Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Large Rat

Default Login server no connectivity

Hello,

I am having a problem of not being able to connect to the login server. I contacted my ISP (sasktel) and they said the problem seems to be between us and the "login.eqemulator.net:5998" server as they could not reach it reliably as well. Is there anything else I can do other than wait? I have had no problem in the past.

Thank you
Old 06-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Try a VPN.

The backstory is that Rogean did some network wizardry which improved things for 95+% of players ... but that same wizardry seems to screw a few players. Using a VPN (which you can get for $5-$10/month, and most have free trials so you can see if it helps first) might help fix things. It helps me on Linux, and I've heard reports of it helping Windows users with networking issues.

And even if a VPN isn't a long-term fix, if it does work at least it gives you one more data point to go back to your ISP with.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Large Rat

Wow it actually worked, thank you.

I tried the free trial from Trust.zone and it worked first try. When I turn it off the game will not connect.

What would I say to make my ISP look into this? Or do I just live with having to pay for a VPN now?
Old 06-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Glad I could help [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirjess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would I say to make my ISP look into this? Or do I just live with having to pay for a VPN now?
Honestly "network wizardry" is not my area of expertise (I'm more of a Nilbog than a Rogean). Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can better explain what exactly is going on, but if not I'd just tell your ISP "look guys it works with a VPN but not with you: clearly the VPN is doing something you're not that you should be doing".

And if that doesn't work, maybe try another ISP (or just keep using the VPN; it's also very handy if you ever want to download bit torrents without fear of your ISP yelling at you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Large Rat

Contacted my ISP again today and told them what I tried. He said " Yeah, you will absolutely be having issues with gaming in specific as a major fibre route that connects the majority of Canada to the internet has been cut, it is not our line and I dont know how long it will take" " the VPN must take a different route and that is why it is working".

So maybe I just have to wait...we will see.