Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Aviak

Hopefully green gets wiped after each merge and starts over.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee12874 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm so curious to know what happens at the end of Green's timeline. I'm really hoping it's not merged into Blue.
Out of curiosity, what are reasons people would not want green merged onto blue in 3 years?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:55 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Out of curiosity, what are reasons people would not want green merged onto blue in 3 years?
I haven't decided whether to make a character on green or not but I can tell you that if I did decide to, I would never want it moved to blue.

One of the main reasons I would be tempted to play on green is to have a fresh start away from all the bloated wallets of people that have been playing for 10 years that drive prices up. I've only just started playing on blue about 3 months ago maybe. My highest character is level 40 and I haven't gotten to the point where I can really start amassing a good deal of plat. Most things for sale in EC are more than I can afford or priced at silly prices due to the amount of virtual money in circulation (ie: Shralok Pack for 125 plat.)

Starting over on green would allow me and people like me that were late to the game to be on a level playing field with everyone else, at least at the beginning. Why on earth would you want that level playing field to go away at the end of 3 years? You wouldn't, or at least I wouldn't and I would think most people wouldn't. If it's going to go away at the end of 3 years, what's the point of even playing on green? I may as well just stay on blue with the characters I've already sunk time into.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't decided whether to make a character on green or not but I can tell you that if I did decide to, I would never want it moved to blue.

One of the main reasons I would be tempted to play on green is to have a fresh start away from all the bloated wallets of people that have been playing for 10 years that drive prices up. I've only just started playing on blue about 3 months ago maybe. My highest character is level 40 and I haven't gotten to the point where I can really start amassing a good deal of plat. Most things for sale in EC are more than I can afford or priced at silly prices due to the amount of virtual money in circulation (ie: Shralok Pack for 125 plat.)

Starting over on green would allow me and people like me that were late to the game to be on a level playing field with everyone else, at least at the beginning. Why on earth would you want that level playing field to go away at the end of 3 years? You wouldn't, or at least I wouldn't and I would think most people wouldn't. If it's going to go away at the end of 3 years, what's the point of even playing on green? I may as well just stay on blue with the characters I've already sunk time into.
The un-level playing field actually helps you to buy almost every single item except epic MQs, pre-nerf items, and high end Velious loot. The level playing field on Green will make every item that drops more valuable, and even if the number of platinum pieces is lower, the overall value of those platinum pieces will be higher.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Planar Protector

There are lots of great reasons for green but "my level 40 can't afford to have a teenage Orc killed" is probably not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 06-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The un-level playing field actually helps you to buy almost every single item except epic MQs, pre-nerf items, and high end Velious loot. The level playing field on Green will make every item that drops more valuable, and even if the number of platinum pieces is lower, the overall value of those platinum pieces will be higher.
I disagree. I see plenty of Kunark stuff going for over 10k. Can I buy noob gear like a Green Silken Drape for cheaper? Sure, I was actually given 2 of those on my new enchanter I just made. Nice, but it's not something I would use very long. Anything you might actually want to use long term is priced in the thousands. As I type this, there's a Girdle of Rapidity being auctioned for 25k. It's been a long time, but I don't recall much being priced in the thousands on VZ back when I started playing when Kunark first came out and that's because people weren't sitting on hundreds of thousands of plat.

The point remains, if you start on a fresh server then you have the same amount of time to amass wealth as everyone else. You're not starting where everyone else has up to 10 years head start on you in piling up cash.
Last edited by Osprey39; 06-25-2019 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The point remains, if you start on a fresh server then you have the same amount of time to amass wealth as everyone else. You're not starting where everyone else has up to 10 years head start on you in piling up cash.
The opposite side of the coin is that there is plenty of servicable gear that can get you to 60 for dirt cheap because that gear has been farmed for 10 years. Sure, you wont have high end gear at level 40, but you also likely wont be in bronze armor like many will be on green.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:47 AM
Planar Protector

Green drape is end game preplanar gear. The fact you perceive it as newb gear demonstrates to what degree the economy spoils us for anything but the most elusive equipment. On blue you won't use it for long. As you say. On green you're going to be stuck with that tier of gear for almost a year.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green drape is end game preplanar gear. The fact you perceive it as newb gear demonstrates to what degree the economy spoils us for anything but the most elusive equipment. On blue you won't use it for long. As you say. On green you're going to be stuck with that tier of gear for almost a year.
Yeah because there's nothing better but that's not my point. My highest level character right now is my soon to be level 40 Ranger. I'd really like to have a Tolan's bracer for him when he hits level 45 and can use it but I don't have a mountain of cash that I can draw from to buy one and they go for about 5k. Sure I could try leveling places that are good for loot too but those places tend to be busy for obvious reasons. I can get 5k, I'm not trying to say I can't. What I am saying is that bracer costs 5k because there's lots of people that have tens of thousands of plat sitting in their banks. If you don't think the amount of currency in circulation has an effect on prices, just do a little research on the Weimar Republic. It makes prices increase (for goods/services that are of value anyway) and when you come into an economy like that with nothing, you're swimming upstream to obtain comparable equipment to what someone that has been playing here for 10 years can afford. I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation.

On a fresh server, myself or any other player would have the same amount of time to amass wealth as anyone else. Whether you take advantage of that or not is another matter but you start even with everyone else on day 1. If you get put back into the bloated economy of blue after 3 years, your wealth relative to the rest of the server is going to go backwards. That's not arguable, it's a fact.

That's why I would not want to even bother with green if it's going to end up being merged with blue eventually. I may as well just stay on blue with the characters I've already invested time in.

As it stands now, all this talk of green being merged with blue seems to be, from what I've been able to tell by reading this forum, just rampant speculation from players. I've yet to see any comment from an admin saying that is the plan. Until I know what the plan is, I will remain on the fence about playing on green.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Planar Protector

20 years farming plat also means 20 years farming bracers.

That said, sure there will be less plat on green some people might sell items for less, but the really valuable items will be traded by barter not for currency. Or just be used by people who loot them.

The people actually generating the items by clearing content need to saturate their own strata with desirable items before they will trickle down through sales. On blue you have items 15 levels higher than you, meaning anything you find is distributed for greed.

Furthermore, ignoring the fact that you've taken 4 months to hit 39 which calls into question if you have as much time available as everyone else, time isn't the main factor in ability to accumulate wealth. 4 people spending 4 hours on productivity in Eq is with more than one person putting in 16 elf hours.

With all due respect, good luck on getting your tolans bracer 4 months in to green
Last edited by Jimjam; 06-25-2019 at 07:34 AM..
Closed Thread