Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Kobold

Oh yeah!

See... the dev's always have a ray of sunshine to share!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Large Bat

I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. Honestly though, I feel there's strong merit to the argument that while the class penalties are in the spirit of classic, the open knowledge of them isn't.

The problem is, you can't start changing things that "should" have been fixed, because as soon as you do, you open the floodgates to QQ from all sides about what was and wasn't tuned or balanced properly. Granted though, the devs can always play the "tough shit" card. It's their project, after all.

Do hybrids get shafted? Yes. Does it suck? Absolutely. I love the Paladin class, but I just can't bear the though of going through the classic 1-50 experience again.

I'm using it as a "make lemonade" sort of excuse to play a class I never had the time to play on Live.

Fanon (Live-Erollisi Marr). HE Paladin. <Whit`s End>
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanon_EMarr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. Honestly though, I feel there's strong merit to the argument that while the class penalties are in the spirit of classic, the open knowledge of them isn't.

The problem is, you can't start changing things that "should" have been fixed, because as soon as you do, you open the floodgates to QQ from all sides about what was and wasn't tuned or balanced properly. Granted though, the devs can always play the "tough shit" card. It's their project, after all.

Do hybrids get shafted? Yes. Does it suck? Absolutely. I love the Paladin class, but I just can't bear the though of going through the classic 1-50 experience again.

I'm using it as a "make lemonade" sort of excuse to play a class I never had the time to play on Live.
I am specifically not playing a ranger right now because of their classic deficiencies. I plan on leveling one to 22 and stopping there until animal fear is introduced...although I might cave and play in Kunark after exp penalties are removed for all the cool stuff they get post 50...

I never played a Paladin or SK much and was never tempted to do so in classic. I liked Paladins in Kunark and Velious because all hybrids became powerhouses during that period, but I can't stand them in classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It will continue to seem this way. You see, most of what made classic Everquest different from non-classic Everquest wasn't just the content, it was the gameplay.

If you take the eq live patch notes for example, they continuously unnerfed or made things easier throughout the years.

With that in mind, think about a client and source that promote easy. That's what we had to start working with. 2006ish backwards.

-remove soulbinders (negatively effect players)
-remove keyring (negatively effect players)
-make invisibility random duration (negatively effect players)
-pets disappear when you invis or zone (negatively effect players)
-magical npcs are immune to non-magical weapons (negatively effect players)

on... and on..

I cannot think of many things that "positively" effect players that you might expect to see in the future.

If there is something in particular you know of, bug report it.

I keep hearing the classic arguement and I agree that it is a valid arguement.

I have yet to read anyone argue this point:

I will try to explain what is going on in my head, but sometimes I have a hard time relaying what I'm thinking into words.

One way of being 'classic' is to stick to a timeline no matter what: this was changed at this time... period. Another way of looking at 'classic' is to consider the reason for changes.

When EQ started, people were clueless about the shared group exp penalty for hybrids/races. This went on well into Kunark. The cat came out of the bag eventually and people started complaining and refusing to group with hybrids so they could level faster - much of what we are seeing on P1999. Someone said it was a bug that they fixed, but I'm not sure about that.

They removed it, thus creating a place in the timeline for the removal. Well, since we know about it now, how about we just move the timeline up to when we know about it? In a sense it is still being 'classic' - feature/bug goes un noticed; gets revealed; get corrected/removed. The only thing different is the timeline stamp, but it still happens in a classic way.

I guess I'm just trying to help the developers come up with a good rationale to change it and still feel they are doing right by being classic. =p
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Kobold

IMO all bugs should be squished from day 1. Stupid design I can deal with.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Skeleton

This exp penalty is largely the cause of the lack of tanks in the game. Warriors are great in raids but boring as hell to play and have a hard time keeping aggro over an SK or Pally tank, but with the penalty these hybrid tanks are in short supply. I say if the penalty was MEANT to be in classic EQ it should stay, so keep the penalty on classes and races for now but drop the group sharing of the penalty. (If it was truly a bug and not intended, it should be removed here too right?) Maybe someone has the actual link to the Verant devs saying it was an accident? Either way, i know i prefer SK tanks regardless of penalty, and I know its not our call or our server and these devs do not answer to us. However the classes i personally enjoy are all hybrids and if there is going to be any change in the penalty it will only come from polite intelligent discussion on the part of the player base.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmygarr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This exp penalty is largely the cause of the lack of tanks in the game. Warriors are great in raids but boring as hell to play and have a hard time keeping aggro over an SK or Pally tank, but with the penalty these hybrid tanks are in short supply. I say if the penalty was MEANT to be in classic EQ it should stay, so keep the penalty on classes and races for now but drop the group sharing of the penalty. (If it was truly a bug and not intended, it should be removed here too right?) Maybe someone has the actual link to the Verant devs saying it was an accident? Either way, i know i prefer SK tanks regardless of penalty, and I know its not our call or our server and these devs do not answer to us. However the classes i personally enjoy are all hybrids and if there is going to be any change in the penalty it will only come from polite intelligent discussion on the part of the player base.
The link has been posted before in these discussions. The argument has been "This is how it was in classic." Except we didn't know all the mechanics of the XP/group XP sharing in classic, so hybrids weren't shunned from groups because of it back then. The difference is now all the min-maxers know what's up. The argument to that has been "I don't see anyone refusing certain classes in groups based on the hybrid XP penalty being shared, so whatever." Since we can't come up with empirical proof otherwise, this is what we get. :P

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizerud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO all bugs should be squished from day 1. Stupid design I can deal with.
Get squishing them. Let me know how far you get. Clock's ticking.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Orc

I have a question about how this group penalty works, hopefully someone can answer.

Does the penalty stack if there are multiple hybrids in a group? Will a group of 2 rangers get 60% of their gained xp, or .6 * .6 = 36% of their gained xp? Does a group have to suffer each time they invite a hybrid or just the first one? :P
Old 10-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Sarnak

For some in this thread I imagine this will be considered a useless post but I shall post nonetheless.

I have read over and over in this thread references to slowing of experience. In one form or another it's present. Am I missing hearing about a deadline of some sort?

Is it so prevalent now that the idea of playing has gone from chatting and messing around to watch the experience bar move as the sole purpose?

I dunno, but reading this thread seems to make the game seem stressful and almost joblike. I really think now the worst thing I can do is read the board chatter, and the best thing I can do is just log in and immerse in the game.
Closed Thread