Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 10-18-2022, 01:12 PM
Banned

The Middle Class was allowed to exist as a way to deter people away from Soviet Communism.

As soon as the Soviets fell, no more need for the American Dream™
Old 10-18-2022, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Why is the middle class cool?

They just are.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is the middle class cool?
Societies with a strong middle class have lower crime rates, they enjoy higher levels of trust and life satisfaction, as well as greater political stability and good governance.

https://www.oecd.org/els/soc/OECD-mi...n-findings.pdf
Old 10-18-2022, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

What are we even doing if we're not trying to keep people out of poverty or stop people from owning slaves?

Battle royale?
Old 10-18-2022, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Societies with a strong middle class have lower crime rates, they enjoy higher levels of trust and life satisfaction, as well as greater political stability and good governance.

https://www.oecd.org/els/soc/OECD-mi...n-findings.pdf
Corvettes are cool because of their ties to American motorsports. It is "America's sportscar" (but not Supercar). Harley Earl was the lead designer and he was inspired by European sporting cars of the time, he wanted to create an American version to compete and win races. The name comes from fast-attack ships.

Sports cars and Muscle Cars were nearly killed off during the emissions-era (aka the malaise era), the Corvette was sold one year with only 185hp from the factory. But they kept it going, even during the difficult years.

Focus on European design was always there, mid-engine designs popped up before I was born but never materialized. It was during the 2000's when Horsepower began coming back that the switch to it was pressed. Due to limitations in the front engine/rear wheel drive design, possibly due to Nurburgring (Germany) becoming the center for what sports cars should be.

The criticisms I have read online mostly from overseas tend to focus on the interior of the cars being cheap and not up to par with its peers from Europe. I think this is because Europeans fail to understand that the Corvette was made to compete on race tracks with their vehicles but not to win pamper-awards. So the Corvette is one of the quickest cars for the cheapest dollars put in, which Euros don't care about since Ferrari is better. It goes over peoples heads.

Edit: Modern American motorsports came out of the Great Depression. We have a priority of cost v. performance. Luxury interiors are not usually on the list as our original racing cars were stripped down for weight savings. The return of Muscle/Performance from the factory began again with the Dodge Viper in the early 90's, all the money was in the drivetrain. The interior was the cheapest stuff possible and the car was dangerous. The seatbelts were attacked to the doors and the roll-bar was not crash rated. There was a warning to drive responsibly.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-18-2022 at 02:08 PM..
Old 10-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah well capitalism proved that if you flood the market with disposable economy cars everyone will pay as much as they did for a corvette for one.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corvettes are cool because of their ties to American motorsports. It is "America's sportscar" (but not Supercar). Harley Earl was the lead designer and he was inspired by European sporting cars of the time, he wanted to create an American version to compete and win races. The name comes from fast-attack ships.

Sports cars and Muscle Cars were nearly killed off during the emissions-era (aka the malaise era), the Corvette was sold one year with only 185hp from the factory. But they kept it going, even during the difficult years.

Focus on European design was always there, mid-engine designs popped up before I was born but never materialized. It was during the 2000's when Horsepower began coming back that the switch to it was pressed. Due to limitations in the front engine/rear wheel drive design, possibly due to Nurburgring (Germany) becoming the center for what sports cars should be.

The criticisms I have read online mostly from overseas tend to focus on the interior of the cars being cheap and not up to par with its peers from Europe. I think this is because Europeans fail to understand that the Corvette was made to compete on race tracks with their vehicles but not to win pamper-awards. So the Corvette is one of the quickest cars for the cheapest dollars put in, which Euros don't care about since Ferrari is better. It goes over peoples heads.
Lemon Pound Cake is soft and moist with a golden exterior and a tangy lemon glaze...an easy, scrumptious dessert recipe for Easter, spring, or summer!

Lemon Pound Cake recipe with text overlay.
If you enjoy lemon treats, you'll also love Lemon Texas Sheet Cake, topping everything with Lemon Whipped Cream, or having these Lemon Sugar Baked Donuts for breakfast!

The time has arrived for all things lemon! I don't know what it is about springtime and the approach of Easter, but this time of year always gives me a hankering for lemon recipes of any kind...and particularly desserts. And year after year, that means I make this delectable, homemade Lemon Pound Cake!

It's hard to beat a good pound cake, but sometimes it's not so simple to create a good pound cake. Luckily, today's recipe is beyond good...it's downright delicious. Annnnd it's easy to make, to boot!

