Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 01:19 PM
Banned

I feel like there were never any good MMOs

it's a dying genre that struggles to keep itself alive after like a year
Old 10-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Personally I think the next mmo wll have to be something immersivly new.. that's the track record so far.

First muds were new, something you could immerse yourself in to experience a fantasy story.

Then UO added 2D to it, a new way to immerse yourself in the stories.

then EQ added 3D to it... you were finally in the world!

Perhaps a VR game will be the next big MMO?

Or maybe a more realistic world to live in with like AI and machine learning?

WoW was really the only one to appear after a predecessor did the new immersive thing first, and was able to really take hold as the ruling MMO for that generation. I think that's because they took what EQ introduced to the nerd world, and introduced it to the outside world. So in a way it was able to be a "first" without being the first.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there any lore or depth? It looks like a bunch of random areas with random names for the sake of it (like the Fortnite map).

EQ had replayability because there were so many classes, doesn't seem like there's any subtle differences here... tank/healer/ranged dps. Kinda dumbed down. I'd give the pvp a try if I bought it but it looks like Alterac Valley.
As usual most people skip the lore and just have a second monitor up with a Wikipedia or some shit telling them where to go next.

I have had a lot of fun with the lore and exploration, but you actually have to be involved and read/listen to the clues etc that the game is giving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I think the next mmo wll have to be something immersivly new..
To be immersed requires actually getting into it, reading.. caring.. imagination. All games have qualities that allow immersion, today people aren't invested in games like that anymore, they are usually half into some political bullshit debate on their fakebook while playing, getting angry.. Games are for children or at least people who can try to be a child for a few minutes while they play some pointless thing with a nice story. It really doesn't matter how good a game is any more because people are not willing to immerse themselves.

This idea that some artist is gonna create some immersive experience is some uncanny valley at this point. The key is literally just imagination. Something gamers use to allow themselves to have, like playing D&D you have to actually pretend and imagine, all gamers in 80s/90s had this quality but most have been spoiled and pampered into cynicism.

VR is very immersive ya. But in a forced way, your brain is tricked into believing you are there. This is a something all people can do with their brains through imagination. People just don't read books anymore, so ya they have lost it.
Last edited by Shawk; 10-18-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Old 10-18-2021, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

kids dont play with 3 1/4" action figures anymore.

that was the old way to get immersed.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
kids dont play with 3 1/4" action figures anymore.

that was the old way to get immersed.
Most gamers, at least the vocal ones aren't humble enough to know that this is all we are doing in video games today. No one is roleplaying in New World, or at least no one I have seen. Really kind of indicative of what being a gamer is today in comparison. Nothing has changed other than gamers..

The new way spits on immersion.. To say VR immerses you but books cannot, this is why people are dumb, no ability to create their own immersion anymore, just reliant on devs to immerse them, which is near impossible irregardless of how pretty the graphics are. Everquest 2 showed off the Uncanny Valley, and that lead to Everquest Next not being able to finish... They lost their principle core values.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

books are dumb
Old 10-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

It is easier to roleplay in text based worlds when people can type words to sound role playish.

It is harder to roleplay when everyone is using voice comms and sounds like a nerd at a desk and is talking about netflix or something.

Too bad its so easy to just have a second rig to use voice chat on. If I made a game it would force disable mics during play but it would be really easy to undermine with a spare cell phone or laptop so would be pointless.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most gamers, at least the vocal ones aren't humble enough to know that this is all we are doing in video games today. No one is roleplaying in New World, or at least no one I have seen. Really kind of indicative of what being a gamer is today in comparison. Nothing has changed other than gamers..

The new way spits on immersion.. To say VR immerses you but books cannot, this is why people are dumb, no ability to create their own immersion anymore, just reliant on devs to immerse them, which is near impossible irregardless of how pretty the graphics are. Everquest 2 showed off the Uncanny Valley, and that lead to Everquest Next not being able to finish... They lost their principle core values.
Gamers today are lazy as F. Pay 2 win has always existed but I feel like it’s never been as prevalent in modern gaming as today, encouraged by these gaming companies

Gamers don’t want to work for anything, they just want to pay $$ for PL, pay $$ for gear, etc, more than ever before

And yea, I agree immersion and especially RP are dead
Old 10-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
books are dumb
a smart book is what, a Kindle connected to the internet?

i am seriously considering the new Nokia 6310.
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/statu...96599949639685

speaking of dumb books, i picked up a classic Jack Vance today.
One look at the 6-legged birdhorse thing that guy is riding was
all it took.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-18-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Old 10-18-2021, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Closed Thread