Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Orc

Default Monk Solo Leveling Speed

This is for Blue server...

I know that the min/max Monk race is Iksar. My question is for pure leveling speed while soloing... does the increased regen make up for the 20% XP penalty?

I would be mildly twinked... SCHW, maybe a Jade Mace / Knucklebuster combo. Wu’s Quivering Staff for 2hb, and might be able to afford a Peacebringer later. However, Fungi Tunic is WAY outside my budget... so no worn HP regen.

Any advice is appreciated. Also if anyone has advice for good bang-for-your-buck Monk items that would be great. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Fire Giant

I would save for a fungi, no other twink items come close. It's basically a free level 30 ding, the lower levels are that trivial with it.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

I can't say from experience whether the natural regen makes up for the 20% exp penalty, but I would like to point out that once you're at max level, the 20% exp penalty doesn't matter and you still have the regen (and AC bonus, and Infravision, but can't use certain items, etc.). Secondly, you will probably spend much more time at max level than you did leveling.
Last edited by Videri; 04-04-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would save for a fungi, no other twink items come close. It's basically a free level 30 ding, the lower levels are that trivial with it.
Not even close to being able to afford a Fungi, and don’t have the means to get one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't say from experience whether the natural regen makes up for the 20% exp penalty, but I would like to point out that once you're at max level, the 20% exp penalty doesn't matter and you still have the regen (and AC bonus, and Infravision, but can't use certain items, etc.). Secondly, you will probably spend much more time at max level than you did leveling.
You have a very good point. My problem is that playtime is very limited, which is why my question mainly centered around soloing. Of course I prefer to group, but if I only have 30 minutes to login it’s nice to be able to get some XP.

I highly doubt I’ll reach lvl 60 on this (or any other) character. Sad, but true.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

the regen will not compensate for the exp penalty. its a good question to ask, but it just isn't going to increase your kill rate solo'ing fast enough to make up for the penalty.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is the best way to think about all exp penalties imo. exp penalties are temporary, your skills and bonuses are forever.

i know the OP says he doubts he will ever get to 60...but then whats the big deal? if you are already beginning with the end goal in mind of never ever reaching max level then what difference does it make. play what you think is most fun.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Sarnak

I play iki and human monks. The "seeing in the dark" issue is very Big.
If the regen balances the exp then play what you find most fun.
Being an Iki lets you make lots of lezerd comments.
If you are going to play the human monk please don't play that greasy haired one. ugh. get the eye patch guy.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Zentile...onk_Solo_Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Zentile..._Pulling_Guide

I understand this is for level 59 but a lot of the same tricks and tips apply 20-60

zentile was one of my favorite monks
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Go with what you like the look of the most. All other things can be compensated for.

Regen only really is noticeable in the mid 50's and by then I expect FD regen is more useful than in-combat regen, from a solo perspective that is. Infravision is great as is the AC bonus but I'd kick all those perks to the curb if you want an eyepatch or something.

At level 60 an Iksar objectively has some nice perks over a human. It just wont change what you can or can't do.
Closed Thread