Recipe for Lemon Pound Cake slice on plate.

INGREDIENTS
To create this easy Lemon Pound Cake recipe, I took a classic sour cream pound cake recipe made in a bundt pan -- the kind you'd likely find in your grandmother's recipe files or old church cookbooks -- and gave it a lusciously lemon twist.

That means that this here pound cake is from-scratch and 100% homemade! No cake mix or pudding mix in the mix -- heh.

Aerial view of labeled ingredients for Lemon Pound Cake recipe.
Flour. This recipe was tested using unbleached all-purpose flour. I have not tried it with cake flour, which may change its traditional bundt cake density.
Baking soda. Make sure it's fresh!
Salt. I prefer using fine sea salt.
Fresh lemons. Necessary for both the juice and the zest, in both the cake and the glaze.
Unsalted butter. At room temperature.
Sugar. Granulated.
Eggs. At room temperature.
Sour cream. Again, at room temperature...are we noticing a trend here? 😉 Sour cream adds richness and moisture to pound cake. I always use it when making this recipe, because I don't want to mess with a good thing. However, if you wish to substitute yogurt, I recommend using full-fat plain Greek yogurt for the most comparable texture/results.
Lemon extract. For even more lemony flavor!
Powdered sugar. To be mixed with lemon juice for the glaze.

Close-up of glaze on Lemon Pound Cake recipe.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POUND CAKE
Let's break it down, shall we?

MAKE THE CAKE
Preheat the oven to 325°F and generously grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and the lemon zest.
In another bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. Increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs individually, mixing well after each addition.
Whisking dry ingredients and lemon zest.
Beating butter into sugar.
Blending eggs into batter.
With the mixer set to low speed, alternately add half of the flour mixture, half of the sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix until all of the ingredients are just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Pouring dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
Blending in dry ingredients.
Blending sour cream into Lemon Pound Cake batter.
Adding lemon juice and lemon extract to bowl.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and firmly tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles.
Lemon Pound Cake batter ready for pan.
Pour batter into bundt pan.
Smoothing out batter with a spatula.
Aerial view of pan ready for oven.
Pop the pan in the oven and bake until the cakes tests done.
After 15 minutes, turn out your Lemon Pound Cake onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
Lemon Pound Cake from scratch just out of oven.
MAKE THE GLAZE
For the finale, a puckery-sweet glaze puts everything over the lemon-lovin’ top. It's as simple as stirring even more fresh lemon juice into powdered sugar. Then simply pour the lemon glaze over the top of the cooled pound cake.
Making lemon glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Lemon glaze ready for lemon cake.
Pouring lemon glaze over Lemon Pound Cake.
Close-up of the best Lemon Pound Cake with glaze on cake stand.
LEMON SIMPLE SYRUP OPTION
This traditional Lemon Pound Cake gets its soft, dense texture and moist crumb from the combo of butter, sour cream, and half a dozen (yep — a whole six of 'em) eggs. I decided to slightly decrease the sugar from the original recipe. My cake still turned out nice and sweet with a decidedly crisp, golden crust.

So made as directed, this cake is already pretty moist and lemony. But if you want it to be over-the-top moist and lemony, you can make a half-batch of Lemon Simple Syrup from this recipe (feel free to leave out the sliced lemons).

Poke holes all over the cooled pound cake and brush on the syrup.
Allow it to soak in before brushing on any remaining syrup.
Then glaze as usual.
Again, this cake turns out amazing even without a simple syrup soak. But if you'd like to add the extra step, go for it!

Homemade Lemon Pound Cake on cake stand with fresh lemons on table.
BUNDT CAKE PAN SIZE
You'll want to use a bundt pan with a 12-cup capacity.

The measurements for a pan of this capacity are typically 10- by 3-inches, but this can vary based on the "design" of the pan. So to be absolutely sure, you can measure cups of water into the pan to determine if 12 cups fit.

If you're still worried about overflow, place a baking sheet under the pan while your cake bakes. As someone who is admittedly paranoid and doesn't like cleaning my oven, I always do.

CONVERTING TO LOAF PANS
PAN SIZE
Bundt cake recipes typically bake beautifully in loaf pans, but you just need to ensure that the size of your loaf pans will hold all of the bundt cake batter.

To make it simple, a 12-cup capacity bundt pan can be evenly divided between TWO 8.5- by 4.5-inch loaf pans, which have a capacity of 6 cups each.

If your loaf pans are smaller than that, you will have extra batter that can be baked in a few muffin cups.

If your loaf pans are larger than that, just be aware that your loaves won't rise up as high in the pans.

Either way, I recommend putting a sheet pan under your loaf pans to catch any potential spills as a result of your pan conversion experimentation. 😉

BAKING TIME
Along the same lines, the baking time will be reduced if you convert this Lemon Pound Cake recipe to loaf pans, but I can't say by *exactly* how much since the size of loaf pans can vary.

My best advice is to stay near the oven while your lemon loaves bake and keep an eye on them. The "cross section" of cake in a loaf pan won't be much thinner than the cross section from a bundt pan. In other words, even though you're dividing the batter between two pans, the baking time WILL NOT be cut in half.

I recommend testing your lemon loaves for doneness about 20 minutes earlier than the recommended baking time for the Lemon Pound Cake recipe. But in the end, you will likely find that two loaves only take about 10-15 minutes less than the baking time for a typical bundt cake.

Aerial view of easy Lemon Pound Cake on platter and plate.
And that’s it!

This BEST Lemon Pound Cake is the perfect antidote for any springtime lemon cravings.

My family goes crazy over it every time. I mean, my lemon-fanatic middle son obviously loves it. But everyone who tries it positively scarfs it down…the whole cake never lasts long at all.

HELPFUL TIPS, TRICKS, AND EQUIPMENT
Some people swear by a no-stick baking spray that contains flour, but I think the safest way to ensure that your pound cake will release from the pan is to very generously grease and flour the pan.
For the best results, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, which helps ensure a light, airy, fluffy texture. Room temp ingredients will also whip together more easily.
Don't overmix after adding the dry ingredients or your cake may turn out dense.
The lemon juice is added towards the end of the recipe, along with the flour and sour cream. This prevents the batter from curdling, which could adversely affect the final texture of the cake.
In addition to the glzae, slices of this Lemon Pound Cake are also delicious topped with glossy Blueberry Compote!
Zoom slice of Lemon Pound Cake.
So how about you?

Are you a fan of a simple, classic pound cake?

Do you adore lemon desserts, but relegate them to the spring and summer months? Or are you the type to choose the slab of lemon pound cake out of the Starbucks bakery case even in December?

Finally, do you adore an icing that makes your mouth pucker?

If you answered "yes" to any or all of the above questions, this scrumptious, easy Lemon Pound Cake recipe is a must-make! I hope you get to try it soon. 🙂

Recipe for Lemon Pound Cake on wire rack with lemons.
MORE LEMON TREATS
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Lemon Fruit Dip
The BEST Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Blueberry Overnight Baked French Toast with Lemon Syrup
LEMON POUND CAKE
Lemon Pound Cake is soft and moist with a golden exterior and a tangy lemon glaze...an easy, scrumptious dessert recipe for Easter, spring, or summer!
Print Pin Rate
Course: DessertCuisine: American Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Servings: 16 servings Calories: 395kcal Author: Samantha Skaggs
INGREDIENTS
▢3 cups all-purpose flour
▢½ teaspoon baking soda
▢½ teaspoon salt
▢2 tablespoons lemon zest
▢1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
▢2 ½ cups sugar
▢6 large eggs, at room temperature
▢1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
▢2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
▢1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
For the glaze:
▢1 ½ cups powdered sugar
▢2-3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice

Cook Mode
Prevent your screen from going dark
INSTRUCTIONS
Arrange a rack in the center position of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Generously grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
With the mixer set to low speed, alternately add half of the flour mixture, half of the sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix until all ingredients are just combined, taking care not to overmix.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and firmly tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (up to 1 hour hour and 30 minutes) until a few moist crumbs stick to a toothpick inserted in the center. Cool cake in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire to finish cooling completely.
For the glaze, measure the powdered sugar into a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice with a spoon until completely smooth. Add a bit more lemon juice if the glaze is too thick. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and allow to harden and set. If desired, garnish with additional lemon zest.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED

12-cup Non-stick Bundt Pan
Video
Notes
For the best results, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, which helps ensure a light, airy, fluffy texture. Room temp ingredients will also whip together more easily.
The lemon juice is added towards the end of the recipe, along with the flour and sour cream. This prevents the batter from curdling, which could adversely affect the final texture of the cake.
The first time you make this cake, you may want to test it at an hour just in case your oven runs on the hotter side.
For a Lemon Pound Cake that's extra moist and lemony, you may brush the cake with a lemon simple syrup while it's still warm, and then glaze once it's completely cool.
To make (optional) lemon simple syrup: Combine ¼ cup water + ¼ cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally, to dissolve the sugar, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 491IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg
Made this recipe? I'd love to see on IG!
Mention @FiveHeartHome or tag #FiveHeartHome!
Adapted from Taste of Home.
Post originally published on March 19, 2018, and updated on March 24, 2019, and March 31, 2022.

