Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Which VPN service are people using to get around this? Trying to decide which one to use.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltedghost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which VPN service are people using to get around this? Trying to decide which one to use.
I bought Surfshark, $45 for 2 years.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 PM
Orc

Looking through these 6 pages, I don't see any mention of trying alternative DNS servers (Google DNS or OpenDNS for instance). A lot of times unless changed your router or computer will default to your ISP's DNS servers and that could be the cause in your issues.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbelyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looking through these 6 pages, I don't see any mention of trying alternative DNS servers (Google DNS or OpenDNS for instance). A lot of times unless changed your router or computer will default to your ISP's DNS servers and that could be the cause in your issues.
I use google dns, same issue
Old 02-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

So, i tried logging on regular last night - this is my laptop hitting my home wifi.

Login get held up.

I hotspotted my cell phone. Logged my laptop into my cellphone hotspot. No issues logging in and zoning was as quick as it was prior to last week.

So I can say, at least for me on Spectrum in the Carolinas, the hotspot via cell phone worked for me.

Question for all you folks a lot smarter than me - If my cell phone is connected to my house wifi, and I hotspot my cell phone and connect my laptop via that, am I using my cell phone data for my eq connection or is it just coming off of my house wifi?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Sarnak

Interesting question that I am not sure the answer, but I will tell you this, the amount of data that a 20 year old game such as EverQuest uses is nothing compared to just about anything you would be using data on today. I used to phone data hotspot and connect to Project 1999 and play for months at a time, never did it once notice it affect my 4g data "bucket".

The problem arises when you run out of 4g from your other normal use and then you try to play on 3g speed. Well, if you want a more classic experience connection-wise, there it is right there!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Thanks Kae.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:42 PM
Orc

Tonight, Tues Feb 11, i've had no issues so far with spell lag or zone crashing. Maybe Spectrum getting the outage worked out.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Skeleton

I will get on and try it tonight without VPN and see if it works. Thanks Tyg
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Orc

Good god, now back to spell lag/tell lag on the 12th. Oh well, just have to keep checking.