Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 11:49 PM
Large Rat

Default Can someone please tell me how charm works

Hi all, Haven't played EQ in 18 years, been having a blast being back, however I'm running in to some reallyyyy frustrating play right now for the first time on my druid, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, everything up until this point, charm kiting has been working amazingly with few early breaks/etc. I'm 24, out in Everfrost trying to charm kite the mammoths, and all the ones I'm tagging are blue cons, nothing above that, and it's like these things have a build in frikken magic immunity or 75% less spell duration or something, I do not, for the life of me, understand. I charm, sit to med, 15-30s later, sometimes almost immediately, charm AND roots break. So then I'm spending more mana to re charm, as well as face tanking some hits because they want to resist my snares and roots as well, only to have the same process keep repeating, I have literally been spending all of my time trying to keep something charmed and med up mana/hp. I have only had 1 successful pull here out of hours of trying.

I've tried everything. Please help.
Sincerely, flustered but still so happy to be back.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all, Haven't played EQ in 18 years, been having a blast being back, however I'm running in to some reallyyyy frustrating play right now for the first time on my druid, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, everything up until this point, charm kiting has been working amazingly with few early breaks/etc. I'm 24, out in Everfrost trying to charm kite the mammoths, and all the ones I'm tagging are blue cons, nothing above that, and it's like these things have a build in frikken magic immunity or 75% less spell duration or something, I do not, for the life of me, understand. I charm, sit to med, 15-30s later, sometimes almost immediately, charm AND roots break. So then I'm spending more mana to re charm, as well as face tanking some hits because they want to resist my snares and roots as well, only to have the same process keep repeating, I have literally been spending all of my time trying to keep something charmed and med up mana/hp. I have only had 1 successful pull here out of hours of trying.

I've tried everything. Please help.
Sincerely, flustered but still so happy to be back.
According to the wiki, wooly mammoths are min level 22. So you are attempting to charm deep blue mobs. While I do not know if wooly mammoths have higher than average MR, level difference plays a big role in resists. My guess is they are just more resistant due to only being 1-2 levels below you. You probably need to charm something lower level.

I am not an expert charmer by any means, but those are my two cents. I have never played a Druid, but I do not believe druids get -MR spells below level 50, so druid charming is probably a bit more difficult, since you don't have something like tash.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Factors affecting charm duration:

1. Your level relative to the mob.
2. Mob MR.
3. Your charisma (unconfirmed).
Old 09-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Factors affecting charm duration:

1. Your level relative to the mob.
2. Mob MR.
3. Your charisma (unconfirmed).
I believe Charisma only works for Enchanter charming. Necro/Druid Charm is not affected by Charisma.