« Easy Steak Frites
German Potato Salad »
FREE BONUS!
GET MY "SECRETS TO WEEKNIGHT DINNER SUCCESS"...AND MORE!
Join thousands of others and receive
my best recipes and tips via e-mail!

First Name
E-Mail Address
READER INTERACTIONS***All comments are moderated and must be approved by the site owner before they will display. Questions, positive reviews, and constructive criticism are welcomed. Condescending, ugly, or rude comments will be ignored and deleted. Please treat others the way you wish to be treated...even from behind a keyboard.***
COMMENTS
MelissaJune 02, 2022 at 8:04 pm
5 stars
Absolutely delicious!!! Perfect amount of lemon tartness. I will certainly make this recipe again.

CassieJune 29, 2022 at 5:41 pm
The picture of the ingredients shows lemon extract. The written recipe says lemon extract. But in the ingredients portion of the text it lists vanilla extract. Which is correct?

Samantha SkaggsJune 29, 2022 at 6:12 pm
So sorry about that, Cassie...lemon extract is correct in both the photo and the recipe card. I just corrected that line of text in the body of the post. Thanks for pointing out my error! 🙂

CatApril 17, 2022 at 5:38 pm
5 stars
Great flavor - light, moist. Perfect Easter dessert.
Don't skip the simple syrup.

AApril 05, 2022 at 3:06 pm
5 stars
Delicious! I love that it's in bundt form versus the traditional loaf pans that pound cake is usually in. This really is the perfect easy spring dessert!

KatApril 02, 2022 at 12:18 pm
5 stars
This Lemon Pound Cake was easy to make and tasted amazing! Everyone loved it!

Sheila McGheeJanuary 06, 2022 at 5:21 pm
5 stars
This is one of the best lemon pound cakes I think I have tried! Easy and simply delicious

JessicaSeptember 08, 2022 at 10:31 pm
5 stars
best lemon cake I've had in years even my husband who doesn't like lemon was impressed!

E. M. L.September 25, 2021 at 10:31 pm
5 stars
I’ve made this cake about 5 times now & it’s so perfect every time. I follow the recipe to the t[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you!

VictoriaMay 19, 2022 at 9:49 am
I DID IT!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY My First Time Making A Homemade Cake... And This Recipe Was Perfect 💝 Easy To Make and Everyone Loves, It Had Them Sneaking Downstairs In The Middle Of The Night To Get More🤗 Thank You For A Masterpiece 🌻

April VidorSeptember 14, 2021 at 3:03 pm
5 stars
Delish! My mother-in-law asked for the recipe!

« Older Comments
LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating
Recipe Rating
Comment *
Name *

Email *

PRIMARY SIDEBAR
HI, I'M SAMANTHA!
New Avatar RoundI'm a busy mama of 3, a cookbook author, and a full-time food blogger. I love creating quick and easy, family-friendly, real food recipes to share with y'all and make your lives easier. Yummy, wholesome meals don't have to be difficult or require a lot of time...let me teach you my tips and tricks! (click for more)

EASY BACK-TO-SCHOOL DINNERS!
Aerial view of Black Eyed Peas New Years recipe.
The BEST Black-Eyed Peas for New Year's
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham sliced on a platter.
The BEST Crockpot Ham
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno on plate.
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno
Dipping a Slow Cooker French Dip sandwich into au jus.
Slow Cooker French Dip
Beef Pot Pie with missing scoop.
Beef Pot Pie
Tamale Pie recipe served on a plate with avocado tomato salad on the side.
Tamale Pie
MORE DINNER IDEAS

