Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 PM
Planar Protector

Weird thread seems like this guy is just asking for luclin to come out?

Only thing from luclin that should make it is the slot machines to suck plat out of system.

If you're sick of the pixel rot, play on red server. Its classic as fuck compared.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would you really want them balanced? I like the differences, all have pros and cons. Personally I can't stand Iksar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And it sounds like you have never played P99 if you think the racial traits and legacy items give people any sort of meaningful advantage (they dont).
Eh bit debatable here. Iksar necromancers do have a blatant advantage over other the other necro races, to the point where it kind of ruins the class for me because I feel like I would have to be an iksar. As cool as I think dark elf necromancers are, and I do know that one can succeed just fine as a dark elf or a human if they wanted, it's hard to ignore the advantage an iksar has, even moreso when you've got folks telling you all the time "why aren't you iksar?" or "quick go reroll iksar!". Yes that has happened to me before.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh bit debatable here. Iksar necromancers do have a blatant advantage over other the other necro races, to the point where it kind of ruins the class for me because I feel like I would have to be an iksar. As cool as I think dark elf necromancers are, and I do know that one can succeed just fine as a dark elf or a human if they wanted, it's hard to ignore the advantage an iksar has, even moreso when you've got folks telling you all the time "why aren't you iksar?" or "quick go reroll iksar!". Yes that has happened to me before.
I have to agree with this. The variety of classic EQ makes it awesome, not the unbalanced parts. True, having variety often leads to imbalance, but it's one thing to say "class X can do five things well, and class Y can only do two", and another to say "race X is just 100% superior in every way to race Y" (which wasn't a gameplay design choice, it was a "let's make more money" choice: it happened because Verant wanted everyone to buy the Kunark expansion, so they made the race you got in it better).

Iksar aren't exactly 100% superior (they do have poor faction and an XP penalty), but as tadkins said it's almost wrong to not pick them for your Necro, and I think that makes the game worse, not better. However, I'm still holding out hope that the P99 devs will someday introduce some really awesome non-Iksar Necro items (maybe even one with regen!) in custom content on Blue.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

Iksars are ugly as shit and look stupid as hell in robes. This would provide balance, but its mitigated somewhat by necros being illusioned so often.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Banned

Time locked servers are great for filthy casuals like me. I’ll play a lot one week then sometimes go 1-2 weeks without logging in. This sort of schedule would leave me far behind if it were a live or progression server. I would never be able to catch up, and always be doing content alone far behind everyone else

But with time locked servers I can come back whenever I want and not be any more behind than I was. Progress made is always permanent progress
Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Vanilla is best.

Kunark and Velious are pretty great.

Monks only being able to be humans was the best. Worst race, good style. It was great.

Iksar regen monks are like a hack.

Iksar regen necro is cool but not game changing. Something about physical enhancement like regen on a purely physical class like monk just feels bummer.

But the ogre already existed and for SK, warrior, shaman they are hands down better than others.

Thats just how this game is, and I like it.

Warrior - Ogre
SK - Ogre
Shaman - Ogre
Rogue - Barb
Monk - Iksar
Necro - Iksar

out of 14 classes, 6 of them have 1 race that is definitely superior.

You could argue for halfling for druids, and high elf for clerics and enchanter, but the differences for those races are super minor, where the 6 above are meaningful advantages.

But thats how the game is whether iksars are here or not, we would still have 4 superior race choice classes.

But do you want to be an OGRE? Do you want to be KOS everywhere in old world? Do you want to be a barbarian rogue?

Only matters in PVP where only barb rogues get throwing boulders. Plunk!
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
custom content
Would love to see some of this sometime down the road as well. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could argue for halfling for druids, and high elf for clerics and enchanter, but the differences for those races are super minor, where the 6 above are meaningful advantages.
That's partly why I mained a wizard for a while, and am maining a druid now. I feel like I can actually pick the race I want to be with those classes since there isn't much of an advantage even with the "BiS" one.

Incidently my druid is a halfling but not for any of those reasons. I genuinely like them. I identify far more with a jolly chubby little man over some skinny snobbish elf. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But do you want to be an OGRE? Do you want to be KOS everywhere in old world?
Do you also want to look like a walking talking sack of mashed potatoes?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Do you also want to look like a walking talking sack of mashed potatoes?

You're saying it like mashed potatoes isn't beautiful.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Iksar regen necro is cool but not game changing. Something about physical enhancement like regen on a purely physical class like monk just feels bummer.
Have you played a non-iksar necro at 55+? Its awful compared to the lizard variety unless you have full gear like zheart and VP staff.

I'd also argue that anything other than ogre shaman is entirely overrated (especially warrior). Being big sucks balls, stats are easily capped in velious, and FSI isn't a big deal for tanks. I wish my warrior was gnome or halfling so bad.

That being said... if the purpose / goal for your shaman is to solo big end game targets...then ogre truly is the only choice. That is not debatable.

Ultimately, fashionquest rises above everything else. Play what is aesthetically pleasing to you otherwise you're just setting yourself up for shelving the character for something else.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said... if the purpose / goal for your shaman is to solo big end game targets...then ogre truly is the only choice. That is not debatable.
I call bullshit. The majority of the absolute best Shaman ever on P99, the ones who soloed stuff no one had ever soloed before, were all non-Ogres.

Now on paper, once you finally get to 60 and fix all your faction, is Ogre the best min/max race? Yes, we can agree on that.

But in the grand scheme of things FSI is a nothingburger: if you're min/maxing it's absolutely better in tough fights than regen, but it's no way at all necessary to solo big end game targets.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread