Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-02-2021, 01:02 PM
Kobold

Default Client freezes and goes into red power usage within 2 minutes of loading a character

16 GB RAM
Nvidia 1650 GTX Super Gaming with updated drivers
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core (3.1 GHz)
Latest Windows 10 patched

Not using WINEQ or any sort of client modification program, just the raw client in administrator mode and 1600x900 in windowed mode stretched using Borderless Gaming. I'm not using compatibility mode because I know for a FACT it drops my framerate to 20 FPS which is nauseating

It's nothing that does it in specific. The game will randomly freeze up and the client will go opaque and stop responding forever until I kill the process. It could be that I switched the power plan from AMD's trademarked thingy to Balanced (because I was suspecting it was fucking up my GPU) but I doubt it. I'm almost certain it's not an ingame thing because it does it whether I'm in EC tunnel or in a dead empty zone like Grobb on a weekday morning

It did this yesterday and the day after it, but it would usually do it after an hour or two of play so I ignored it. Today it's choking to death within 1 - 2 minutes of loading a character ingame. When I check it in task manager it says power usage is "very high" which for a game from 1999 I doubt should be normal

Can anyone who knows how the client works please help me? I can't even play the game anymore

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

21 y/o fantasy nerd - Discord: Midoo#2125
Odym Drekk
- 52 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 51 BAR WAR (alt)

Last edited by Midoo; 10-02-2021 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry to hear of your struggles but your avatar is like perfect for this post.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Odym Drekk

Old 10-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Kobold

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My other characters don't do that. The character selection menu doesn't do that either. I just logged on my Halfling Druid who's in SK and my Dwarf Cleric who's in Crushbone and they didn't crash no matter how long I stayed.

There is SOMETHING in East Commonlands that is causing my client to fucking shit itself within seconds of loading the game. That thing possibly also walked in on my guild's platehouse run last night and when I was farming guards in Grobb.

Is there a potential thing like a mesh, texture, sound file or item that would cause the game to hang to death when loading? I would use procmon to check myself but apparently the client won't let you run if you have a resource monitor on so I'm totally helpless.

Odym Drekk

Old 10-02-2021, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Being that its East Commons, did you try and shrink a chat window really small to minimize it such as an auction window? If any window is too small for text it will crash the client.

If this might be the case, you can rename/delete your chars UI setting file to reset them to default

On Green its UI_CharName_P1999Green.ini

On Blue its UI_CharName_project1999.ini
Old 10-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being that its East Commons, did you try and shrink a chat window really small to minimize it such as an auction window? If any window is too small for text it will crash the client.

If this might be the case, you can rename/delete your chars UI setting file to reset them to default

On Green its UI_CharName_P1999Green.ini

On Blue its UI_CharName_project1999.ini
That fucking fixed it. Can't believe I was this retarded. Thank you a million million million times.

Odym Drekk

Old 10-05-2021, 11:56 PM
Skeleton

had the same issue, dunno what caused it but the charname ini file removal fixed it. Thanks you computer wizard!
Old 10-06-2021, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That fucking fixed it. Can't believe I was this retarded. Thank you a million million million times.
It's cool you weren't retarded. This 600-year old client continues to provide unexpected tribulations to everyone involved.