MOST POPULAR RECIPES
Close-up of German Potato Salad in dish.
German Potato Salad
Closeup of the Best Sloppy Joe recipe, piled on a bun on a plate with sides.
The VERY BEST Sloppy Joe Recipe
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing ~ tangy, easy to make, and delicious drizzled over a Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, onions, and Feta! | FiveHeartHome.com
Greek Salad Dressing
The BEST Crockpot Ham
Bottle of Homemade Ranch Dressing.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Easy Spanish Rice ~ cook a pot of rice using chicken broth, tomato sauce, and a few seasonings to make this quick and easy Spanish Rice...it's the perfect base for rice bowls or a delicious side dish to your favorite Mexican entrees! | FiveHeartHome.com
Easy Spanish Rice
Classic Cream Cheese Frosting ~ silky and sweet with a slight tang from the cream cheese, this effortless frosting comes together with just four ingredients and complements a variety of cakes and cupcakes | FiveHeartHome.com
Cream Cheese Frosting
Banana Breakfast Cookies ~ a wholesome, yummy breakfast on-the-go that's naturally sweetened, gluten-free, and perfect for using up ripe bananas! | FiveHeartHome.com
Banana Breakfast Cookies
Snickerdoodle Mug Cake ~ bakes up in the microwave in just one minute, yielding a warm, cinnamon-sugary treat that will satisfy any sweet tooth! | FiveHeartHome.com
Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

One-Pot Spaghetti
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Rounds Recipe ~ an easy and delicious summer side dish requiring just two ingredients: yellow squash and grated Parmesan! | FiveHeartHome.com
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Recipe
"Better than Olive Garden" Homemade Italian Dressing ~ this all-natural, zesty salad dressing is economical, easy to make, delicious on salads, and makes an excellent marinade! | FiveHeartHome.com
Homemade Italian Dressing
80 CROCKPOT DINNER RECIPES ~ NO PROCESSED INGREDIENTS!
Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers cookbook cover.

QVC APPEARANCE
Samantha on QVC with David Venable to sell cookbook.

FOOTER
Home
About
Recipes
Work With Us
Privacy Policy
FOLLOW FIVE HEART HOME
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
Text box that reads: "As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchase from Amazon.com at no additional cost to you."
FREE BONUS!

First Name

E-Mail Address

COPYRIGHT © 2022 · FIVE HEART HOME
Old 10-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Lemon Pound Cake recipe with text overlay.
If you enjoy lemon treats, you'll also love Lemon Texas Sheet Cake, topping everything with Lemon Whipped Cream, or having these Lemon Sugar Baked Donuts for breakfast!

The time has arrived for all things lemon! I don't know what it is about springtime and the approach of Easter, but this time of year always gives me a hankering for lemon recipes of any kind...and particularly desserts. And year after year, that means I make this delectable, homemade Lemon Pound Cake!

It's hard to beat a good pound cake, but sometimes it's not so simple to create a good pound cake. Luckily, today's recipe is beyond good...it's downright delicious. Annnnd it's easy to make, to boot!

Recipe for Lemon Pound Cake slice on plate.

INGREDIENTS
To create this easy Lemon Pound Cake recipe, I took a classic sour cream pound cake recipe made in a bundt pan -- the kind you'd likely find in your grandmother's recipe files or old church cookbooks -- and gave it a lusciously lemon twist.

That means that this here pound cake is from-scratch and 100% homemade! No cake mix or pudding mix in the mix -- heh.

Aerial view of labeled ingredients for Lemon Pound Cake recipe.
Flour. This recipe was tested using unbleached all-purpose flour. I have not tried it with cake flour, which may change its traditional bundt cake density.
Baking soda. Make sure it's fresh!
Salt. I prefer using fine sea salt.
Fresh lemons. Necessary for both the juice and the zest, in both the cake and the glaze.
Unsalted butter. At room temperature.
Sugar. Granulated.
Eggs. At room temperature.
Sour cream. Again, at room temperature...are we noticing a trend here? 😉 Sour cream adds richness and moisture to pound cake. I always use it when making this recipe, because I don't want to mess with a good thing. However, if you wish to substitute yogurt, I recommend using full-fat plain Greek yogurt for the most comparable texture/results.
Lemon extract. For even more lemony flavor!
Powdered sugar. To be mixed with lemon juice for the glaze.

Close-up of glaze on Lemon Pound Cake recipe.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POUND CAKE
Let's break it down, shall we?

