probably more small stuff I'm forgetting about.

There will be one additional repository for an open source dll injection to implement classic functionality on the client side similar to P99 but without P99's anti-cheat/obfuscation functions.

Still playing around with an idea but I think I'd like to offer character exports/imports. You would be able to export your character data as a .sql file so you can reload your exact character in another emulator. The main point of this will be that I also want to offer precompiled binaries with all of these files bundled up. You would click "Play My Character" and essentially get a download of the emulator ready to start with your character data from a public server preloaded. This way any progress you make on an emu server you can save for your personal use. For example a guild could all export their character data and load it into a single private emulator for their members. A group of friends could save their characters from a dying emu server and play them together. I'd like to try to extend this somehow maybe allowing people to copy characters from PVE to PVP servers. What I think would be really cool but probably not practical would be to create a ClassicEmu grouping of servers run by different people which all support copying characters between them. The server operators would have to be part of a trusted group that would not run illegitimate servers and so the character data is somewhat legit between servers. Let players take their character between multiple servers with different rule sets without having to "start over" and hopefully encouraging more cross play between servers.

Someone above mentioned the projecteq expansions project. That seems to be dead for the last 2 years but I do plan to continue using the min/max expansion database fields where possible so changes could be easily implemented on the projecteq database if they want. Same with changes to eqemu, although this is a stripped down classic emu fork changes can be merged for most things.

As an example of why this sucks though. Look at weapon models, the PEQ database changed to new age models for everything because that is how live is. These models are determined by "idfile" field in the "npc_types" table which has an entry for every NPC in the game. Except this table only defines the NPC it has no min/max expansion field. There are spawn tables that refer to the npc_types table which do have min/max expansions. This means if you wanted "classic weapon models" to be something that is turned on/off using the database fields they added you would have to duplicate every NPC in the game who holds fine steel as one example just to specify a new idfile and then change the min/max expansions for both copies of the NPC to be pre/post this weapon model change. That is so inefficient and tedious compared to just changing all the weapon idfile fields to the proper model and being done because those models won't change until after PoP therefore we don't need to maintain two copies of all the NPCs for a classic server. The simplistic min/max expansion concept doesn't translate well to situations like this. It is poor systems design to architect something like that would require you to duplicate tons of data. Instead you should have "idfile2" field and then you have a mapping of min/max expansion which maps to these multiple idfile fields. That will become.. an incredible amount of effort when you consider all the ways this will need to be done beyond just idfile. You could also change EQemu and use a rule value to load old/new models but then you're not changing ProjectEQ and this isn't part of the database. How do rule values get turned on/off per expansion? That support doesn't exist currently. It's probably 10x more work to build a classic EQ rule system into existing EQemu/ProjectEQ than it is to just create a classic emu and not worry about ever having to turn certain things on/off that will never exist in the "classic" era.
Last edited by azxten; 11-25-2022 at 03:40 PM..