Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Supreme noob

Hello, I have honestly never played EQ. I was in asherons call around the time and then transitioned to DAoC which I enjoyed for several years. I regret missing the golden Age and am curious if I would enjoy this? I enjoyed daocs pve for what that's worth and can't commit to staying competetive enough to enjoy uthgard. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Aviak

Give it a try and see. It's fun.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

I think you'll like p99 if you played asheron's call and dark age of camelot back in the day. everquest is a different game but era wise they all have some similarities.
EQ is more pve focused than Daoc was. As mentioned the first ~20 levels are the hardest to get into p99, don't get discouraged if you give it a try.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 03-14-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Spyder is probably right. For the most part getting past things such as the bad controls, the bad UI, and it being an extremely slow pace will be very difficult.

If you can get a free copy of the Titanium client I say there is absolutely no reason not to try it. It's free and pretty easy to get started.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Kobold

I love how welcoming people are to new players. NO DON'T PLAY!!! Sad really.

Give it a try. EQ is fun and P99 is great. Talk to players most are very helpful no matter what people say on the forums. I suggest a solo type class to learn the vibe personally.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Learning the basics is not taught within game as most modern games would with the exception of some tip boxes, which I think is the origin of the comments above

Read this: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

most important talk to people in game. Most of the eq veterans that play this server are happy to explain things about the game. Groups are harder to get going at the lowest levels, but if you start near popular areas like crushbone you can start grouping pretty early on. Don't be afraid to ask strangers if they want to group up.

here is another list of very quick tips: http://wiki.project1999.com/Jval2529...om_Modern_MMOs
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

I started here last week with zero Everquest playing!
People been great the game is a throw back

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Fire Giant

i watched buster keaton's movie the general yesterday and it was nice. i am not nostalgic of the silent movie era and i am used to modern movies QoL improvements like color and sound and naked skinny girls.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by putrid_plum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love how welcoming people are to new players. NO DON'T PLAY!!! Sad really.

Give it a try. EQ is fun and P99 is great. Talk to players most are very helpful no matter what people say on the forums. I suggest a solo type class to learn the vibe personally.
No, you are sad for trying to manipulate people's honest feedback. I doubt anyone on p99 discourage new players from joining, but we do have to set the expectation straight.

The last thing you want is to lure them in, invest hours into the characters and feel like they have accomplished nothing. Being sympathetic to another fellow mmorpg player is what we are, instead of fooling them into this time sinking game and get no excitement out of it.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Aviak

Quote:
The last thing you want is to lure them in, invest hours into the characters and feel like they have accomplished nothing. Being sympathetic to another fellow mmorpg player is what we are, instead of fooling them into this time sinking game and get no excitement out of it.
It's no time sink, if he doesn't like it and quits after a few hours. He played MMORPGs from the era around EQs prime and probably knows what to expect.
Why should he not try the most successful and probably best MMORPG (from that time) and then decide for himself.
Closed Thread