MAKE THE CAKE
Preheat the oven to 325°F and generously grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and the lemon zest.
In another bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. Increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs individually, mixing well after each addition.
Whisking dry ingredients and lemon zest.
Beating butter into sugar.
Blending eggs into batter.
With the mixer set to low speed, alternately add half of the flour mixture, half of the sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix until all of the ingredients are just combined, taking care not to over-mix.
Pouring dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
Blending in dry ingredients.
Blending sour cream into Lemon Pound Cake batter.
Adding lemon juice and lemon extract to bowl.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and firmly tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles.
Lemon Pound Cake batter ready for pan.
Pour batter into bundt pan.
Smoothing out batter with a spatula.
Aerial view of pan ready for oven.
Pop the pan in the oven and bake until the cakes tests done.
After 15 minutes, turn out your Lemon Pound Cake onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
Lemon Pound Cake from scratch just out of oven.
MAKE THE GLAZE
For the finale, a puckery-sweet glaze puts everything over the lemon-lovin’ top. It's as simple as stirring even more fresh lemon juice into powdered sugar. Then simply pour the lemon glaze over the top of the cooled pound cake.
Making lemon glaze by combining powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Lemon glaze ready for lemon cake.
Pouring lemon glaze over Lemon Pound Cake.
Close-up of the best Lemon Pound Cake with glaze on cake stand.
LEMON SIMPLE SYRUP OPTION
This traditional Lemon Pound Cake gets its soft, dense texture and moist crumb from the combo of butter, sour cream, and half a dozen (yep — a whole six of 'em) eggs. I decided to slightly decrease the sugar from the original recipe. My cake still turned out nice and sweet with a decidedly crisp, golden crust.

So made as directed, this cake is already pretty moist and lemony. But if you want it to be over-the-top moist and lemony, you can make a half-batch of Lemon Simple Syrup from this recipe (feel free to leave out the sliced lemons).

Poke holes all over the cooled pound cake and brush on the syrup.
Allow it to soak in before brushing on any remaining syrup.
Then glaze as usual.
Again, this cake turns out amazing even without a simple syrup soak. But if you'd like to add the extra step, go for it!

BUNDT CAKE PAN SIZE
You'll want to use a bundt pan with a 12-cup capacity.

The measurements for a pan of this capacity are typically 10- by 3-inches, but this can vary based on the "design" of the pan. So to be absolutely sure, you can measure cups of water into the pan to determine if 12 cups fit.

If you're still worried about overflow, place a baking sheet under the pan while your cake bakes. As someone who is admittedly paranoid and doesn't like cleaning my oven, I always do.

CONVERTING TO LOAF PANS
PAN SIZE
Bundt cake recipes typically bake beautifully in loaf pans, but you just need to ensure that the size of your loaf pans will hold all of the bundt cake batter.

To make it simple, a 12-cup capacity bundt pan can be evenly divided between TWO 8.5- by 4.5-inch loaf pans, which have a capacity of 6 cups each.

If your loaf pans are smaller than that, you will have extra batter that can be baked in a few muffin cups.

If your loaf pans are larger than that, just be aware that your loaves won't rise up as high in the pans.

Either way, I recommend putting a sheet pan under your loaf pans to catch any potential spills as a result of your pan conversion experimentation. 😉

BAKING TIME
Along the same lines, the baking time will be reduced if you convert this Lemon Pound Cake recipe to loaf pans, but I can't say by *exactly* how much since the size of loaf pans can vary.

My best advice is to stay near the oven while your lemon loaves bake and keep an eye on them. The "cross section" of cake in a loaf pan won't be much thinner than the cross section from a bundt pan. In other words, even though you're dividing the batter between two pans, the baking time WILL NOT be cut in half.

I recommend testing your lemon loaves for doneness about 20 minutes earlier than the recommended baking time for the Lemon Pound Cake recipe. But in the end, you will likely find that two loaves only take about 10-15 minutes less than the baking time for a typical bundt cake.

Aerial view of easy Lemon Pound Cake on platter and plate.
And that’s it!

This BEST Lemon Pound Cake is the perfect antidote for any springtime lemon cravings.

My family goes crazy over it every time. I mean, my lemon-fanatic middle son obviously loves it. But everyone who tries it positively scarfs it down…the whole cake never lasts long at all.

HELPFUL TIPS, TRICKS, AND EQUIPMENT
Some people swear by a no-stick baking spray that contains flour, but I think the safest way to ensure that your pound cake will release from the pan is to very generously grease and flour the pan.
In addition to the glzae, slices of this Lemon Pound Cake are also delicious topped with glossy Blueberry Compote!
Zoom slice of Lemon Pound Cake.
So how about you?

Are you a fan of a simple, classic pound cake?

Do you adore lemon desserts, but relegate them to the spring and summer months? Or are you the type to choose the slab of lemon pound cake out of the Starbucks bakery case even in December?

