Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Aviak

Btw, if you use the Soundblast, Adlib, or Midi drivers for old sierra games, they benefit a lot from this soundfont as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Skeleton

Send a message via Yahoo to LeorickEci

So I downloaded the two files, followed the instructions, but I still have the old sounds. I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I hate the new combat music and the muted Kelethin music.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Orc

If I were to buy a new Soundblaster audio card would I get the good sound again? Or would I have to buy an older Soundblaster card? I watched a Youtube video of the correct sound and its way better than what I'm getting now, the kelethin music is awesome. Check it out here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWj-oT75UPg
Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Aviak

Downloaded, installed, followed the directions. the Everquest Theme sounds like it's being thrown through an industrial fan, very chopped and scratchy.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Aviak

I googled soundfont and download a free one from FL Studios. It really does sound better, especially when using headphones or tabletop speakers. Even the combat music is more tolerable. I never figured out how to turn just the combat music alone down without effecting the volume of all the other music, so I end up turning combat music off most of the time. Does anyone know how to do that?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Downloaded, installed, followed the directions. the Everquest Theme sounds like it's being thrown through an industrial fan, very chopped and scratchy.
Yeah, I just experienced the same thing and reverted back to the windows midi sound. With Win10 coming out this week I figured I would wait until after the upgrade to see if they fixed the MIDI issue. If not, I'll dive back in and see if I can figure out why the opening theme song is so choppy and stuttery.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Orc

Default No music at all in Win10

This is the first time I've accessed p99 since building a new Win10 PC, fresh install (purchased copy, not even an upgrade) with all new hardware.

I started up the game after bringing it over from my old HDD, so all has remained the same except for updating to v40 files as needed. The windows midi kicked in and reminded me that I'd forgotten to upgrade using Welgrim's MIDI files, so I did that exactly as I had done on the previous PC.

Now I have no music at all. I don't have a sound card or anything, just using board sound drivers (MSI M5 gaming board) which is more than adequate these days.

Anyone know if the AWE32 ROM dump is even compatible with Win10?

UPDATE: Well now I've completely killed midi functionality on the PC. It seems that after running BASSMIDI and using this soundbank, it has either overwritten or deleted the one it replaced. Uninstalling BASSMIDI did not restore it either...

Does anyone know how to get THAT sound file back?! Cruddy music is better than no music.
Last edited by frammelpie; 11-11-2015 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Orc

Managed to get midi working again by running a system restore. Still would like to use AWE32 in Win10 though.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frammelpie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the first time I've accessed p99 since building a new Win10 PC, fresh install (purchased copy, not even an upgrade) with all new hardware.

I started up the game after bringing it over from my old HDD, so all has remained the same except for updating to v40 files as needed. The windows midi kicked in and reminded me that I'd forgotten to upgrade using Welgrim's MIDI files, so I did that exactly as I had done on the previous PC.

Now I have no music at all. I don't have a sound card or anything, just using board sound drivers (MSI M5 gaming board) which is more than adequate these days.

Anyone know if the AWE32 ROM dump is even compatible with Win10?

UPDATE: Well now I've completely killed midi functionality on the PC. It seems that after running BASSMIDI and using this soundbank, it has either overwritten or deleted the one it replaced. Uninstalling BASSMIDI did not restore it either...

Does anyone know how to get THAT sound file back?! Cruddy music is better than no music.
Bassmidi won't work with anything after Win 7 as far as I know because midi mapper has been removed. I linked to VirtualMidiSynth a couple years ago a few pages back. That will work and still does. I just decided to maybe play a little bit and it works. I'm using a different soundfont though than most others as well. You have to disable "Increase Process Priority to REALTIME" in virtualmidisynth options or it won't work from my experience.
VirtualMidiSynth
Soundfont I use: FluidR3_GM.sfArk
Needed to decompress that font: sfark
Last edited by ir0nfist; 01-11-2016 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Orc

Default That did the trick

Excellent! It's working again, off of the old 1mgm.sf2 file.

Curious though, the sound file you are using now - is that a drastic difference in sound? Is it a better version of the original in some way?