Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 04:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomagradd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool - looks like you added the spell book! Any other big changes?
tldr; lots of minor crap

Changed a lot of the sizes. Buttons are more the raw style now. Spellbook was already in but I broke it a bit apparently with the "done" button when lining up the original. Changed all the Spellgems to be the right pixel ratio so they look crisp but still need work, in the sense they are the original 1998 spell gems now but up scaled in their .png formats from like 256x256 to 4x's that. In the "live" version this looks better because I up scaled like 8x's then was able to downscale in engine because sidl allows that in the newer engine on live. Its just hard to get the raw pixel density while up scaling cause it has to be in twos.. So I will probably have to make a version specific for 4k, and one for 1440p because the dif between 4k and 1440p is pretty huge so the spellgems need to be probably 4x's the size, maybe 8x's in size, the Live client makes this easier..

Hotbar spellgem looks proper now. Working on making the transparent buttons actually press in the hotbar itself without it looking jank. Also buttons in the actions window are classic now with proper pixel ratio with the upscale to look good. I gotta work more on the Options window but did a bit to some of it. I still gotta fix a few things. Mostly I did work on the Live verison, then transitioned all my fixes there to the P99 version. Lots of things are not to pixel ratio still though.

Also for the P99 version I started on the character creation window. The actions macro button window when you create a actions button.. Working on the quantity window to make that look classic. Loot window buttons I just made look a little better with proper pixel ratio. Live version has a lot of issues though, like the Merchant window and loot window aren't much yet.. And with live version it comes with a ton of new windows for AA etc..
Last edited by Shawk; 10-19-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Old 10-19-2021, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

nice work man, very cool
Old 10-20-2021, 05:21 AM
Kobold

Looks weird on 1440p, too big and pixelated
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzHaN80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks weird on 1440p, too big and pixelated
Good. I actually wanted to make it larger for 4k, which is why I will probably have to make another one for 4k specifically. It's meant to mimic the classic game's UI from 1999, with the same aspect ratio as it was originally, So 640x480, which was fullscreen not wide screen obviously.

So upscaling the 800x600's aspect ratio to 1920x1440 and comparing it to 2560x1440 looks like this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In reality, It should be bigger. My only concern was to keep pixel ratio density, to maintain the pixels and not blur them. So to do this you have to resample to the nearest neighbor and only in 2 x increments, so with 4k it will be something like 4x the size.

The way the UI is by default is miniature, so it makes sense it seems weird but aspect ratio wise it is made to be nearly exactly the same as it was in the day. It is actually more close to 1920x1080:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So its weird but even 1080p isn't too big in comparison aspect ratio wise.

This said, the Live one will look a lot better because I can make the image files 4, 8, 16, 32 times the size, then downscale them in engine which is a pixel art trick to make it look amazing but if I do that then the UI folder will be like 1GB lol.
Last edited by Shawk; 10-20-2021 at 11:39 PM..