Finally, do you adore an icing that makes your mouth pucker?

If you answered "yes" to any or all of the above questions, this scrumptious, easy Lemon Pound Cake recipe is a must-make! I hope you get to try it soon. 🙂

Recipe for Lemon Pound Cake on wire rack with lemons.
MORE LEMON TREATS
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Lemon Fruit Dip
The BEST Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Blueberry Overnight Baked French Toast with Lemon Syrup
LEMON POUND CAKE
Print Pin Rate
Course: DessertCuisine: American Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Servings: 16 servings Calories: 395kcal Author: Samantha Skaggs
INGREDIENTS
▢3 cups all-purpose flour
▢½ teaspoon baking soda
▢½ teaspoon salt
▢2 tablespoons lemon zest
▢1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
▢2 ½ cups sugar
▢6 large eggs, at room temperature
▢1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
▢2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
▢1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
For the glaze:
▢1 ½ cups powdered sugar
▢2-3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice

Cook Mode
Prevent your screen from going dark
INSTRUCTIONS
Arrange a rack in the center position of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Generously grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
With the mixer set to low speed, alternately add half of the flour mixture, half of the sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix until all ingredients are just combined, taking care not to overmix.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top with a spatula, and firmly tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (up to 1 hour hour and 30 minutes) until a few moist crumbs stick to a toothpick inserted in the center. Cool cake in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire to finish cooling completely.
For the glaze, measure the powdered sugar into a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice with a spoon until completely smooth. Add a bit more lemon juice if the glaze is too thick. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and allow to harden and set. If desired, garnish with additional lemon zest.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED

12-cup Non-stick Bundt Pan
Video
Notes
The first time you make this cake, you may want to test it at an hour just in case your oven runs on the hotter side.
For a Lemon Pound Cake that's extra moist and lemony, you may brush the cake with a lemon simple syrup while it's still warm, and then glaze once it's completely cool.
To make (optional) lemon simple syrup: Combine ¼ cup water + ¼ cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally, to dissolve the sugar, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 491IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg
Made this recipe? I'd love to see on IG!
Mention @FiveHeartHome or tag #FiveHeartHome!
Adapted from Taste of Home.
Post originally published on March 19, 2018, and updated on March 24, 2019, and March 31, 2022.

« Easy Steak Frites
German Potato Salad »
FREE BONUS!

First Name
E-Mail Address
READER INTERACTIONS***All comments are moderated and must be approved by the site owner before they will display. Questions, positive reviews, and constructive criticism are welcomed. Condescending, ugly, or rude comments will be ignored and deleted. Please treat others the way you wish to be treated...even from behind a keyboard.***
COMMENTS
MelissaJune 02, 2022 at 8:04 pm
5 stars
Absolutely delicious!!! Perfect amount of lemon tartness. I will certainly make this recipe again.

CassieJune 29, 2022 at 5:41 pm
The picture of the ingredients shows lemon extract. The written recipe says lemon extract. But in the ingredients portion of the text it lists vanilla extract. Which is correct?

Samantha SkaggsJune 29, 2022 at 6:12 pm
So sorry about that, Cassie...lemon extract is correct in both the photo and the recipe card. I just corrected that line of text in the body of the post. Thanks for pointing out my error! 🙂

CatApril 17, 2022 at 5:38 pm
5 stars
Great flavor - light, moist. Perfect Easter dessert.
Don't skip the simple syrup.

AApril 05, 2022 at 3:06 pm
5 stars
Delicious! I love that it's in bundt form versus the traditional loaf pans that pound cake is usually in. This really is the perfect easy spring dessert!

KatApril 02, 2022 at 12:18 pm
5 stars
This Lemon Pound Cake was easy to make and tasted amazing! Everyone loved it!

Sheila McGheeJanuary 06, 2022 at 5:21 pm
5 stars
This is one of the best lemon pound cakes I think I have tried! Easy and simply delicious

JessicaSeptember 08, 2022 at 10:31 pm
5 stars
best lemon cake I've had in years even my husband who doesn't like lemon was impressed!

E. M. L.September 25, 2021 at 10:31 pm
5 stars
I’ve made this cake about 5 times now & it’s so perfect every time. I follow the recipe to the t[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you!

