Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Large Rat

Default Character suddenly started walking slowly (Account Issue, NOT a PC issue)

So, I started playing p99 with my 10 year old son and we were having alot of fun. But he is a spaz and clicks random keys on the keyboard because... he's 10.

Anyway, before you say that this is a PC, CPU Affinity, BIOS, Power Management setting issue, etc, please don't. Like a dummy, I spent 2 hours digging through the B-hole of the internet looking at those fixes and then it dawned on me to try it on my PC to see if the problem followed me to my PC. Lo and behold, it did.

I wish that this was something as simple as him pushing the F key or whatever key makes you Walk/Run in the game. We have went to the Actions page and physically clicked that button multiple times and it makes no difference. He has the running animation, but it is just like he is snared at all times. Again, he was running at full speed early this afternoon and then this issue popped up and hasn't gone away after reboots, BIOS updates, Windows updates (Both urgent and optional ones), nothing.

Please. I am praying that someone has had some type of similar issue and can tell me it was some stupid button that he pushed that I haven't thought of.

Help a father play with his son again. He loves this game as much as I do.

Thanks ahead of time.

Bighat Logan (25 Enchanter, Me)
Beareater (17 Druid, My son)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Planar Protector

Walk on while he has sow on, will have run animation while walk speed
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Walk on while he has sow on, will have run animation while walk speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish that this was something as simple as him pushing the F key or whatever key makes you Walk/Run in the game. We have went to the Actions page and physically clicked that button multiple times and it makes no difference.
Other things that can slow you down even if you are running include:
  • being encumbered (could he have accidentally converted a ton of plat to copper or something?)
  • crouching (although I would expect that rebooting would fix this; you can check if this is the case by mousewheel scrolling out or using SHIFT + T)
  • snare and similar effects (but of course you'd have a buff icon if this was the case)

It also could be graphics (your driver's or EQ's), as your son could easily have triggered some special video mode or upped your particle settings or whatever ... but then everything would be slow, not just your character.

The thing is, people already try to do what your son did, on purpose, so that if a dragon fears them they don't run as far. As a result, if there is any "one weird trick" to slow your character down, the raiding community will know about it. I certainly don't know every radi trick, so if I missed anything hopefully someone else will chime in.

Oh, and for future reference, I would recommend going in to the Keys tab of the options window (ALT + O or CTRL + O, I forget which). You can click on a keycode and then hit escape to remove it. Personally I did that to all of my "show/hide a window" key combos, and you may want to go further to prevent your son from doing unexpected things.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-24-2019 at 09:25 PM..
Old 06-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Large Rat

That is a damn good idea about the show/hide buttons. Thanks man. I’ll try the other ideas now.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 PM
Large Rat

Son of a monkey! After spending hours looking everywhere the little bugger got loot hungry and was encumbered 132/68!!! Just because you teach him about weight management, always check the details... Thanks so much Loramin for covering the basics. I will set a Gina trigger to scream at him the next time he becomes encumbered. Serves me right for trying to charm fight while I have a boy peppering me with questions.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Son of a monkey! After spending hours looking everywhere the little bugger got loot hungry and was encumbered 132/68!!! Just because you teach him about weight management, always check the details... Thanks so much Loramin for covering the basics. I will set a Gina trigger to scream at him the next time he becomes encumbered. Serves me right for trying to charm fight while I have a boy peppering me with questions.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Glad it worked out.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.