Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 06-20-2023, 10:36 PM
Banned

^
Gorgeous

Mountaineering programs? Interesting. Sounds like something I couldn’t afford but as someone with no direction sense who enjoys socializing I like the idea of going with a group
Old 06-20-2023, 11:05 PM
Sarnak

No, I haven't done any guided trips. I just started local/small and got comfortable on snow. Did hikes on lower grades with microspikes. Then some steeper stuff with crampons. Got comfortable using the ice axe and learning how to self arrest. You'll also meet people out there when you're doing that stuff, and often that can turn into a big learning experience.

Lots of YouTube videos will show you how to use crampons and an ice axe properly. Search for French Technique and Standard crampons usage. Ice Axe stuff search how to self arrest.

After this though you need to actually practice. Take some easy winter hikes in microspikes along flat trails. Do some steeper stuff in crampons and get comfortable with how you move in them.

Find some safe areas where if you slip, there are no bad consequences. Think a long runout at the bottom of a 30-45deg slope. Go there, climb up, and fall down and start sliding in different positions. Stop yourself. This just needs to become second nature because if you find yourself in a slide situation with any sort of actual exposure/consequences, you need to stop soon or you won't be able to at all.

If I ever manage to do a biiiiig objective like Denali (7+ days) I'll def be using a guide program though.

Freedom of the Hills
is the bible for backcountry/mountaineering safety.
Last edited by booter; 06-20-2023 at 11:13 PM..
Old 06-21-2023, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, I haven't done any guided trips. I just started local/small and got comfortable on snow. Did hikes on lower grades with microspikes. Then some steeper stuff with crampons. Got comfortable using the ice axe and learning how to self arrest. You'll also meet people out there when you're doing that stuff, and often that can turn into a big learning experience.

Lots of YouTube videos will show you how to use crampons and an ice axe properly. Search for French Technique and Standard crampons usage. Ice Axe stuff search how to self arrest.

After this though you need to actually practice. Take some easy winter hikes in microspikes along flat trails. Do some steeper stuff in crampons and get comfortable with how you move in them.

Find some safe areas where if you slip, there are no bad consequences. Think a long runout at the bottom of a 30-45deg slope. Go there, climb up, and fall down and start sliding in different positions. Stop yourself. This just needs to become second nature because if you find yourself in a slide situation with any sort of actual exposure/consequences, you need to stop soon or you won't be able to at all.

If I ever manage to do a biiiiig objective like Denali (7+ days) I'll def be using a guide program though.

Freedom of the Hills
is the bible for backcountry/mountaineering safety.
Ya, one of the guys we chatted up on the way up (my Dad is a huge chatty Kathy and insists on talking to literally everyone he passes everywhere…) was talking about how he was practicing “self-arresting?” on my last hike

Personally, I don’t see myself doing enough alpine hikes. I hate the fookin cold, lived in AZ my entire life so I am a desert rat. It’s not that my threshold is that much lower, is that when I do finally get cold I’m miserable and Ima let everyone around me know it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I just watched a Denali disaster story from years ago, multiple dead…
Last edited by unsunghero; 06-21-2023 at 01:02 AM..
Old 06-21-2023, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Love the health stuff you doin, but chiiiiill on chewin your fingernails.. That's cray...
Accidentally smashed in weight plates, lost the nail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-21-2023, 06:13 AM
Banned

Lose weight, nerds
Old 06-22-2023, 02:32 PM
Banned

Sorry Elon, my money would be on Zuck

“It all started when Musk reacted to a report about Meta's Twitter rival. Apparently, Meta chief product officer Chris Cox said the company has "been hearing from creators and public figures who are interested in having a platform that is sanely run." Someone told him to be careful, because Zuckerberg does jiu jitsu now. "I’m up for a cage match if he is," Musk responded. As The Verge reports, Zuckerberg posted a screenshot of the exchange as a story on his Instagram account with the note: "Send Me Location."”

- That “send me location” line is an homage to former undefeated UFC Champion Khabib. Props to Zuck for being an MMA/UFC fan and using the line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81028C14-1CA0-451F-8758-116325048204.jpg (20.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry Elon, my money would be on Zuck

“It all started when Musk reacted to a report about Meta's Twitter rival. Apparently, Meta chief product officer Chris Cox said the company has "been hearing from creators and public figures who are interested in having a platform that is sanely run." Someone told him to be careful, because Zuckerberg does jiu jitsu now. "I’m up for a cage match if he is," Musk responded. As The Verge reports, Zuckerberg posted a screenshot of the exchange as a story on his Instagram account with the note: "Send Me Location."”

- That “send me location” line is an homage to former undefeated UFC Champion Khabib. Props to Zuck for being an MMA/UFC fan and using the line!
I agree. I think i'd be putting my money on Zuck also.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:10 PM
Banned

I heard of this gym before in AZ, and that it was generally celebrity-only, didn’t realize also apparently for pro athletes

Honestly, I think my rich buddy’s gym of platinum-status Lifetime at the Biltmore ($150-200+/month I hear) that I’ve been to is better. His has a pool on the roof with a bar and DJ, place to order food, nicest equipment I ever seen, spa, Olympic pool with water park slides, rock wall, all that shit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=
Old 06-23-2023, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

def would bet on Zuck, feel like Elmo would show up and be like haha what a great joke this was, let's try to put on a fun show and Zuck would go full alien on him
Old 06-23-2023, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
def would bet on Zuck, feel like Elmo would show up and be like haha what a great joke this was, let's try to put on a fun show and Zuck would go full alien on him
A co-worker joked that if Zuck was ever losing to a regular dude in a Jiu Jitsu wrestling match, he could whisper “how about your spouse and family see all your private Facebook messages?”…

…All of a sudden opponent gives up