VictoriaMay 19, 2022 at 9:49 am
I DID IT!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY My First Time Making A Homemade Cake... And This Recipe Was Perfect 💝 Easy To Make and Everyone Loves, It Had Them Sneaking Downstairs In The Middle Of The Night To Get More🤗 Thank You For A Masterpiece 🌻

April VidorSeptember 14, 2021 at 3:03 pm
5 stars
Delish! My mother-in-law asked for the recipe!

« Older Comments
LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating
Recipe Rating
Comment *
Name *

Email *

PRIMARY SIDEBAR
HI, I'M SAMANTHA!
New Avatar RoundI'm a busy mama of 3, a cookbook author, and a full-time food blogger. I love creating quick and easy, family-friendly, real food recipes to share with y'all and make your lives easier. Yummy, wholesome meals don't have to be difficult or require a lot of time...let me teach you my tips and tricks! (click for more)

EASY BACK-TO-SCHOOL DINNERS!
Aerial view of Black Eyed Peas New Years recipe.
The BEST Black-Eyed Peas for New Year's
The BEST Crockpot Ham
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno on plate.
Five Cheese Ziti al Forno
Dipping a Slow Cooker French Dip sandwich into au jus.
Slow Cooker French Dip
Beef Pot Pie with missing scoop.
Beef Pot Pie
Tamale Pie recipe served on a plate with avocado tomato salad on the side.
Tamale Pie
MORE DINNER IDEAS

MOST POPULAR RECIPES
Close-up of German Potato Salad in dish.
German Potato Salad
Closeup of the Best Sloppy Joe recipe, piled on a bun on a plate with sides.
The VERY BEST Sloppy Joe Recipe
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing ~ tangy, easy to make, and delicious drizzled over a Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, onions, and Feta! | FiveHeartHome.com
Greek Salad Dressing
The BEST Crockpot Ham
Bottle of Homemade Ranch Dressing.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
Easy Spanish Rice ~ cook a pot of rice using chicken broth, tomato sauce, and a few seasonings to make this quick and easy Spanish Rice...it's the perfect base for rice bowls or a delicious side dish to your favorite Mexican entrees! | FiveHeartHome.com
Easy Spanish Rice
Classic Cream Cheese Frosting ~ silky and sweet with a slight tang from the cream cheese, this effortless frosting comes together with just four ingredients and complements a variety of cakes and cupcakes | FiveHeartHome.com
Cream Cheese Frosting
Banana Breakfast Cookies ~ a wholesome, yummy breakfast on-the-go that's naturally sweetened, gluten-free, and perfect for using up ripe bananas! | FiveHeartHome.com
Banana Breakfast Cookies
Snickerdoodle Mug Cake ~ bakes up in the microwave in just one minute, yielding a warm, cinnamon-sugary treat that will satisfy any sweet tooth! | FiveHeartHome.com
Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

One-Pot Spaghetti
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Rounds Recipe ~ an easy and delicious summer side dish requiring just two ingredients: yellow squash and grated Parmesan! | FiveHeartHome.com
Baked Parmesan Yellow Squash Recipe
"Better than Olive Garden" Homemade Italian Dressing ~ this all-natural, zesty salad dressing is economical, easy to make, delicious on salads, and makes an excellent marinade! | FiveHeartHome.com
Homemade Italian Dressing
80 CROCKPOT DINNER RECIPES ~ NO PROCESSED INGREDIENTS!
Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers cookbook cover.

QVC APPEARANCE
Samantha on QVC with David Venable to sell cookbook.

FOOTER
Home
About
Recipes
Work With Us
Privacy Policy
FOLLOW FIVE HEART HOME
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
Text box that reads: "As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchase from Amazon.com at no additional cost to you."
FREE BONUS!

First Name

E-Mail Address

COPYRIGHT © 2022 · FIVE HEART HOME
I can never tell if the comments on those are real, but I doubt it.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah well capitalism proved that if you flood the market with disposable economy cars everyone will pay as much as they did for a corvette for one.
That must have sucked for the poor kids who paid $5 for old Ford cars to start racing. It was a good thing Mr. Ford stressed quality, he had to sell cheap economy vehicles to farmers.

Same is true with the boys and their Honda cars (which took the place of the small American vehicle). No cheap 340 Dodge Dusters for that generation.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That must have sucked for the poor kids who paid $5 for old Ford cars to start racing. It was a good thing Mr. Ford stressed quality, he had to sell cheap economy vehicles to farmers.

Same is true with the boys and their Honda cars (which took the place of the small American vehicle).
Cant rebuild the car if you give them cash for the clunker!